In public - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-01-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a question for moms out there who've been in public when their kiddos threw a tantrum or otherwise misbehaved in a public way.

I know that in a normal scenario, as an onlooker I'm supposed to just look the other way and go about my business.

However, what if I am engaged with the mom when it's happening?

This happens a lot at a local baby clothing store that allows the moms who work there to bring their toddlers. No matter who is there the kids seem to always be very dramatic trying to get mom's attention.

I want to say something to make these moms feel at ease, but I know I'd be mad if a stranger told my out-of-line kid "it's ok" when the behavior is not ok.

What would you say or do in this circumstance, would you still just pretend nothing is happening, or would you say something?

What if it's a friend whose kid is acting up while you are out together? Would you express sympathy, or just ignore the situation?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 4 Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I really feel sympathy when a expression of need comes out in the form of a tantrum. I have so been there! So if the parent is a friend I follow their lead, pat them on the shoulder, or give some support verbally. If the parent is a stranger, I usually say something like, "We've all been there, your doing fine." or something of the sort.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 4 Old 11-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I try to give mom a compassionate look/smile to say "been there, done that, I know how frustrating it is" if I catch her eye. I don't say anything during a tantrum since that will escalate some kids (like mine). If a mom apologizes during or after, I say something like "no worries. It's hard being a toddler/my girl has a rough time too/you handled it well" or something else encouraging and supportive but only if the mom initiates
#4 of 4 Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I always want to, but never do because I'm afraid it'll make matters worse or come across the wrong way. There needs to be a secret hand signal!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page