More sensitivity - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-04-2003, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Following from the sensitivity thread - how would you all handle a situation where a child has taken something from your child? Frequently, other children (sometimes younger and sometimes older) will take something from my 2.5-year-old ds (he's not exactly passive, but seems to think that when other children take something that they're doing it so that they can play with it together - makes for many a rude awakening). He gets very upset when he realizes that they're not coming back and I don't quite know how to handle it. I don't want to teach him to go over and yank it back - and we're often dealing with children who don't communicate as well as he does or are not as willing to just give things up, so asking for it back doesn't accomplish anything. I also don't want him to think that it's all right to just allow someone to yank something from you....

What would you do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-04-2003, 01:37 AM

I would follow him closely in these situations, and loudly say, "Oops! He wasn't finished with that yet! Please give it back and we'll give you a turn soon."

He's too little to stand-up for himself. But if he hears your diplomatic words, he'll learn that is the way to handle it. Gradually, as he becomes more verbal, you can let him take over on his own behalf.

Just what I would do though -- not necessarily correct.

#3 of 4 Old 05-05-2003, 12:43 AM

My son is a little over 2.5 years old, and I have taught him to approach a child and ask for the toy he was still using. He will almost alway try it, as long as I am close by. I will gladly step in to help him out if his request does not yield the desired effect, but I feel strongly that he should know that though he is still little, he and his words are powerful. Another motivating factor behind my doing this is that my son is in a child care situation, and I am obviously not there with him, so I wanted to teach him the skills he would need to advocate for himself. I started modeling this for him when he was only about 1 year old, and by the time he turned 2, I encouraged him gently to tell kids on the playground if he wanted his toys back. Perhaps becuase he gets the opportunity for lots of practice with children he does know well, he is more comfortable approaching a child he doesn't know.
#4 of 4 Old 05-07-2003, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your ideas - I'm definitely going to put them to good use! Teachma, what you said about wanting your ds to understand that his words have power even though he is little really struck a chord with me. He is very hot and cold socially (sometimes very outgoing and gregarious, sometimes very reserved -- unfortunately, I think he's inherited his mother's lack of consistency : ), so he is sometimes receptive to this sort of initiative and sometimes not. I think, though, if I can model this for him (rather than letting it go, as I usually do, and helping him to move onto something else - which always feels so wrong to me) then he may start feeling a little more consistently solid in these sorts of situations.....

Food for thought... thanks again

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page