Most conservative Christian Discipline book? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-04-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is still GD, of course?

My spanking friend sent me a gift subscription of "Home School Digest", which included an article by Michael Pearl. So I decided I will reciprocate, and send her a Christian Discipline book .

I didn't want to hijack the book recommendations thread, but I saw a couple on there. I think she would be most likely to read the most conservative one out there, just based on the material in the "Home School Digest". Any ideas?

Mommy to kids

#2 of 28 Old 04-04-2006, 06:04 PM

What about a subscription to Mothering? Since she sent you something she enjoys, why not reciprocate that way?

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#3 of 28 Old 04-04-2006, 06:09 PM

I don't know how "conservative" it is, but it has a lot of good arguements for it.
http://www.aolff.org/2.html

Grace Based Discipline

Crystal Lutton wrote a book called Biblical Parenting about it.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#4 of 28 Old 04-04-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C
What about a subscription to Mothering? Since she sent you something she enjoys, why not reciprocate that way?
agreed. Baring that, try "families where grace is in place"
#5 of 28 Old 04-04-2006, 06:11 PM

Crystals book is froma conservative standpoint and it is an excellent book by the way. Good Luck.
#6 of 28 Old 04-04-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C
Well, yes, I guess that would be truly reciprocating in kind. But I'd really like to get through to her, too, and give her something she could use to convince her dh. I think he'd reject anything that seemed the least bit liberal.

Mommy to kids

#7 of 28 Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
I don't know how "conservative" it is, but it has a lot of good arguements for it.
http://www.aolff.org/2.html

Grace Based Discipline

Crystal Lutton wrote a book called Biblical Parenting about it.
I think she's conservative but the fact that she's a pastor might freak your friend out.

Dr. Sears has a Christian parenting book and he talks about women and men having different roles so it comes across as conservative.
#8 of 28 Old 04-04-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
I think she's conservative but the fact that she's a pastor might freak your friend out.

Dr. Sears has a Christian parenting book and he talks about women and men having different roles so it comes across as conservative.
Oh, yeah, I don't think that would work. I don't think they go in for female pastors, as far as I know.

I've thought about Dr. Sears, but I know her dh is super-anti-co-sleeping, and I'm sure that comes up in the Christian parenting book, right?

Mommy to kids

#9 of 28 Old 04-04-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natensarah
Oh, yeah, I don't think that would work. I don't think they go in for female pastors, as far as I know.

I've thought about Dr. Sears, but I know her dh is super-anti-co-sleeping, and I'm sure that comes up in the Christian parenting book, right?
it does
#10 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 02:44 PM

Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel may go over better than Crystal's book if you think that they may be put off by Crystal being a female pastor. Dr Sear's Christian parenting book is more focused on infants and very young toddlers than older children and discusses breastfeeding/cosleeping, etc in it not just discipline in general.
Theresa Whitehurst also has some good Christian discipline books that apply to older children. There is also How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk which isn't Christian based, but a very good positive discipline style book.
#11 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 03:51 PM

How about this crazy book by Jamie Pritchett, Lots of Love and a Spanking.It's almost sickening to read the description of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...Fencoding=UTF8
#12 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Dr. Sears is also Catholic, which might make him less appealing to them if they're Protestants.
#13 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaG
How about this crazy book by Jamie Pritchett, Lots of Love and a Spanking.It's almost sickening to read the description of this book.
: I'd take out the "almost"! There's plenty to dislike, but what bothered me most was this:
Quote:
Lots of Love and a Spanking! is a discipline plan for children using the old-fashioned method of spanking to teach obedience and respect. But spanking with a difference! Not the screaming, red-faced, violent beating that many people imagine when they hear the word; but "a few hard whacks on the bottom, given by a calm parent...."
Pritchett may think this justifies the hitting, but I tend to agree with George Bernard Shaw: "If you strike a child, take care that you strike it in anger. A blow in cold blood neither can nor should be forgiven."
#14 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 PM

Clay Clarkson has just put out a new book called
"Disciplining the Whole Hearted Child" and it does not endorse spanking. He studies out all the newer translations of the "rod" scriptures.

they have their own website, called www.wholeheart.org

you can order their stuff there. Sally, his wife, writes the best and sweetest christian mama books ever...The mission of motherhood, and the ministry of motherhood.
#15 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaG
How about this crazy book by Jamie Pritchett, Lots of Love and a Spanking.It's almost sickening to read the description of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...Fencoding=UTF8
I believe the original poster is looking for books that are Christian, conservative, and gentle discipline minded.
#16 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 05:46 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#17 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom
Clay Clarkson has just put out a new book called
"Disciplining the Whole Hearted Child" and it does not endorse spanking. He studies out all the newer translations of the "rod" scriptures.

