Terrible 5's - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-26-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I know most of it's my fault for yelling/ not having patience and just giving in too much but I need some advice/ tips on how to deal with my 5 year old! She constantly yells and throw fits about everyday stuff like being asked to brush teeth, picking up, doing chores etc. she hits sometimes when I send her to her room. She throws herself on the ground and kicks like a baby. I have noticed it happens more when she's tired. I think she still requires a nap but she goes to all day kindergarten. She has always been a strong willed child but it got worse when she turned four. I had her brother than but I don't know if that's the reason. She is mean to him but has gotten better the older he gets. They play more now that he's over one and she even wants to get him things now or hugs him. I just think the main problem is me. I never followed through and she knows I always give in. Need some advice please.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th
#2 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Anyone have any advice for this mama?
Bump
#3 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was browsing through this today at the bookstore.  http://www.amazon.com/How-Parent-You-Always-Wanted/dp/1451663900/ref=pd_sim_b_3

It's a condensed version of some of their other books--a great set of ideas for things to say that aren't shouting or nagging.  

#4 of 8 Old 02-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been dealing with this for awhile now, and my child is 10.  She's finally started to get better, but still will overreact to things.  Sometimes I can talk to her and ask her why and what she is thinking. 

Last year we took her to a psychiatrist, because we thought something else was going on.  She had therapy once a week for a couple of months, and it really ended up being designed to give me more techniques for dealing with her behavior, I guess. He gave me a DVD called 1-2-3 Magic.  I watched it and actually liked it, although I had heard of it years ago and thought AP people were against it.  What I found kind of amazing about it was that I felt while watching it that he wouldn't address this completely over the top behavior, but he actually did to a degree. I didn't specifically try the techniques because I had watched the DVD with her in the room, but once I did actually reference the DVD and tell her "That's 1" "That's 2" and she got annoyed and left me alone.

She was doing OK for awhile, but then this fall she got really over the top again.  I actually started giving her Vitamin D because I started to wonder if the lack of sunlight was a problem.  But I really do think consistency is the key, and that is hard for me.  And the not yelling is hard for me.

The other day she was throwing a fit about going to school.  She had stayed up too late at night (because of anxiety and sleep disturbances, which I'm told can be diet related, but I haven't dared to go down that road yet because I know it will be a struggle), and was extremely tired.  Then she was just throwing stuff around and screaming.  I didn't want to send her to school like that, but she has taken too many "mental health days" as it is, and I felt like if she was really tired enough, she would go to sleep at a reasonable time that night (and she did!).  On this day she said a few things that set me off, but I didn't react angrily, I just told her that what she was saying about me was a reflection of how she was feeling...she basically was telling me to stop yelling and being mad, even though I wasn't doing that.  So when I hugged her and told her I was sorry she was so angry, she just cried and said she really had wanted breakfast.  Since we were already late, I went back in and grabbed her something she could eat in the car.  By the time she got to school she was OK, and she ended up having a good day, and then feel asleep on time that night, and stayed asleep.

When she is in the middle of a tantrum, love and hugs don't really work, although they are what I did when she was younger and I didn't want her to hurt herself or the stuff around her.  Sometimes she will get angry and go outside and just take a quiet walk around the yard, and that seems to help ground her.  But it is really frustrating when you ask what seems to be a reasonable question and she just explodes, especially when she blames other people for everything and how she is feeling.

There is a book called The Explosive Child which you might find useful.  And maybe I would too, I haven't read it. 

Devaya likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thx! My daughter does that too where she will say I'm yelling at her and I'm not! It's frustrating bc I know I lack patience but when I'm really trying not to tell and she tells be I am it makes me want to lol. My daughter explodes too they seem a lot alike! I would think she has Aspergers but doesn't lack emotions for sure and connects with people on a certain level! She is very different when socializing though!
Devaya likes this.

#6 of 8 Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Gaahhh.  I've been there, and still am at times!  It's hard to handle because it's so aggravating, and it may take years to get better, but here are a few things that might help:

Sometimes kids really need to feel heard.  I remember this being a big factor in my own frequent-meltdown phase when I was around 7--it felt like my parents Just Didn't Understand, and the more they spoke reasonably to me, the more I felt infuriated that I wasn't allowed to feel the hugely UNreasonable feelings that were overwhelming me.  With my son, sometimes just a few sentences reflecting the ideas he is expressing ("You get tired of picking up so often.  It feels like a lot of work.") with pauses to let him fill in some more details, will get him more receptive to the inevitable ("The Legos need to be put away now.").  I try to say it the way Mister Rogers would; that's my best strategy for keeping my tone calm.  Sometimes it helps to empathize with his feelings ("I get tired of picking up, too.  I wish we had that machine the Cat in the Hat has.") but it's crucial to avoid letting that turn into criticism ("That's why I hate picking up YOUR junk!  I have enough to do already!").

Resist the urge to argue about how you did not either yell at her.  This never helps.  If she feels like you yelled, then in her reality you yelled, and you're not going to be able to argue her into your reality, but the argument will be unpleasant for both of you.  (I keep learning this again and again. hammer.gif)  Also, it's a diversion from the real issue at hand.  Just watch your tone going forward, and continue to speak firmly about what needs to happen: "When you have brushed your teeth, then we can read a story."  (The "when...then..." phrasing can help remind the kid that the task she's resisting is a necessary step toward something more pleasant.)

Full-day kindergarten can be a big adjustment--it was for my son, even after 3+ years of full-day preschool, because although his kindergarten day was actually shorter it was much more structured and had less downtime.  Try to find a way for your daughter to feel really comforted by coming home, have a calm and loving way to settle in and relax a bit before she has to do anything like unpack her stuff.  If she is energetic then and wanting to play play play, that's fine, but be prepared for a sudden loss of energy and drop in mood.  A high-protein snack may help her stay level.  If at all possible, avoid running errands on the way home from school or any other tiring distraction.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#7 of 8 Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You've gotten some great advice. I have a tough 5 year old as well. I really like Dr. Laura Markham's parenting website ahaparenting.com.  Lots of good strategies for gentle discipline, no shouting, no punishment, etc. 

Good luck! 

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#8 of 8 Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I try telling her its ok to be mad, its ok to be sad etc. because I want her to know her feelings are valid. I say its ok to be sad and cry but its not ok to yell. I dont want her thinking she can just scream and disrupt everyone, but maybe I should tell her after and not during lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page