O.M.G...help...they dumped every food out in the living room.... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 164 Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackysmama View Post
Or, buy two of them now and tuck them away for 20 years and give them to the kids when THEY have kids!
Now, that's a great idea. It almost makes me wish my kids would create a spectacular mess...almost...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#122 of 164 Old 01-19-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Sadly, the older one knows how to do cupboard locks LOL!!! .
Get the magnet locks; my SIL has them and I can't get the doors open without the key.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#123 of 164 Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I'd buy a couple of the mugs offered by the gallery to remember this by .

OK, I see that I'm not the first to mention this.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#124 of 164 Old 01-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMama View Post
That's hilarious!!!
I even laughed at that one. The room STILL has a cheesy odor too!
#125 of 164 Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 PM

And for anyone who thinks older kids wouldnt do this...

I was babysitting 3 kids full time during the summer when i was 11. My dad or stepmom was there MOST of the time but not always and they didnt help me AT ALL.

I was very smart, pretty level headed and responsible.

But one day my parents left and it was hot and the kids were acting up. So i made a whole bunch of red jello and took it outside and we all had a jello fight. Then i let the dogs eat up the mess. When my parents questioned me about it i said "I had them do it outside so as not to mess up the house.
BRILLIANT idea at the time.
#126 of 164 Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cherie2
One day when mine were 2 and 6 I left them with a friend of the family teen for about 4 hours, when I returned they had managed to break open a beanbag chair with those tiny Styrofoam balls. There were weightless little balls in every corner of my house forever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
You don't have pictures, do you?

no unfortunately no pictures ... but when I got home you could not see the floor of most of the house for the white balls ... those kids must have had a blast jumping around in that!

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#127 of 164 Old 01-19-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
And for anyone who thinks older kids wouldnt do this...

I was babysitting 3 kids full time during the summer when i was 11. My dad or stepmom was there MOST of the time but not always and they didnt help me AT ALL.

I was very smart, pretty level headed and responsible.

But one day my parents left and it was hot and the kids were acting up. So i made a whole bunch of red jello and took it outside and we all had a jello fight. Then i let the dogs eat up the mess. When my parents questioned me about it i said "I had them do it outside so as not to mess up the house.
That is brilliant! You could babysit at our house anytime.
#128 of 164 Old 01-19-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
We did this. And I had the brilliant idea of doing it in the house. And it was just 3 months ago Actually, the original idea was to do it outside, but the weather was crappy. Owen had a "messy party" for his 3rd birthday (In those pictures are whipped cream pies and jello)

To the OP- I'm so sorry that happened. Try to laugh it off, clean it up, and learn from it. I promise- years from now you will be able to laugh about it with your grandchildren

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#129 of 164 Old 01-20-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
That is brilliant! You could babysit at our house anytime.

It was soooo FUN
#130 of 164 Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
We did this. And I had the brilliant idea of doing it in the house. And it was just 3 months ago Actually, the original idea was to do it outside, but the weather was crappy. Owen had a "messy party" for his 3rd birthday (In those pictures are whipped cream pies and jello)

To the OP- I'm so sorry that happened. Try to laugh it off, clean it up, and learn from it. I promise- years from now you will be able to laugh about it with your grandchildren

My friend had an outdoor party where there was a huge plastic tarp covered in flour. The kids had sooooo much fun! And of course there was a kiddie pool to wash off in.
#131 of 164 Old 01-20-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
When I was viewing the picture on Kodak's site they had a thing at the bottom showing what it would look like on a mug and that just made me laugh really hard. I think you should order that mug!
I was thinking the EXACT same thing...order that mug!

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#132 of 164 Old 01-21-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

oh, i so want to have a messy party for my kids' birthdays! but they're both december babies and i seriously don't think i could do it inside without hyperventilating!
#133 of 164 Old 01-21-2007, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I think that messy party idea is sooo awesome...I wonder if DS will like that for his 5th bday? It's in May so doable...depending on the weather...sometimes it's warm, sometimes it's not!!

Also thought I'd update and say things are finally clean...except for a couple "doughy" spots on the carpet LOL....

