Irritating two-year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Love DS to the moon and back, but in the spirit of "fun" he likes to be very physical with us and it's really irritating. He gets up in the recliner while I'm nursing DS2 and climbs around my back pushing on my neck. When we are lying in bed reading to him, he will get up on DH and knee his chest or sit straddling him and bounce up and down on him really hard. He will come up to me and play with my hair, then get his hands stuck and laugh and pull on me. When I'm sitting, he will put his little pointy feet on my thighs and jump on me. It hurts! And it's annoying! And when we get annoyed, he laughs at us. Sigh. Love that kid, but this is hard when taking care of an infant. My patience is running thin. 

(I should mention that he loves to do everything with me and I am NOT the type of person who has ever spent a lot of time sitting down. Typically we are busy all day, working around the house or going outside. But when I started being stuck in a chair nursing DS2, he started this behavior. When I was pregnant and needing to rest a lot, he would just lay with me and nurse. That's also not always an option now since I am always nursing DS2)

What strategies do y'all have? Distraction/redirection ain't working.

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Hugs to you mama. My 2 year old I feel beats us up all the time on accident!
Humm, what do I do. I think making activity bags is a great idea. We just recently got Woden train tracks so ds loves to do that. Coloring books are big here too.. I guess it is like distraction." Bubbles, why don't you go color or park your cars in the garage?" Ds" oh yeah" me " nice"
Does your ds play alone at times?
#3 of 6 Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

He can definitely play alone and that's a sanity-saver. Sometimes when he is being too physical, I tell him that I need space and could he go to his room and play. That works maybe 20% of the time. I'm worried though that he is needing attention and that this is too dismissive. I also don't think it's fair/respectful of him to harass me all day, so where's the line? 

I definitely would say that he needs more activity. He doesn't get to go outside very much since we have a (very fussy) infant that I'm focusing on lately (and it's too cold outside for DS2). He definitely is the type that gets cooped up inside, so I think he's letting his energy out on us. What can I channel it into right now!?

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

#4 of 6 Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
We also just got a small workout trampoline and our ds loves it. We sit right next to it while he jumps and we sing songs and put pillows around it when he wants to jump off of the trampoline. One, he uses energy and two, we are doing the activity together( he feels that way) when actually he's doing most of it. Could you find something like this that can be done while you are breast-feeding? Also, can you just have a heart to heart with him and have him use his words when he wants to play with you? And then you can make various play dates (5 minutes) throughout the day.
#5 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Are you expressing PAIN or only annoyance?  Tell him and show him that he is HURTING you.  Even exaggerate a little.  Don't yell at him, but don't just say, "Jumping hurts Mommy," in a sugary gentle voice; say, "OWWW!!!"  Make sure he understands that he's hurting you.  That may help.

However, kids this age don't necessarily feel much empathy and may not understand that other people really do feel things the way they do.  More physical activity is a great idea.  You could give him little tasks like, "Run around that chair 5 times!  Now, can you do it hopping on one foot?"

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi htovjm,

My guess is that he wants your attention because he's having to now share it with his sibling.  He's asking for attention in one of the few ways he knows how. Another guess is that he might feel a little bit hurt that you are giving so much attention to his sibling - attention that he used to get, so I wonder if being rough is one way he might be dealing with his hurt/anger.

Here's one article that talks about the importance of spending one on one time with the older sibling.

Parent Quality Time Helps Sibling Relationships

Kelly Pfeiffer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page