need some insight on books for my 6 year old child with PDD-NOS, ADHD, and ODD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS and ADHD since 2011 and the ODD since 2013. My son was receiving therapies mainly for the PDD-NOS but for unseen circumstances we are no longer getting those services. So I am forced to look elsewhere for help. Since the help with the therapy has stopped its like we have taken a huge jump back and we are in the same place we are in last year, for example sneaking around getting into things like candy, cookie(when we have them), or outright taking things that does not belong to him. He's also very aggressive towards me but mostly towards his little brother and also sometimes his older step sister. He yells, screams and slams his door. I've tried counting and all he does he count with me and then laughs cause he thinks its funny to push my buttons. I've tried corner, time out chairs, quiet time in his room but its to the point to where nothing is working any more and I am unaware of what I can do.

I know that most of this behavior is part of the ADHD and ODD so that leads me to my first question. Can anyone recommend any books on these subjects so I can help teach myself how to deal and teach me ways to work on making it an easier living situation. Also I know that PDD-NOS is a vague diagnosis but was wondering if anyone has found any books out there that could help me, help him and our family life.

Thanks in advance for any advice if any.

#2 of 5 Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 PM

This might not be the answer you were hoping for, but have you ever tried NOT TO research and read about the 'disorders', not to focus on what's wrong with your child and trying to treat it...but instead looking at what he's good at and focusing on that? I have had tremendous success with that in my work with children with special needs. The more you research the 'problem', the more real the problem becomes. When you stop focusing on the problem, often it ends up disappearing - or at least becoming a negligible issue.

Labels are a dangerous thing, ESPECIALLY for young children - the earlier the diagnosis, the more it will determine who they are and how others see them. It often prevents the children from ever reaching their true potential, because everyone always focuses on what they can't do and tries to fix that. Just a thought.

#3 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Besides the therapy I have tried not to research that is up until lately because of all the back talking and misbehaving that we do get from him now is what is making me research it. I need help to control the behaviors that I am getting from him. Ive been around many kids and even if I didn't have a diagnosis I would know that something was wrong in the sense of the ODD. He is very defiant and its not just towards me its also towards his 15 month old brother and 13 year old step sister. This is the only kind of behavior we get and that is why I am trying to find some kind of way to get help for myself to understand how to help him.

#4 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)

The book The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Deviant Child is the best I know of for dealing with the disipline problems.  Don't get the ebook, get one that comes with the training CD. It's a quite positive parenting method.  As a matter of fact, you need the CD because your will probably never learn to be that enthusiastically positive without seeing the trainers do it on the CD.  Kazdin runs the Yale Child Clinic and he says he has an 85% success rate with the hard cases.  Note that this probably will not help with the developmental disorder that may be impacting his learning potential, you might want to look a DYI approaches to Autism if you can't get therapy.

BTW, just curious, does your son ever behave in a good or tolerable manner?

#5 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 02:49 PM

I suggest that you post your question in the special needs forum http://www.mothering.com/community/f/157/special-needs-parenting There is lots of good advice over there!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page