Do you know anyone who spanks? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 154 Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellona
I find alot of hostility from people who do spank that hear that I don't.
I've noticed this as well, even from family. I honestly believe it's because, deep down, they know it is wrong, even if they won't admit it. Therefore, in order to protect themselve from feeling guilty, they immediately put up a hostile front.
#152 of 154 Old 06-23-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting
I've noticed this as well, even from family. I honestly believe it's because, deep down, they know it is wrong, even if they won't admit it. Therefore, in order to protect themselve from feeling guilty, they immediately put up a hostile front.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#153 of 154 Old 06-23-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting
ITA.

I don't think anyone thinks assaulting their child is an okay thing to do. I think ppl do it because of desperation, because they don't know a better way, because they haven't dealt with the pain of abuse from their own childhoods, etc. Hence the defensiveness.
#154 of 154 Old 07-03-2006, 03:36 PM

API was very nice and chose not to take a more detailed position. (This was simply a discussion about what position persons leading the AP movement should take regarding the label Attachment Parent, and API was just one example of leadership.)

Here is what I wrote (to which they were responding):
Quote:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to request a clarification of API's position on one issue. (Not trying to be too formal; I tend to write this way for clarity. There's a discussion going on between friends and we could benefit from a clarification of API's position.)

Your FAQ says in part:
Do I have to practice all of the attachment parenting ideals to be an attachment parent?

No. We recognize that families have various circumstances in their lives that may preclude them from practicing all the attachment parenting "ideals". We also want parents to know that AP is not a "one size fits all" formula for parenting. What we want parents to understand is the core emotional and psychological needs babies have, even before birth. Parents who recognize these needs will make decisions based on what their child needs, not on what the parenting books or other experts say you must do. Attachment parenting comes from the heart. As a sensitive parent you will be sensitive to what your child needs regardless of your life circumstances.

Please clarify as follows.

True or false: From API's viewpoint, a parent may "be an attachment parent" even if she does not ASPIRE to any one or two of the parenting ideals.

True or false: From API's viewpoint, a parent may "be an attachment parent" if she chooses to use positive discipline, but also chooses to use noncorporeal punishment.

True or false: From API's viewpoint, a parent may "be an attachment parent" if she chooses to use positive discipline sometimes, but also chooses to use punishment sometimes, whether spanking or nonviolent.

The two positions in our discussion can be summarized as follows:

AP community leadership should not promote "deal breakers" (such as spanking) defining an Attachment Parent; such are dogmatic and unhelpful in expanding the various good practices of ideals of the AP movement.
versus
AP community leadership should discourage parents who choose to spank from referring to themselves as Attachment Parents, because for example, these parents set a bad example for others. This is true whether or not such parents co-sleep, nurse, practice many aspects of positive discipline, avoid separations, are in high touch relationships, etc.
I have pointed to your FAQ to show that API would support of the first of the two positions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page