How much/how often do you correct disrespectful/whiny behavior? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 08-31-2006, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to add that also I have made efforts to make things more accessible to my children as well. When they were younger I put several already filled cups in the fridge for them to get out when they were thirsty and portioned out snacks in small containers for them to get themselves as well. There is a step stool for the bathroom and kitchen so they can reach the sinks and dishes. Simple things that they could do for themselves, rather than feel like they had to ask for help for everything. While this may not help a child who is overtired and whiny, I think it does help with whining in general.

blogging.jpg

#32 of 32 Old 08-31-2006, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 3 girls and they're all pretty good with manners, but it's an ongoing learning experience Under normal circumstances (if they're not tired, hungry or sick) I typically push for good manners. I don't make a war of it but I remind them by asking them not to "sing it" or to "speak like a robot" (my 5 yr old dd responds well to that one), I'll even fake a proper English accent and repeat their request. Sometimes I respond with a "Miss B, did you say you would enjoy a cold glass of chocolate milk right about now?" (to really flower that one up, stand up and hold your hands behind your back and bend forward a bit) and that usually catches her attention for a better request. And then there's the lift of my eyebrows, which they get immediately. I make it fun and light.

When I'm tired (hungry, sick or it's after 7pm) I'll make a statement right back to a request like this: "I want chocolate milk!" "That's nice, I want to take a nap and then go for a walk." Although this doesn't work well on the younger one

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page