anybody else turned off by 'force feeding' - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend who I adore but I have a really hard time keeping my mouth shut when I see her making her 3yo dd eat everything on her plate. We do dinner playdates and each time I find myself biting my tongue. Maybe I'm the one who has it all wrong but my little people are 'grazers'. They eat fruit and vegies all day long. We do try to do the three meals but pretty much I follow their cues in regards to when they eat. It's more like 5 or 6 little meals a day. My son does not like breakfast when he wakes up and when he is ready to eat lately he wants brocoli or 'neen beans' (green beans) for breakfast. Weird I guess but I give it to him.

I guess what bothers me is making children eat everything on their plate even if they don't like it and saying 2 or 3 more bites of whatever or they can't have desert. Worse, threatening spanking for not eating or various other offenses.

I suppose this is just my own thing but I have vivid recollection of having to eat what was on my plate and crying my way through meals. I vowed long ago when I was a child never to force my children to eat.

I feel providing healthy, kid friendly food(i.e. lots of finger foods) is the way to go. Neither one of my little people are adept with utensils and we don't force the issue. I figure by the time they go to college they will be able to use a knife/fork/spoon and have socially acceptable table manners. At almost 2 and almost 3 we just don't push it. I have been called too lenient and permissive in many areas including the food thing. We don't subscribe to an authoritarian parenting style so "making them listen" does not appeal to me.

Any other Mammas out there struggle with different parenting styles and biting your tongue?

Sorry if seems so 'scattered' I am doing a few things all at once. Sorry.
#2 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 02:42 PM

Yes- not a fan of force feeding. I've even had a friend try to do "airplane" with my almost 3 yo! I knew my dd would just spit out what she didn't like (texture issues) so I let her do it, but I wouldn't again. I was a healthy size when I was little... then my stepmom had a "clean your plate" policy and I became very emotional about food and developed a weight problem. I think it's a horrible thing to do to children, to force them to eat.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#3 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4emnxani View Post
Maybe I'm the one who has it all wrong but my little people are 'grazers'. They eat fruit and vegies all day long. We do try to do the three meals but pretty much I follow their cues in regards to when they eat. It's more like 5 or 6 little meals a day.

I guess what bothers me is making children eat everything on their plate even if they don't like it and saying 2 or 3 more bites of whatever or they can't have desert. Worse, threatening spanking for not eating or various other offenses.
My kids are the same way. They "snack" around. We do have dinner,though,at usually around the same time every night. The only thing I ask them to do is try something if we are having something they have never tasted before. I will ask them once or twice,but certainly never force them to eat things they don't like. If they don't try it,they don't try it.

I'm sorry for your friend's kids. Spanking and threatening kids over not eating their dinner is just plain wrong. :
#4 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
Yes- not a fan of force feeding. I've even had a friend try to do "airplane" with my almost 3 yo! .

my son who is 2 would even look at someone like "uh....are you dumb or something? " He actually has used the term "dumb lady" before :. It's just so funny when he says it I cna't say anything to him in the way of "that's not nice." Not to mention it's usually well warranted when he does say it....ok now i'm thread jacking

Anyhow, food is something I REFUSE to battle with. My kids are totally healthy. some days my son wants nothing but yogurt and bread with cubes of butter. Some days he eats like half a chicken for dinner with a ton of veggies.

I think it's a control issue....or just like they were raised so they figure that's how your supposed to do it.
#5 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 04:51 PM

Well, I try not to create food issues/struggles. But my 6 yo. is really testing my resolve lately, and I'm starting to get an inkling of compassion for families who do things differently!

Its hard when he decides he'd rather play than eat, and then he melts down because he is weak and hungry. Its hard when he decides to eat 6 pieces of cornbread and no protein, and is then hungry in the middle of the night.

