Serious Biting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-22-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are having some extreme emotions with my daughter. I'm a SAHM and caregiver to my MIL that is living with us and experiencing dementia. We are in the process of resolving it with meds and separation but meanwhile my daughter is out of control. We use positive discipline but lately I have been her outlet for rage in a scary situation.

Last night my 3.75 year old daughter bit me so hard in the wrist that my thumb is still numb. She didn't want to wash her hands after using the potty and I gently stepped in and said that since she was having a hard time I would help her. I'm an artist and I work with my hands and I am very upset about this and I'm scared. I was calm and told her it hurt and quickly got out of the situation to cry and my husband took over. We've done some role playing about what to do if she is mad enough to bite but it is going to take some time for it to settle.

I am still really freaked out that my thumb and fingers are still numb and I think I'll see a doctor tomorrow. I am still very upset and scared whenever she loses her temper because I have been bitten seriously over 3 times this week on various parts of my arms and legs. I have given her things to bite as an alternative. I want to help her through this scary phase but her behavior is too much for me.

Whenever I go to use my hand and it hurts or tingles I get mad and want to cry because I use my hands extensively. The incident is long over so it feels weird to say anything more to my child but I am still hurting.

Advice? Tips? Experience?

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am sorry about your hand. I try to be very much on top of things, so I don't loose my guard and get the unexpected kick, punch or bite. If you check out cps - collaborative problem solving approach -Ross Greene we see that biting is a behavior and we want to be essentially working on finding mutually satisfying solutions to problems. We have to find a solution to your hygiene expectations and try to understand what are her concerns that make washing difficult. magnetic therapy  helps for injuries 

Tags
Gentle Discipline

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page