need advice/help... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 1 1/2 yo is something else. I have 5 kids, and she is by far the most challenging. When you ask her to do something she just smiles and either just stands there, or does the exact opposite of what you asked.
I need some (nonspanking) ideas on getting her to listen. I feel so frustrated.
#2 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Did your other kids follow verbal instructions really well at her age? If they did, they're unusual; that is typically the age when kids are just starting to show that they understand most of what you say. Is it possible you're remembering what your older kids were like when they were 2 or 3, instead of 1 1/2?

When a toddler does the exact opposite of what you said, there are four common reasons for it:
  • You said, "Don't do X!" and she doesn't understand that phrasing yet; the word that got through to her was "X" so she's doing it.
  • You said, "Could you please X?" as if it were a question, so she thinks you're giving her a choice; she chooses not to do what you asked.
  • She understood what you said, but she really, really wants to do the other thing and can't resist.
  • Past experiences (not necessarily with you) have given her the idea that when people say what you've just said, they don't really mean it, and when she does the opposite they'll think it's cute.
The best way around those first two things is to say what you WANT, not what you don't want, and say it in a firm tone with no questioning sound. For the last one, of course, avoid acting like disobedience is cute or just shrugging it off; gently show her that you meant it.

In general, with toddlers it's best to "help" them do what you need them to do, if they didn't get it on the first try; physically guide her to do it while repeating the instructions in a gentle but firm voice. That helps her to understand exactly what you mean. When you can't do this because you have your hands full, if what you want her to do is to STOP doing something problematic, try to redirect her attention to something totally different that she can do.
txmamaof5 likes this.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#3 of 3 Old 08-09-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you. This seems like great advice, and I think you're right, maybe I'm not remembering this exact age. The thing that's driving me crazy the most is that she smiles while disobeying. It does seem she believes she's being cute.
Thanks again.

Tags
Gentle Discipline , Toddler , Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page