But basically, yeah -- the whole "clean your plate" thing gets to me.
#6 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 05:13 PM

As toddlers, my kids didn't have to eat if they didn't want to. The did have to at least taste something new. (You won't know if you like it if you don't try it) but even then if they refused, I didn't push. However, with older kids it gets a bit difficult. I had custody of my nephew (who was seven at the time) and he refused to eat anything. Everything was "gross", and all he wanted to eat was junk. Well, I was not going to let that happen. So, I made a deal with him. He would help me pick out the meals (from a selection, of course) and when it was time to eat, he got to pick how much he wanted on his plate. If he didn't want to eat it all, he didn't have to. I explained to him to start out with small portions and if he wanted more then more was available. This seem to work. He just wanted a little control over what he was putting into his body. Very understandable.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#7 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 05:37 PM

ok we are going through similar struggles but i have to ask, if you child does not eat anything nutritious (crackers) all day, where do you draw the line on gently disciplining them to learn to eat nutritious food before the desert? My almost 3 yo old just gets distracted so it does help to keep her focused so she is not starving and cranky later...
#8 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 05:46 PM

I offer a wide variety at each meal because I respect that my kids have different tastes. This means I have a vegetable, starch, and meat at each meal and everyone can choose what they want. I offer three meals and 2-3 snacks during the day, so no one is going hungry. I do not require they eat anything, but I do require they sit down at the table with the family during meal times. I hate, hate, hate force-feeding and I would have a hard time not saying anything. Food should not be about a power struggle. I respect when my kids aren't hungry, as I'm often not hungry either at "mealtimes" but I do not go and run to cupboard for crackers when they wont eat what I've made. I figure they'll eat next time.
#9 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemama View Post
ok we are going through similar struggles but i have to ask, if you child does not eat anything nutritious (crackers) all day, where do you draw the line on gently disciplining them to learn to eat nutritious food before the desert?
Not having any desserts available for a period of time, until her eating habits stabilize again?
#10 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 06:41 PM

I refuse to make food a battleground issue. I have so many food issues from growing up, and such a screwed-up view of eating, and even if I haven't fixed it for myself yet, I'm not inflicting that on my kids.

DD is definitely a grazer, and will ask for a snack or something in particular often throughout the day - and I offer something if she hasn't asked in a bit. I do keep track mentally of what she's had, and if I think she needs some protein or something, I'll offer that first, or suggest it instead of what she asked for, but if she's adamant about what she asked for (unless it's a "sometimes food", which we try to limit to once a day) she gets it. Now, if she asks for something specific, gets it, has one bite and then has a hissy for something else, we will have a chat about not wasting things and whether she'll eat more of what she asked for, or have it later in the day. But I don't force food, ever.

Protein is an issue with her because she is very seriously anti-meat. She will OCCASIONALLY eat fried chicken tenders when we're out (yes, I know, but dude!). She prefers fruits, veggies, dairy products, and carbs - many healthy things, but given that she's also a pretty picky eater, it can make a balanced diet harder to achieve. She won't eat nut butters or tofu or TVP - anything masquerading as meat is immediately rejected. So when I do get a protein source in front of her, I will admit to asking her to take another bite or two. But if she doesn't, she doesn't - I just ask because sometimes she'll get distracted before she's really eaten her fill, and a reminder brings her back to what she was doing.

Various people have tried to get her to eat everything on her plate. I say, oh, she knows when she's had enough, and then remove her plate ASAP so there's no more reason to keep after her.

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
#11 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 06:57 PM

I am not a fan of the forced to eat everything -- there is a lt i don't like either

butttttttttttttttttttttttt

on the far other side

is not there some good tot he routine fo "we eat three meals a day together, at these times, you will come to the table as a memeber of this family and be polite even if you chose not to eat"

rather than a whole house of parents and kids eating what they want, when they wasnt (no matter how good what they eat is)?

isn't there a social aspect to the meal as well as a purely nutrional aspect?

Thoughts?

aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#12 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 07:06 PM

The examples given in this thread are "food rules". They are far from "force feeding."

I'm not a fan of food rules either. But let's call it what it is. "Force feeding" is unnecessarily hyperbolic and triviliazes actual forms of abuse using food.
#13 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
is not there some good tot he routine fo "we eat three meals a day together, at these times, you will come to the table as a memeber of this family and be polite even if you chose not to eat"

rather than a whole house of parents and kids eating what they want, when they wasnt (no matter how good what they eat is)?

