Toddler won't nap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is 2.5. We've had a lot of battles over napping (and bedtime) for the last year. We successfully got her to sleep through the night in her own bed. But naptimes are something else! She clearly is so tired during the day, and needs to go take a nap. But this fighter is willing to play 2-3 hours in her crib, and still not fall asleep.

What makes my situation kinda sticky is that my 8 month old is right next door, and will hear the screams and cries of a sister who refuses to go down. Sometimes, older sis doesn't. But somestimes she does, and we'll have to remove her so she won't wake her sister, who really still needs those naps.

Obviously, she is surviving on this schedule, but from everything I've read, she still needs that nap, even if its just 20 minutes! But she will fight sleep to the last breath! The ONLY thing that has worked is taking her for a drive, but I can't always do that.

Any other moms with a similar-temperament child who found success?.....

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Both mine dropped naps at that age for the same reason. After a few weeks skipping they were fine and never needed to nap unless sick or very overtired.

I would give skipping naps a try and maybe make bedtime slightly earlier to compensate.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My daughter hasn't napped regularily since 2. Same thing...screaming abd crying. We moved bedtime earlier and this seems to work for us.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:16 PM

My 23 month old daughter hasn't napped for at least a month. Her 4 year old brother dropped his nap by 2 as well. They're both totally fine. On a good day, the not-quite-2 year old sleeps from 8:30 pm to 8:30 am (12 hours, usually uninterrupted, though frequently closer to 11 or 11.5 hours, sometimes waking up once or twice). Her 4 year old brother sleeps from about 9 pm to 8 am (11 hours, reliably, with no nighttime wake-ups). I know lots of kids need naps, some up until they're 4 or older, but some just don't.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My two-year old son was fighting naps too and wouldn't sleep except for the car seat. I had some advice to drop his nap too, but I knew that he needed that nap. His behavior changed so negatively as the day progressed. We started getting him down earlier AND keeping his nap, and things are much better. He is much more agreeable about taking a nap now and actually tells me when it's time. Whew! I will say that if there is something that keeps him from napping in that perfect window of opportunity, everything can still fall apart. He has to go to sleep RIGHT when he needs to, both for nap-time or bed-time, or it's a total wreck. He will then fight it. Maybe that's what's happening with your LO? Maybe she is tired before you realize it and then revs up again. Take a look at Pantley's book for toddlers. It was very helpful for me.

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

Old 03-07-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

My daughter (3 in April) has not napped in 6 months. She does not need it. Best advice I got about this is that if the child gives up naps with little impact on night sleep, they are ready to not nap anymore. Like other PPs we did move her nighttime sleep up by about a half hour. She sleeps from 6:30-7. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 04-02-2014, 02:20 AM

I do not have toddlers any more, my kids at 7,9 and 17 years, but when my oldest use to do this, Id trying putting aside a little time to spend with  him

So maybe you could try reading a story to her before she naps, and that might would help or maybe even singing a special song. 

hijab.gif  Super Muslimah  Mom to   Two amazing boys fencing.gif Cj(born March 1997) Adam ( born April 2005)  and Princess Aliyyah my little  high strung  over active girl   . hippie.gif March 2007 .

User Tag List