My 3 year old won't listen to Daddy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2005, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I have been blessed with a fun, carefree, happy, gentle little boy . I have not had many difficulties with parenting him. He always seems to want to please and loves the encouragemant and praise we give him. Ok, so here it comes, he is this way with me but never listens to my GENTLE husband. Gabe is very patient,caring and loving to Riley and although they get along so well, Riley has been refusing to listen to Gabe. He won't even let Gabe help him anymore. Gabe has resorted to counting to 3 (which my I add I don't fully agree and he has never reached 3, I asked Gabe what he would do if he got to 3 and he didn't even know...it wouldn't be hitting or yelling that I am sure of).So as Gabe and I were discussing this I thought of all you mamas out there and was wondering if any of you have any advice for us .

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2005, 04:52 AM

That's got to be hard for dad. Counting is not effective at anything other than teaching children how to count or reinforcing the child's knowledge that the parent isn't going to do anything.

This may be as simple as mean what you say and say what you mean. Let dad handle things that go on between him and your son. When dad tells him to do something then he should follow through right away, no counting. Say dad tells Gabe to come to the table. If Gabe doesn't come, dad goes and picks him up and takes him to the table. It sounds like Gabe will respond well, he has been smart enough to figure out already that dad isn't effective.

Another thing that may work well for dad that is very easy is first, then. First we will (whatever dad wants him to help with), then we will (something that will appeal to Gabe). First pick up the toys, then we will go outside.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Old 02-19-2005, 12:31 PM

what is daddy trying to say?

Is he saying "let' read a story" ? or is he saying, "You must do this, that and the other now". ?

DS is 3 right? What kind of relationship do they have when DS is not being "parented"?

a

The anti-Ezzo king
Old 02-19-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

My husband and son have a good relationship..they always spend time together playing and enjoying each others company. Riley not listening usually occurs when I am around, so that might be the problem. I'm wondering if he thinks he doesn't HAVE to listen because Mama is there. I am also alittle more firm, and I always follow through. I don't know what to do....

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!

User Tag List