As a mom of "big kids" I have to say, there was no need to train them for this. Toddlers like to roam. Big kids value the routine and the ritual of family meals. They come because they choose to. They like it. They appreicate the time together. I really think its a non-issue. Sort of like, they aren't going to be in my bed every night when they are 25 years old, just because we cosleep now....
#14 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
I am not a fan of the forced to eat everything -- there is a lt i don't like either

on the far other side

Thoughts?

aimee
I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer to that question....in my house I just take as much stress off of eating as I can. My husband usually gets home after the kids would have eaten (I don't want them waiting for him to get home), and with an infant and my 2 and a few month year old no one seems to be hungry at the same time.

I think that 'family time' is more important than 'family DINNER time.' But that's just me. I provide healthy choices for my son when I know he is hungry and leave everything else up to him. Here and there we all catch eachother together hungry at the same time, but I tell ya we spend more time eating like behind the fishy shower curtain "feeding fisses mama!" or sitting outside on the porhc then anywhere else lately . We have such a short amount of time together (at least during the week) that I like to put the emphasis on things besides needing to actually eat together.

I also know that each of us have different eating habbits. DH can scarf down an entire fridge and not want to eat the rest of the day, and my son and I tend to graze a bit more.

We have family reading time and lots of other traditions in our home, but I just don't really make food one of them. I figure food is just to keep us strong and healthy.
#15 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

We have no "food rules" in our house either. My 16 month old just had about 2 sips of my frap at the bookstore, coffee, sugar, whipped cream and all--- much to the chagrin of some people here I'm sure -- but ya know what, 2 sips was all she wanted and was totally fine with it. It has no appeal, no forbidden aspect, no label of "bad" or "fattening" or "not for children" or "not until you eat _____".

We have never had a problem with her eating, or not eating, or eating too much, or eating too little or gorging on "bad" things. Nothing is "bad" except for one caveat -- we are strict vegetarians and while I don't call meat "bad" --- we haven't made it available to her as an option -- we will cross that bridge when we come to it --

However, everything else is fine. We introduced organic, whole, nutritious foods to her at a very young age (around 7 months, sweet potato, avacado, you know the deal) and have continued that same pattern --- that is how we eat around 90% of the time but for the occasional *sometimes* food -- and she hasn't complained Our house (almost)never contains anything with HFCS, PH oils, refined sugars etc... but we do eat well and I love to cook and bake.

That having been said though, even though we very rarely have things like soda, sweets, sugars in the home, when she has been exposed to such things (around other family members etc) she may ask for a "taste" (she actually says the word *taste*) and behind a well hidden grimace I allow her to try it She has never gone "hog wild" and drank or eaten anything "bad" in excess -- I find she usually has a tiny taste and then asks for something she is used to eating and already enjoys a lot.

I don't think my child is exceptional by any means. I think most children are this way if allowed to be -- I know there will be posters who come along (threads like this have been covered ad nauseum ) who will claim their children, if given the opportunity to eat what they wanted when they wanted, would gorge on everything sugar/sweet/fat/disgusting and never stop. I only feel that may be the case in situations where food has been controlled until that point, where the child feels they are doing something "forbidden", a privledge which may be removed again, thus choosing to gorge while they have the chance -- or in a situation where there is an underlying medical or psychological reason for overeating or for starving oneself.

I have immense trust in the ability of young children to self regulate their food -- if given information, a wide variety of healthy and appealing foods (yes you can have both ), healthy modeling of their parents' eating (not *eat as I say not as I eat* parenting as I call it ) and if they are free to eat when they want and how much they like.

I can only speak from personal experience, and while it would be wonderful (and convenient) of me and others to think my daughter is just a rare, wonderful, gifted food prodigy (she's not) --- I think she is more the norm than the rarity ----- however, children like her may stand out more because our parenting with regards to food and rules are not the norm, but the rarity.

ETA:
No, I don't cook 23049732049 dinners. She eats either what I cook, or we have a variety of healthy finger foods available for her which I can easily get or prepare (whole grain crackers, organic cheese, sliced veggies/fruit etc)

No, she doesn't wake up at 4 am demanding food. She has only ever been hungry once or twice in the middle of the night, and again, is always agreeable with things I offer which are easy to prepare.
#16 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:

on the far other side

This is important to me too. We don't eat *three* meals a day together, but we have family dinner together every night, and one of us has breakfast with our daughter every morning. She winds up having her lunch on a different schedule than we do, but one of us always sits at the table with her while she eats.

