Relatives - just a vent! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 32 Old 09-02-2006, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinak
While I agree that making a big deal out of something that isn't really going to harm her in the long run...which is why I did let it go anyways, I am reminded of the days when I was exclusively nursing her and many people thought that it would be helpful for me to go out and get a drink with my cousins and they would offer to just give dd a bottle while I was gone. I understand that red dye and sugar and processed foods aren't something that once in a blue moon are detrimental to my childs otherwise healthy eating habits, but I wouldn't have bent on the above example then, why is it that I should be doing that now...just a question as to why, other than being rude, pp think that would be okay.
Not trying to create any conflict, just trying to understand the rationale!?
Okay, here's what I think.

They probably thought you wanted a break, and so by offering to give your dd a bottle (which you could have pumped) were trying to do you a favor. I just don't see the malice behind that. I don't see the difficulty in explaining that you'd just rather not do that, either.

As far as my kids seeing relatives, I let them eat what is being eaten in that house. When my children are at my in-laws, they feed their kids special meals of hot dogs and popsicles while the adults eat something else (which isn't usually particularly healthy either, but I digress). I think it's gross, but it's their house, and I certainly don't think it's going to kill them to eat half a hot dog every month. Or even hurt them. If my dd sees hot dogs in the store and asks for them, I tell her that we don't buy those, that I don't think they're good for you. She's never had a problem with that, at all.

I'm not trying to offend you, but it does sound like your aunt is a kind, loving person who is trying to develop a relationship with your daughter, separate from her relationship with you. I think that will do your daughter so much good, far and above any harm that she may incur from eating some processed cheese and white bread.

Mommy to kids

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 32 Old 09-02-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sarah...
I see what you are saying and for the record I now feel pretty ridiculous for bringing this all up. I KNOW that my aunt is trying to foster a relationship with my daughter and being kind and helpful. But I have strong opinions and I am not about to bend on them in the future. I left that visit feeling disrespected, a little angry and quite overstepped as a parent to my daughter. My questions at this point are not about whether I am right or wrong in my opinion in what my dd can or can't have, but rather what to do to avoid feeling this way in the future without creating tension. I do not like conflict. (frankly even this thread is more than I normally can handle).

I do appreciate you comments and know that my aunt is a kind loving person. I just need to know how to stand up for my beliefs without a few things happening...
1 - creating tension
2 - making others feel like their practices are any less important than mine.
3 - ending the opportunity for my dd to create valuable relationships with our family.

I know we are all going to differ in what we allow our children to have and not have and I respect that, but it's like a vegetarian eating meat at a relatives house or a bottle given to a babe that is exclusively bfed, how do we say we don't want that respectfully?

Thanks,

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page