4 year old not being nice to baby sister - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-01-2006, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to this forum and this is my first time posting. I have been reading some. My older dd just turned 4 yrs old. She is sweet, smart, strong willed and a spirited little girl. My second dd is 9 months. My older dd aboslutely LOVES babies and wanted a baby soo bad. She LOVES her baby sister, but recently has been showing alot of jealousy and unacceptalbe behaviors towards her. My baby is very mobile and of course is very interested in older dd's toys and what she is doing. My older dd is constantly taking things from the baby or putting things up on the table so the baby can't get to them. She has hurt the baby accidently by pulling a carpet out from under her or a blanket ( I don't think she realized she was going to hurt the baby). She also sometimes tries to pick her up, which could also lead to the baby getting hurt. I have tried explaining to her in a very calm voice that she needs to be careful and kind to her baby sister and how much the baby loves her. I am just at my wits end and want to handle this in the most gentle way I can. I have been trying to spend extra one on one time with her too. I know some of her action are for attention. Any advice on how to best handle this situation gently? I just don't feel I can ignore these behaviors for the safety of my little one and I want to instill kindness in my older dd. Any help would be appreciated.
#2 of 2 Old 03-01-2006, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Something I just tried today and dd seemed to respond to...Maybe it can work for you. On Friday dd ran out of the store we were in, gone for like 2 minutes totally freaked me out. We talked about it but she's hard to talk to she kept saying "I know!"

So tonite I told her a story about a little mouse who went to a circus and ran away from mother mouse... made it up as I went along but the plot was the same! Do I make any sense? I got the idea from a MDC mom who said it was a good way to to teach while not making you dc feel bad. They can recongnize bad behaviors in a story maybe they will see how their action effect others...we can only hope! Just remember to change the name of the characters!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page