Toddler harnesses ('leashes') - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 191 Old 09-23-2006, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
Do you ever plan to have another child? If so, what will you do when/if your daughter wants to go one way and the baby wants to crawl another? How will your newly-walking toddler keep up with your older child? What if the baby wants out of the car seat and the older child needs to go preschool?
Is preschool really a need though?

Not to derail this thread but I personally chose not to leash my children but to stay home when I couldn't manage four toddlers in public, which I couldn't.

They make me uncomfortable, personally. I had no money for a double, triplet or quad stroller. So I stayed home a lot and enjoyed my children there.

No judgement, just my own experience and opinion.
#182 of 191 Old 09-23-2006, 12:29 AM

She was using preschool as an example, I believe. Like when your 4 yr old needs to get her hair cut and has an appt... etc. Obviously, staying home for however many years is not something many people WANT to do either. I don't think I'd just stay home because I didn't want to use a harness... I'd lose my mind...
#183 of 191 Old 09-23-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
She was using preschool as an example, I believe. Like when your 4 yr old needs to get her hair cut and has an appt... etc. Obviously, staying home for however many years is not something many people WANT to do either. I don't think I'd just stay home because I didn't want to use a harness... I'd lose my mind...
I agree. Actually a preschool would probably be the most likely place a little one could go "without" a harness. They love the littlest kiddos at my daughter's preschool.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#184 of 191 Old 09-23-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
Obviously, staying home for however many years is not something many people WANT to do either. I don't think I'd just stay home because I didn't want to use a harness... I'd lose my mind...
I couldn't have done that to dd. She needs to get outside and move around and explore. I think all kids do, to some extent. But, dd really needs to. She gets just nutty if we stay home for more than two or three days max. I'd lose my mind, but not as quickly as she would.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#185 of 191 Old 09-23-2006, 02:10 PM

Yeah, that too. My son gets stir crazy.
#186 of 191 Old 09-23-2006, 02:11 PM

i guess they're ok, but i personally woulden't use one. to much like a dog leash for me.
#187 of 191 Old 09-23-2006, 03:27 PM

Actually, when I made the preschool comments I was thinking about her statement that she stops the car if her DD wants out of the carseat (uh...on the highway, too?) I think I phrased it confusingly. Anyway, my point was that I think holding everyone to the (VERY HIGH) standard of not ever putting a child in a sling, stroller, harness, carseat or arms unless he/she actively requests it is a going a little (okay, a lot) too far. I actually only have one child, but I have many friends w/more than one, and believe me, they pop one or the other into the carrier, stroller, or whatever because they just plain old have to. It's just reality.

Your child wouldn't have to be 4, either, before you'd deal with this--I don't know about your baby, but mine could crawl like LIGHTNING at 8 months. Baby wants to crawl this way, 3yo won't hold hands...so what do you do? And obviously, many people do have their kids closer together.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#188 of 191 Old 09-23-2006, 07:34 PM

I'm seriously considering getting one. I don't have a special needs child. But, he's never liked the stroller and at 2, he only wants in the sling when he's in just the right mood. And he doesn't want to hold hands.
I think if I got the backpack, he could do his little toddler thing while I keep him safe.
#189 of 191 Old 09-24-2006, 12:44 AM

The only thing I can add to this is that the "reins" as they are called in the UK give my child more freedom than she has otherwise, she loves them. She much prefers to be wearing them than to have to hold hands all the time as when she has her reins on she can stop to pick up stones and flowers, she can run in circles round me which makes her giggle and she has freedom of movement that she doesn't have while holding hands.
If we are in a Mall, or somewhere relatively safe then she has total freedom to explore, she doesn't wear reins, go in a stroller or sling unless she is tired and requests it, but if we are walking by the road and the option is to hold hands with Mummy or wear her reins she chooses her reins all the time.
I have NEVER once used them to pull her in the direction I want to go, she still walks where she chooses, and I follow behind her. If I need to guide her I do it by holding her hand, by talking with her and telling her which way we are going and why, but having her reins (which are only about a foot long) looped round my hand keeps her from being able to run out into the road, or step in front of a car in the parking lot.
They are also invaluable for knowing that she cannot snatch her hand out of mind and run off just at the moment I'm leaning into the car to grasp my purse etc, or distracted finding the car keys in my bag.
#190 of 191 Old 09-24-2006, 12:45 AM

Just a friendly, general reminder to keep posts civil and on-topic

Any concerns or questions about a post---please contact a moderator rather than responding to the thread. Thanks

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#191 of 191 Old 09-24-2006, 12:51 AM

I saw a little boy that I wish had on a harness today. I was leaving the store and as I'm driving through the parking lot, this little boy goes darting in front of me and I slammed on the brakes. What's really sad is the mom gave me a dirty look, like I was doing something wrong.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page