Family dinner is an important social time in our house. We used to feed Alex dinner before we ate, because my husband worked late. Since she started eating with us, the variety of foods she eats has probably tripled. She wants to try what we're eating. She is also starting to learn table manners from watching us - now she wants very much to eat with a fork, instead of her fingers, because that's what we do. (Mostly.)

I think force feeding is repellent. I love food and eating - why would I want to make it into a source of stress for my family? I put a variety of reasonably healthy foods in front of her, and she can eat or leave things as she chooses. Today for lunch she had milk, a whole lot of carrots, and some canned peaches (in juice, not syrup), and then she gnawed some of the cheese off her cheese toast. Not what I intended her to eat, but it was what she wanted. (She had Lunch II after her nap: a slice of deli roast beef, a few pretzels, and a large quantity of pomegranate seeds.)

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#17 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemama View Post
ok we are going through similar struggles but i have to ask, if you child does not eat anything nutritious (crackers) all day, where do you draw the line on gently disciplining them to learn to eat nutritious food before the desert? My almost 3 yo old just gets distracted so it does help to keep her focused so she is not starving and cranky later...
I have one super-picky 4 yo and 1 will-eat-almost-anything 2yo

The most important thing is just not having it in your house (or if you must have something bad make sure they don't know and never see you eating it, kwim?). If they only have healthy options they will only eat healthy food. Beyond that...I try to let my ds eat whatever, whenever. Once he got used to me not buying junk anymore he started eating much better. He may only eat a few things, but I know most of the time they're packed with nutrition.

As far as dessert...we don't do dessert, but when I do make something dessert-y I make it as healthy as possible. Like whole wheat pumpkin cookies made with coconut oil and a healthy natural sweetener. Smoothies are a greatsuper healthy dessert too.

oh, and on the OP topic. I hate that too. I feel so sad for all the kids I know who don't get to decide what they like or don't like. Dh and I can eat whatever we want. If we don't like dinner we mkae a sandwich or eat leftovers. If we're not hungry we eat later. I don't see any reason my boys should have to follow different rules.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#18 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:

I suppose this is just my own thing but I have vivid recollection of having to eat what was on my plate and crying my way through meals. I vowed long ago when I was a child never to force my children to eat.
That was me.

I was so stubborn I would spend HOURS at the dinner table just sitting there since I had to finish everything on my plate before I could leave.
Not sure what that accomplished...

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#19 of 81 Old 10-21-2006, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswifey27 View Post
That was me.

I was so stubborn I would spend HOURS at the dinner table just sitting there since I had to finish everything on my plate before I could leave.
Not sure what that accomplished...
Yeah I'm not sure what it accomplished either. I became the 'master' food hider or flusher.

My friend told me once that if her dd didn't eat her dinner she would get it the next day. I couldn't resist, I said "O.k. 'Mommy Dearest' " She kind of smiled at me and I do believe has stopped doing that. I hope so anyway.

I enjoy food and most days I eat to live not live to eat. I do have my days that I will eat whatever isn't nailed down

A family member called my children weird kids because they prefer vegies and were not sure what Hawaiian Punch was. I might add that after drinking some of that red, liquid sugar my dd puked. It was completely foreign to her body. I do give my little people treats and they even get candy occasionally but they don't get junk like that routinely. My little guy prefers fruit and vegies now. About the only meat he will eat is turkey. I am following his lead. If he naturally doesn't want to eat meat that's fine I will not force it on him. I just find other ways to get protein in him.

In my former life I was a nurse and just before quitting to become a SAHM I worked psych. Eating disorders were so prevalent. I'm not saying that a mother telling her child to clean her plate means that child will definitely have an eating disorder (there are many causes for that). However, it certainly could lead that child to have an unhealthy relationship with food.
My own dh has some serious food issues. He struggles constantly with his weight. When we used to visit his mother she still would tell him to "finish your food" but in the next breath, " you look like you've put on a few" (lbs). How freaking crazy is that? He grew up with that craziness.