The kids are no longer allowed to leave the bedroom before one of us gets up with them in the morning. This is the best solution for us. Thanks for all the advice (And laughs) along the way!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#134 of 164 Old 01-21-2007, 09:58 PM

Knowing something and having impulse control are two different things.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#135 of 164 Old 01-21-2007, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just be thankful it was flour and not vital wheat glutin it is now 2 years later and i still am chasing that S#&T it was so fine that the vacume filter could not even contain it my dd had walked in her room with the 2kg plastic container of it and started to throw it by hand fulls everywhere when i seen ur pic i wish now i had some of it then i would for sure be getting the mug would have a laugh everyday i looked at it
#136 of 164 Old 01-22-2007, 12:19 AM

I think messy parties are wonderful...kids like making messes...but man do I feel for you OP, unplanned messy parties that you have to start your day with...not so wonderful! You took it like a champ and your kids will likely never do it again, seeing your disappointment, missing their playgroup and such.

My dd and I cosleep, she wakes up on her own often and I don't always hear her. I used to put child doorknob covers on my door so she would be in the room with me but she figured them out. Instead we have had MANY talks about what she can and can't do if she wakes up before me. (The number one thing I ask her to do is wake me up but I only have her and really am not sleep deprived, just a deep sleeper) I know that things like this can happen and i personally would have been quite upset that my house was trashed, she would have known this, but couldn't place fault on her really. Kids are impulsive and need supervision, it's just hard to be there all the time.

But once while I was working, my exh stepped outside to grab a few things from his work truck while dd was napping. This was the first time she'd figured out the doorknob cover. She went downstairs, pulled a chair to the counter, climbed up on it and got the scissors from a high spot on the shelf. When ex peered in the window he caught her sitting with the cat in her lap and trying to cut the cat's hair with the super sharp scissors. As soon he saw her she ran and locked the door on him. He ran to the back door and she saw him and locked this door too. Fortunately she had forgotten about the scissors at this point but he was out there in the middle of winter in a tshirt and jeans (In interior alaska). He tried for about a half an hour to get her to open the doors and when he finally realized this wouldn't work he had to cut a hole in the wall and climb through...again...this was the middle of winter.

So sorry this was long...point is, sh-t happens and we can't always be there and stop the chaos. :

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#137 of 164 Old 01-22-2007, 04:48 PM
mcs

oh my-oh, what a mess! seems funny and not...
my little brother used to sneak out of bed at night and make gigantic messes. my mom sais that he had some sort of intuition for what would be the hardest to clean. i remember the worst was talcum powder, water and toilet paper all over the bathroom carpet! i wish we had more pictures of his night-life, but that was before digitals. he also busted his bean bag chair once- that was a mess! i can't imagine breaking more than one! like an indoor snowstorm.
the jello sounds great to me..

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#138 of 164 Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 PM

Coming in late...Great picture! My reaction would depend on a few things: How much sleep I'd gotten the night before, and where I was in my womanly cycle : If I was well rested and pre-ovulation, I would crack up hysterically and probably start rolling around in the mess with my kids. If I was poorly rested but pre-ovulation, I'd say OMFG, clean it up, and try to forget about it. If I was poorly rested and post-ovulation, heading towards my period, someone'd better call the cops because there wouldn't be anyone in the house left unscathed. OR I would just explode, go outside and curl up in a ball in the yard, shaking like a leaf and smoking a cigarette ( that has happened before in unimaginable circumstances...) But yeeeah...I am a slave to my cycles and I'm either very patient or very violent depending...I'm seeing a doctor about it soon because its becoming impossible to live like this. Hope you got everything cleaned up alright!
#139 of 164 Old 01-22-2007, 06:22 PM

OMG. WOW. I'm not even gonna say what all I would do. But that would NEVER happen again. I don't care if my kids were unsupervised for a week. God bless you woman.

i also would like to add that i bet no one would be laughing if it was their house and their groceries.
#140 of 164 Old 01-22-2007, 11:53 PM

I think the part I like the best is the little flour covered naked baby legs on the couch- so cute!!! (although probably not at the time!)
#141 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Co sleep....
Ha! We do! And one of the biggest messes DD made was when she snuck out of our bed in the wee hours of the morning, snuck into my washroom (which I left open in my sleep-deprived, dealing with a new baby haze in the middle of the night), and made up her face with the makeup I had recently purchased for an up-coming wedding. Do you have any idea how hard it is to wash mascara off the walls?

