grabbing glasses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2003, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nine month old DD is a bit obsessed with grabbing DH's glasses... Almost every time he picks her up, she goes right for them, and she's not easily diverted. Not wearing them isn't an option, of course, and it's really starting to irritate DH (little fingerprints are cute and all, but they make it hard to see). Does anybody have any suggestions to get her to stop doing this?

Thanks,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2003, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dh HATES this. He has always been very firm with the kids. Usually he will take his glasses off when they are rough-housing. But he does not let the kids touch his glasses for any reason. When they were babies he would say "no touch!" and then put the baby down so they would get the message.

It always seemed so harsh at the time. But the kids all learned pretty quickly that touching daddy's glasses would bring an end to playtime.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:56 PM

My dd is a bit older at 20 months, but she and dh went through this same thing. I think it was the shine of the frames or the reflection that attracted her, but anyway, we bought her a pair of kid's sunglasses (not glass, obviously, and with soft, plyable earpieces to reduce the risk of her getting hurt. She LOVES them. She'll put them on, or try to put them on us. She'll still go for dh's glasses now and then, but it's cut down on the fingerprints.

Jennifer
Old 05-13-2003, 01:31 AM

My only suggestion: Tell dh that for his birthday around the time that your dd turns 2, you will buy him a brand new pair. This is what I had to do for myself because the old ones were so mangled by the time ds neared 2 that I had no alternative! I can relate to your poor dh on this one!
Old 05-13-2003, 04:47 AM

Get a pair of Groucho Marx glasses. Remove the nose. Everytime DH goes to pick her up, he can let her mangle them. No harm done.

After a while, she'll be done with glasses.

a

The anti-Ezzo king
Old 05-13-2003, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everybody! DH has been putting her down when he hasn't been able to divert her attention... I think we'll get DD her own pair and/or some Groucho Marx-type glasses to give her when she's really interested in grabbing those glasses. I'm sure DH will need a new pair by the time she's done with glasses, anyway, but maybe these ideas will help some in the meantime

Thanks again,
Lisa
Old 05-14-2003, 04:43 PM

Goo also does this! She has her own pair, but I had never thought of taking mine back and giving hers to play with....hmmmm

User Tag List