I like how you Mammas put it... "food struggles" "no food rules" With my two they will try just about everything (of course it occasionally comes right back out) and we just don't stress about it. So far so good for us.
#20 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:

on the far other side

Thoughts?
My opinion? For our family,no. I mean,I'm a SAHM,and dh spends time with the kids when he gets home,we do eat dinner together generally,although not at the diningroom table cause my 2 yr old cant resist climbing it,but that's another story. Honestly,I think the whole "family table" concept is great,for families who are gone from the home all day,like both parents working outside of the home fulltime,all the kids in school/daycare,etc. I guess in that sort of situation it would give everyone a "reconnecting" period. Hope that makes sense.
#21 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 12:18 AM

I cannot stomach (lol) food being forced on a child. It's so unkind that I cannot get my head around it, honestly. That kind of thing is just so damaging IMO.

We sometimes eat meals together and sometimes do not. We do not all eat the same thing at our house for meals either (some of us are vegetarian, some not. Someone might not be very hungry, someone else could be extremely hungry, etc)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#22 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:

on the far other side

Thoughts?

aimee
My approach to what and when my kids eat has always been the same...I provide healthy food, and let them pretty much eat what they want, when they want to.

When I was still with my ex, we never sat down together for a meal, except on holidays...we ate all over the house, and we were always scattered everywhere. I didn't like it, but it was too much work to try to deal with, on top of everything else.

When it was just me and ds1, we often ate together at the table, but not always. Sometimes, I'd eat at the PC, while talking to dh online...ds1 would sit at the coffee table and talk to me.

When dh moved in, he wanted family meals. We told ds1 that we were going to eat together as a family every night. He was surprised, as he'd never had that before, but he didn't have any problem with it and that's been the way we've done it ever since. DS1 was eight when dh moved in.

I guess I just feel that kids will adapt. Our family sits down together for dinner, and dd gets up more-or-less whenever she wants and wanders around. However, she's not allowed to take food from the table, and has to come back when she wants to take another bite. We find it easiest for everyone that way.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#23 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I think that 'family time' is more important than 'family DINNER time.' But that's just me.
No, it's not just you In our family we have different schedules and not very often can sit together. When we *do* have time together, we'd rather eat something really fast and do fun stuff together.

And I agree wih Captain Crunchy's post completely - my kids actually have no idea that food can be a struggle.

One day they may want to eat a lot, the other they may not. One day they may start their food with what's considered a "dessert" and finish with a bowl of soup. They don't know it's not the "proper way"...

Another point - I am a grazer myself and I tell you, I feel kinda crappy if I do eat a whole "square meal" in one setting. I feel bloated, heavy and sleepy.

Eating is a required bodily function, so let's treat it as such... I mean nobody would try to force a kid to squeeze out "just one more poop" or to go to sleep for "just 10 more minutes". Body "knows" when to eat, what to eat and how much to eat UNLESS something (or somebody) screws it up, be it the health issues or power struggles.

We completely trust NEWBORN babies to know when to eat and how much to eat, why or why all of a sudden we deny kids that self-regulating ability after a child reaches certain age? (oh, and then, by the time they are adults we want this ability to magically appear back - how many people struggle with extra weight?)

Have healthy foods in the house, don't have junk, model healthy eating habits (and no, I am not "covering" people with health issues here, that would be a different story)
#24 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 01:51 AM

My mom used to try to make me eat my food off my plate when I was little, luckily I'm stubborn as all get out, so I usually won. She never tried to force me to eat it, mainly just "You can't leave the table until you finish what's on your plate" and I would usually sit at the table until bedtime. She'd always say, "There are kids in China starving that would LOVE to have this food," and I remember how she tried not to laugh when I told her to box up my food and mail it to them (before that I had a really odd view of what they did with trash, I said if she threw my food in the trash, they would dump it in the ocean *ok, maybe I had a correct view of what they were doing in the 80's* and it would float on the waves to China where the kids on the beach would fish it out and eat it.)

Forcing them to eat is a surefire way to give kids an eating disorder (and they blame Barbie, I guess someone has to take the blame, why not a doll?)
#25 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 02:34 AM

I guess I will be the voice of dissent. I don't "force" either of my children to eat anything, and I also believe in my children's ability to self-regulate when presented with healthy, diverse food options, but ....

