Love and Logic? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-21-2006, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have any of you read this book? If so what do you think about it? I read it long before finding this forum and thought it was great, but now I'm not so sure. There is alot in it I still like (for example: advice like giving the child a choice between wearing or carrying his jacket on a snowy day rather than insisting they wear it) but some of it feels icky (for lack of a better word) like saying "uh oh" and giving time outs for every infraction.

Any thoughts?
#2 of 15 Old 06-21-2006, 01:31 AM

Haven't read it, but I disagree with the behaviouralist approach to parenting, and do not believe in timeouts. So I'm guessing I would not like it.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 15 Old 06-21-2006, 08:44 AM

I've read it, and there are some things I agreed with and a lot of things I disagreed with. The good thing about it is that you can take whatever parts work for you and leave the rest. One thing I agreed with was giving choices as much as possible. But many of the choices talked about I thought were false choices, things that I wouldn't have a "rule" about in the first place. And I don't agree with the time outs, and some parts of it are just creepy, like saying "I love you" after giving a punishment. Basically I think it's a good underlying method, but the way it's explained in the book is much too controlling IMO.
#4 of 15 Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 AM

yeah, a few things resonated with me, but by the end of the book i was totally turned off.

-going without food was a frequent alternative choice to behaving: you can show you want to participate with the family by helping clean right now, or you can choose not to participate with the family and not have dinner tonight. um yeah... sending kids to bed without their supper... pretty old school. and it seems like a huge stretch to make that a natural consequence at all. and if it's a logical consequence it seems like a pretty cruel one to me, and one likely to set up food issues.

-"basic german shepherd" my stomach turned when i read this! they say you should expect your child to follow basic commands like stop and come here by the time they're crawling, and if not, starting around 10 months you should spank them for infractions of this. (at least they didn't seem to advocate spanking for anything other than this kind of violation.) let's see... dogs are pack animals whose lives depend on conforming to the pack... humans are a little different - why do we need to make them heel and enforce it with physical violence? besides which people manage to train dogs without hitting them, too.

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#5 of 15 Old 06-21-2006, 03:27 PM

I know they advocated spanking in their earlier book, but I'm pretty sure they've since disavowed it. The one I read didn't mention spanking. There was a lot of food control, though, which I vehemently disagree with in any form.
#6 of 15 Old 06-21-2006, 03:37 PM

I haven't read it in a long time. I remmeber liking a lot of it, but that it just didn't seem appropriate for YOUNG kids, like under 7-8.
#7 of 15 Old 06-22-2006, 03:48 PM

ah, good to know they've taken the spanking out of newer editions. i should contact my library and let them know they have an out-of-date edition that advocates spanking...grrr.

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#8 of 15 Old 06-22-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzaluna
ah, good to know they've taken the spanking out of newer editions. i should contact my library and let them know they have an out-of-date edition that advocates spanking...grrr.
http://www.loveandlogic.com/pdfs/spank.pdf

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#9 of 15 Old 06-24-2006, 10:44 AM

It is good that they've stopped endorsing spanking, but sad that they think that saying kids would rather be spanked than have "love and logic" done to them is somehow an endorsement of the program....
#10 of 15 Old 06-24-2006, 03:14 PM

OMG! So, per #4 and #5 from the linkie, since it makes the kids feel even worse than a spanking, it's the better method? Are they admitting that it's more sadistic punisment than hitting, and therefore better parenting?!

:Puke

Wish there was a #7 about how they how remorseful they are about furthering the idea of hitting children.
#11 of 15 Old 06-26-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aira
OMG! So, per #4 and #5 from the linkie, since it makes the kids feel even worse than a spanking, it's the better method? Are they admitting that it's more sadistic punisment than hitting, and therefore better parenting?!

:Puke

Wish there was a #7 about how they how remorseful they are about furthering the idea of hitting children.
Note also how their idea of effectiveness is synonymous with suffering--because, of course, the method that inflicts the most suffering is the most "effective." They really shouldn't pretend that that part of what they advocate is logical consequences, but rather more creative (and, apparently, more painful) punishments. There *are* good points in it, but you have to sift through all the creepy punitive stuff.
#12 of 15 Old 06-26-2006, 01:01 AM

I wish the search function were active, because there was a great thread about L&L about a year or so ago.

Blech. It sounds pretty demented to me. But I'm sure it's written so as to seem very straightforward and...logical. :

The thing that gets me is the stock phrases that parents are supposed to use: "I love you too much to argue," etc. The sense of frustration and rage that it must engender in children when their parents turn into smug, authoritarian robots - ah it makes my blood boil! No one should be talked to like that. It is blatantly disrespectful. Do the L&L authors think kids don't GET that?
#13 of 15 Old 06-26-2006, 02:14 AM
Banned

There is a great thread ongoing in this forum about love and logic.

Here

There are a few things I like about it and a whole lot I dislike. Read the thread and you will find many similar responses.
#14 of 15 Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 AM
Banned

I think it's the same old manipulation disguised as "love" garbage that a lot of parenting books spew out. Just because you love your kid does not mean that everything you do to them is a loving thing, and this book is a prime example of that. I think it just encourages parents to be very passive-agressive, instead of honest with their kids and themselves. Saying to yourself, "I will give my kid only the choices that *I* can live with," for example, is not really honestly giving your kid choice. If you aren't really going to offer true choice, at least admit it to yourself. Talk to me more about it when my kid is older, but we're all about the ideal of consent in this family. (Not that we always live up to it . . .)
#15 of 15 Old 06-26-2006, 12:30 PM

Here's two threads about it.
One I started, and I included examples right out of the book. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=311148
The other is pretty long http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=secret

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page