they have their own website, called www.wholeheart.org

you can order their stuff there. Sally, his wife, writes the best and sweetest christian mama books ever...The mission of motherhood, and the ministry of motherhood.
I have Mission of Motherhood and I loved it! easy read and made a lotta sense....I was hoping to someday get the discipline book.I think the Clarksons books are great Christian parenting resources.
#18 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 05:56 PM

You can go over to gentle christian mothers and see what's on their book lists.
#19 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM

I second the book by Tim Kimmel. Even some Christian friends who were using Babywise thought Kimmel made a lot of sense and respected his views. I loved the book!
#20 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindergirl77
You can go over to gentle christian mothers and see what's on their book lists.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#21 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reviving this thread, whoever is responsible! I ended up getting "Grace-Based Parenting" and sending it to her, but I haven't talked to her since. We live a long ways away and talk kind of sporadically, so I'm hoping she's just been too busy to call, and wasn't offended.

I didn't know that Dr. Sears was Catholic. My friend's a born-again, evangelical Christian. I don't what the official name is. I'm going to look at wholeheart.org now.

Mommy to kids

#22 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 06:02 PM

oh yea- and "Heartfelt Discipline" by clarkson is a great recommendation.
http://www.wholeheart.org/books_heartfelt.asp
#23 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 06:02 PM

i thought dr sears wasnt catholic, just plain old christian?? I read his christian parenting bookand never picked up any catholic stuff at all???????
#24 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for reviving this thread, whoever is responsible! I ended up getting "Grace-Based Parenting" and sending it to her, but I haven't talked to her since. We live a long ways away and talk kind of sporadically, so I'm hoping she's just been too busy to call, and wasn't offended.

I didn't know that Dr. Sears was Catholic. My friend's a born-again, evangelical Christian. I don't what the official name is. I'm going to look at wholeheart.org now.
I have been reading GBP by Kimmel lately and I don't see a ton that a parent in either direction could disagree on honestly (I'm about half way through the book). It is a very positive book that discusses using gentle methods to direct your child and help them grow as a person w/o going into great depth into opposing methods to offend someone so far what I have read. I think you made a good choice!

I didn't know Sears was Catholic, either. Whether he is Catholic or protestant, it doesn't seem that his writing in the Christian parenting book is slanted in either direction simply just biblically based (I like that he does go into depth in his book in pointing out the misconception about the "rod" verses regarding discipline that many writers make).
#25 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom
i thought dr sears wasnt catholic, just plain old christian?? I read his christian parenting bookand never picked up any catholic stuff at all???????
It's entirely possible I'm wrong about that ... I could have SWORN he was Catholic, but now I can't find anything to back that up! Maybe I just heard about him from a "crunchy Catholic" and accidentally associated him with Catholics for that reason. Oops!
#26 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM

OK, looks like I didn't entirely make that up ... they used to be Catholic, but are not Catholic anymore:

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/8148/sears.html

Quote:
As for their personal beliefs, they grew up Catholic. In fact, Dr. Sears was at one time in training for the priesthood. God led him in another direction, and he and his wife now have eight children. They have been part of several evangelical congregations in California and elsewhere and currently are members of Capistrano Valley Baptist Church.
Well, at least now I know I'm not crazy.
#27 of 28 Old 06-02-2006, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've read Sears' christian parenting book (haven't read the others, although I really want Crystal Lutton's book-- and btw, I'm almost certain she is Nazarene, which is a very conservative denomination) and I love it. I give it to everyone in my church at their baby shower. He talks about responding to our babies as so many of the scriptures talk about. Sears has a way of explaining things that make so much sense! I highly recommend him.

Plus, the fact that he and his wife had 8 children is super encouraging (christian or not). He is very candid about how they had to change their parenting style when their daughter came along. The other parenting books (Ezzo and such) are all one-size parenting.

Also, point out to your friend the ezzo.info site and that Ezzo was excommunicated from two churches---one from John MacArthur. That is a very big deal.
#28 of 28 Old 06-03-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinzluvsGJ
I believe the original poster is looking for books that are Christian, conservative, and gentle discipline minded.
I thought I was missing something! I thought she was looking for "spare the rod" type books, which aren't exactly gentle discipline. I thought she was going to send the book as a joke! And I was thinking, oh, I don't know how much her friend is going to appreciate this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page