DS1 (3 yo) will ask for something, take one bite, and then decide he wants something else. We've started to say that he can not have something else until he finishes his whatever. Like at lunch yesterday, he asked for a turkey sandwich (we were having cold cuts, turkey was his choice). He helped me build a beautiful sandwich w. whole grain bread, chummus, spouts, tomato and roasted turkey breast. He took 1/2 a bite and decided he didn't want it anymore. We didn't force him to eat it, but we told him that he couldn't have a yogurt or mozarella stick (his "alternatives") until he ate at least half the sandwich, b/c it was wasteful. He chose to eat the other sides from lunch -- fine with us -- and put his sandwich in the fridge. Later, when we were going to the park, he asked to bring a cheese stick with us, and we said, no, he could bring his sandwich. And he did and he ate it happily.

We also have dinner together every night. If my husband or I are not home yet, then the family is minus one (and sometimes two, if baby goes to bed early). But our child(ren) eat together with their parent(s) for all the reasons a PP stated -- socialization, modeling, etc. This doesn't take the place of other family togetherness, but it is something that we make a priority.

Oh, and we generally don't have dessert, but if we do have treats (aka sweets) in the house, I don't have any problem telling DS1 that they are for after other foods have been eaten. I.e. he isn't allowed to eat just ice cream, or just cake, for dinner.

So, yeah, I guess I have food rules. But I don't see this the same as forcing a child to sit at the table until they have cleared their plates.
#26 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 12:27 PM

I personally feel family dinning time is important. It is a wonderful time for talking and teaching. I am a SAHM, my children are homeschooled, and my husband is usually deployed. However, I still love the time my children and I get to spend together at the dinner table. Even though I stay home with my kids, I do view this as "reconnecting" time. We are often so busy that we don't get to just sit and chat like at meal times. My oldest son is autistic and eating together is vital in teaching him how to behave at a dinner table. It really isn't a struggle because we have always done this.

Carol
#27 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post

DS1 (3 yo) will ask for something, take one bite, and then decide he wants something else. We've started to say that he can not have something else until he finishes his whatever. Like at lunch yesterday, he asked for a turkey sandwich (we were having cold cuts, turkey was his choice). He helped me build a beautiful sandwich w. whole grain bread, chummus, spouts, tomato and roasted turkey breast. He took 1/2 a bite and decided he didn't want it anymore. .
This sounds like my 3 year old, he does the same thing. And we don't allow him to waste the food either. He doesn't HAVE To eat, but he also can't change his mind 5 times after the food is made either. Especially when he is the one choosing it to begin with.

Carol
#28 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 02:12 PM

The family dining thing is interesting to me. We do enjoy eating together often enough, but we've never felt it was a must do every day/night. We probably do it (as in eat at the table, all together, for a meal.) 2x a week. We are together pretty regularly though, with the exception of a Dh that works a lot, so I wonder if that is the difference.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#29 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 04:28 PM

I vividly remember my sil and bil actually holding down their 3 yo and forcing food into his mouth once. That to me is the ultimate force feeding, I just stood there in awe of it all, they just got so caught up in the power struggle that they didn't even realize where they were going.

The more subtle forms of you must finish everything I dish out for me makes me want to vomit. My mil is so big on this, like somehow if he eats this arbirtrary amount that she selected it is perfect. The other day we were down there and he had already ate a meal at our house, ate an entire bowlful of grapes at her house and half a bowl of stew, and she was still on him, one more bite. UGH. We provide healthy options (most of the time ), we do 3 sit down meals, but if he is hungry then we find something for him to eat. If it is right after a meal that he hardly ate I will offer that first, as sometimes he just isn't hungry right when we are, sometimes neither am I. He eats as many bites as he wants, and that is that.

I know people like my mom and mil and many others think that if you don't force a child to eat they won't. My mom has said that to me about my neice, I don't buy, barring any specific issues, I think forcing food into a child's mouth, or even the cajoling and begging just cause extra stress for everyone.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#30 of 81 Old 10-22-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
When we used to visit his mother she still would tell him to "finish your food" but in the next breath, " you look like you've put on a few" (lbs). How freaking crazy is that? He grew up with that craziness. .
Oh god, my mom does that too... When I said I started showing really fast this pregnancy she said I was already pretty chubby before, which I'm not, although that's beside the point. In the next breath she chastised me for barely eating anything off my plate :

I can't believe other people have a crazy mother just like mine.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page