Need help with toddler... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-09-2005, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
nym

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 18 month old toddler is very independant and I try to parent the TCS way. But, I'm also a tired single mama who is pregnant.

I need some ideas about what to do with these issues...

* Taking large wooden toys (and when I put those toys away other toys) and hitting me with them. Laughing, and doing it again.

* Putting things in the toilet, pulling them out and getting water everywhere (he also broke the toilet tank lid the 2nd day after I moved in)

*opening the oven and putting things in it. He knows hot, he has been burned, but yet he still opens the oven, he still puts stuff in it, he climbs in it. He will do this whether it is on or not.

I'm being very simplistic in my descriptions, I can elaborate. I'm just getting so tired and frustrated and mad.
#2 of 7 Old 02-09-2005, 04:51 PM

I think our 18 month olds went to the same school of thought. Here are my ideas...

The toilet...can you close the bathroom door? Can he open the bathroom door...would he be able to open it if you had a child proof doorknob? I know some toddlers are VERY clever and can figure out loopholes in our childproofness.

The oven...I know there are some latches that keep adventurous toddlers out. But again...would he be able to figure it out...

Let me know if you're interested...and if you need to I can go out and get these things and mail them to you if it helps. No sweat.

About the hitting...Ugh...I'm right there with you. I don't know what to do but redirect and take the toys away...for now. lol

PM me if you need to.
And take care. This phase does end.

edited to say: they also make latches for the toilet lids...do you think that would help? Talk to you soon!!

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#3 of 7 Old 02-10-2005, 12:09 PM

The things that you mentioned are all babyproofing issues. Toilet latches, door latches and gates should help. Redirect for hitting by showing him what he can hit (i.e., the floor, the couch, etc.).

Good luck!
#4 of 7 Old 02-10-2005, 12:42 PM

My 2 year old went through a one month period of hitting and kicking me. If I made a big deal out of it, this only seemed to encourage her. If I turned her around while doing whatever I was doing (diaper change, clothes dressing, etc.) so she couldn't physically get to me -- and did NOT make a big deal out of it -- she would promptly stop trying. I guess for her, the fun was seeing mama turn three shades of red and get all upset. As soon as I stopped giving her the reaction she was looking for, the hitting/kicking ended.
#5 of 7 Old 02-10-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Herr
My 2 year old went through a one month period of hitting and kicking me. If I made a big deal out of it, this only seemed to encourage her. If I turned her around while doing whatever I was doing (diaper change, clothes dressing, etc.) so she couldn't physically get to me -- and did NOT make a big deal out of it -- she would promptly stop trying. I guess for her, the fun was seeing mama turn three shades of red and get all upset. As soon as I stopped giving her the reaction she was looking for, the hitting/kicking ended.

Wow! That makes sense. I'm going to try that with Willow!! Thanks for the tip, even though it wasn't for me. lol

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 07:06 AM

You can get oven and toilet latches at the Save On.
We got an oven latch because DD was doing that with the stove, she hadn't burned herself yet but we knew it was coming.
Right now we're in a place where it's possible to keep the bathroom door closed most of the time, and when it's not we're in there with her... but there's no window in the room so I imagine that particularly in the summer this won't be as easy an option. So we'll probably pick up a toilet latch.

The oven latch we got was $4, and I think the toilet is cheaper. I'm pretty certain an 18monther couldn't get through the oven latch. It requires some strength!

As far as hitting, DD does this too. I think it's very normal for this age. She used to do it a lot more then she does now. Distraction, redirection, be a broken record.
"Ouch! That hurts mom. I don't like it when you do that." Take the toy away, "How about you play with this instead?" Pass over something soft. Also, I learned how to watch her hands out of the corner of my eye, and stop her just before she hit, take the toy, put it away, and do something else. It seemed to go nowhere at first, but persistance paid off and it did get better.

:

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#7 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 04:09 PM

Hey, nym! how is the new place?

He is probably adjusting to the change as well. He needs time to adjust and get used to the new. I know it is not easy being preggers, but it should subside soon.

And the PP mentioned some great things as well.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page