13 mo pinching, redirection no help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2005, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pinching is dd's favorite sport. she pinches my neck, face, arm, anything. I try to laugh it off, tickle her and change the subject--that is my favorite distraction--but she usually resists, shoves me away. if I put her down she screams and throws a fit. sometimes I can distract with a favorite book, but not often. I can feel the tone of my voice beginning to change after the 4th time I redirect, and I don't like the angry edge creeping in. ideas?

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 10:33 PM

My 13 month old loves to pinch too. Usually I say, "please don't pinch, that hurts mama" which she totally ignores and continues on with her little fingers. She mostly pinches my breasts when nursing. After about 4 or 5 times I hold onto her hands, lightly, and kiss her fingers or blow on her hands to keep them occupied. This usually works for a while. I also try to keep her nails short so that it doesn't hurt so much. But mostly I am just waiting until this phase passes.....
Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking I probably have to take the "this too shall pass" approach. I need to sit down with the baby books again, too. part of my frustration, I think, is not being sure of when (developmentally speaking) I will be able to communicate more clearly about appropriate/inappropriate behavior. yes, I know she's way too young for that now.

anyone know a reformed pincher? when will this end?

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 02-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Well, some good news - it does pass. When dd was that age the insides of both of my breasts were black and blue from the pinching. She was like a kitten going off to sleep and would pinch as she nursed. I had to be defensive - putting my hand over my breast while she was nursing ( I still have to do this to stop the twiddling - but thats another story ) So I usually nurse dd while laying down, because I need at least one hand for protection!

We figured it was a combination of learning fine motor skills and wanting to be close. But tell her that it hurts and make a sad face. The same went for pulling my hair while nursing (its now been in a ponytail for over a year) We would show her how to "be gentle". This is something we are still working on - as she learns new skills its new challenges.

So the good news is, pincing passes. The bad news is, something else takes its place.... so coming up with effective strategies is really helpful. You just have to see what works with your dd.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:08 PM

My 12mo is pinchy, too. If distracting, redirecting, and hiding the area he wants to pinch don't help, then I'll put him down or stop nursing for a moment. Then I'll pick him up/start nursing again, then stop if he pinches again. I try to be consistent, so he eventually gets the "pinching means I get put down" equation, but I don't leave him down--I pick him up again after about one second if he wants me to. It seemed to help with my others, so I'm hoping it will help with this one, too. (If he's sleepy and nursing and pinching, then just covering up or gently holding his hand usually works fine).

User Tag List