Very interesting article!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-07-2005, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put this in GD instead ofnews and current events because I felt this statement was very interesting....

Quote:
Other research at BYU has shown that physically and relationally aggressive children are more likely to have parents who discipline with psychological control and manipulation, withdrawing love, avoiding eye contact and laying guilt trips on the kids.

Whole article: Study: Meanness in Girls Can Start at 3

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/mean_girls

To me that is a *no brainer* but would still be interested in learning more....and passing it along to some mainstreamers...
#2 of 2 Old 05-07-2005, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is an emerging body of research that suggests that aggressive behavior is socially rewarded by other children-- in the article you posted, in kids as young as three-- in this research, by 4th to 6th graders:

http://www.selfhelpmagazine.com/arti...gressboys.html

I think it's really clear by watching toddlers that they understand that aggression (whether physical aggression or the "relational" (mean words) aggression) has a big impact on others-- your peers and the adults around you. Even when children are parented without physical punishment, they can quickly figure out the rewards of hitting, biting, etc.

We should not be surprised by the use of aggression in children, even young ones. Adult men who batter do not grow up and start battering for the first time in their lives-- rather, they've practiced it on their siblings, playmates, and classmates.

In my son's former preschool/daycare, there was lots of relational aggression by the 2-3 year old crowd (usually girls). Both boys and girls were really into social power, and they found out that one of the ways to acquire it was by demeaning and excluding other kids. It was icky.

As long as our culture rewards aggression, we will continue to see it from everybody.

Karla

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page