Good book and the monster mother - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-07-2003, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Kids, Parents & Power Struggles" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka -- For those who have not read this (or or those who have before and are having a difficult time lately), I just wanted to put in a serious plug. Ds and I have really been at odds lately, what with me being about 2000 times more stressed than I've ever been in my entire life (and not having any time for releasing and no option to let anything "slip"). I'm ashamed to admit that I've turned into a colossal monster over the past few weeks and am almost (with the exception of spanking, humiliating or insulting him) at the polar opposite end of the parenting spectrum from where I would like to be. Today I actually had to go leave him at a work with dh because I thought I was having a breakdown : .

So, I came home, shirked all responsibility (i.e. studying for exams), picked up this book, and within minutes was much calmer and feeling as though I was getting back in touch with the tools I need to avoid being a screaming meanie. I think it's the format - it's broken down into short sections that are easily readable in a pinch but chock full of things one needs to think about to get back on track (without being overwhelming, that is).

Anyway, just putting it out there. Back to studying....

#2 of 9 Old 05-07-2003, 03:01 AM

this monster mother needs help, so just reserved it at the library.

thanks!

kay

#3 of 9 Old 05-07-2003, 07:07 AM

I've been meaning to read this book forever. Your post was a great reminder and motivator. I'm going to see if my LLL library has it- there is a meeting today. Thanks, and also-
I'm sorry you are feeling so stressed!
#4 of 9 Old 05-07-2003, 05:27 PM

I'm checking the library for it! I've wanted to read this for awhile! Thanks for the motivation!!!

mamapoppins
#5 of 9 Old 05-08-2003, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the hugs, mamacrab

I'm almost through the super-stress period, so it will be getting better (I hope, I hope, I hope)....

Glad I could jog the 'ol memories about this book - hope you all get as much out of it as I have

#6 of 9 Old 05-08-2003, 06:58 PM

I have been having the HARDEST &*#$* time finding this book! I made a request for an inter-library loan and I'm still waiting...

I suppose I could get it from Amazon, but I'd rather borrow it first!
#7 of 9 Old 05-08-2003, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Check out half.com if you don't mind plopping down a few bucks (I definitely understand wanting to check it out first, though!). There are a bunch for pretty cheap (4-5 bucks for the book, 7-8 including shipping)!

#8 of 9 Old 05-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Banned

Dragonfly, You're a student and mom??

I'm thinking about going back to school but it sounds like a lot of stress.

(oh, yes, I can be a real monster as well!!)

I think moms get dumped with a lot more stress than non-mom people realize.

Book sounds like a good one (hope I get a chance to read it )

db
#9 of 9 Old 05-09-2003, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Db,

I'm just finishing up my first year of law school. It seemed like a good idea when I applied.... really it did It has its ups and downs, but I'm still pretty certain it's been worth it - though sometimes I think I might have waited a little longer until ds was through his toddler years. Did I mention I'm not very patient?

I totally agree about moms having more on them than non-moms (of the male and female variety) realize. One thing that has been great about going back to school is that it's forced dh to become a part-time "mother" in a sense... he's always been pretty good about realizing what my real job is (i.e. not houseservant), but his appreciation of a mother's work definitely seems to have skyrocketed in this past year.

Anyway, it is a lot of stress - the most stressful part for me has been feeling as though I can't give 100% to any one thing. Of course, a lot of it is stress I put on myself because I've never been very disciplined or had good study habits. Regardless, I still believe that it's all worth it (though I may have said otherwise had you asked me this time last week ).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page