Oh, there was also the time that I gated DD into the playroom with me, and fell asleep on the floor (I was 9 months pregnant and exhuasted all the time). I woke up covered in marker.

I'm another one that needs my sleep. So after a night of getting up 8 or 9 times between the needs of the two kiddos, and then having my daughter spring out of bed at 3am expecting breakfast, I've been known to snooze on the sofa while she plays beside me.

But the worst messes have happened when I was wide awake and doing other "mom" things like cooking or washing diapers. My daughter went through a phase where she needed to rub creams and ointments all over herself, and everything around her. Diaper cream, moisturizer....whatever. Within 3 minutes, she could cover a room with it. I can't even count the amount of times it happened. Kids can make messes at lightning speed.

I think the only reason we haven't had a disaster like the OP's, is that the shelves in the pantry are too high for them to reach, even with their stools.

Those photos are priceless!
#142 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 12:46 AM

You're not the only mother to experience this... my father has four brothers and one day they were making hamburgers in the kitchen. My grandmother left the room for a couple of minutes, during which one brother said to another brother, "Hey, toss me a hamburger!" A hamburger fight of epic proportions ensued and when my grandmother came back into the kitchen mere minutes later, it was covered in hamburger. The walls, the ceiling, the light fixture, the stove... everything. She lit into them and made them clean it up. They laughed and had a fabulous time cleaning the kitchen and it is a family story that has been told hundreds of times.

I would have flipped, and I think you handled it really well.
#143 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nikki~ View Post
But the worst messes have happened when I was wide awake and doing other "mom" things like cooking or washing diapers. My daughter went through a phase where she needed to rub creams and ointments all over herself, and everything around her. Diaper cream, moisturizer....whatever. Within 3 minutes, she could cover a room with it. I can't even count the amount of times it happened. Kids can make messes at lightning speed.
You know...I'd actually forgotten. DD was doing that about a year ago. She loved "lotion" and anything she thought was like "lotion". Toothpaste all up and down the bathroom door, and the carpet outside the bathroom...when I thought she was still napping. My lovely lavender lotion all over my sheets, comforter, pillow and bedroom carpet. And, I'd forgotten all about it. Wow...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#144 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa49 View Post
Um, I think there was obviously dry cereal available Sorry, couldn't resist.
Now this got me

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#145 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 04:48 AM

Ok, that just sucks.

Flame me at will, but I'm sure swear words would have come bubbling up pretty fast!

My son saw the pic, and he said, "Well, they are young." My "gentle parent" in the making!

There never seems to be an end to some things. Today, I found out my son had cut his pants with a pair of scissors. Several times. He said he liked the "look." (His teenage years are flashing before my eyes now!) Well, since he does have an understanding of money now, he'll be buying another pair of pants for himself tomorrow.

To the OP: Deep breath in, deep breath out. I think you've done a great job with this.

Sharon

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#146 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We have a very small apartment- but Rainey (almost 4) gets up often and I get up get her an apple or something and then go back to my room with the door open- this could so happen to me too... Don't let anyone make you feel bad about sleeping in your own house. Gosh. Sometimes Breeze even gets up and they cuddle in the big chair and watch a movie.

I am sorry- that really had to suck- not to mention the money- agh.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#147 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 12:25 PM

I'm really glad neither child got hurt--if they were pulling food off shelves they could have been injured. I know how hard it is to balance getting enough sleep with being a healthy SAHM, but leaving a 2 yo and a 4 yo to roam yields the "natural consequence" of this mess.
#148 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 01:01 PM

You are not alone. This was my DD (now 5) when she was not yet 3. FWIW, I was home, awake and in the other room cleaning for the holiday while she was...I thought...watching TV.

Why there will be no homemade pie at our house this year.

I entered the room to my daughter throwing flour in the air gleefully and saying, "Mama, come play with me."

http://members.aol.com/odoverachieve...ella_flour.jpg
http://members.aol.com/odoverachieve...lla_flour2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/odoverachieve...lla_flour3.jpg
http://members.aol.com/odoverachieve...lla_flour4.jpg
http://members.aol.com/odoverachieve...bella_feet.jpg
#149 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds View Post
I let my 5 yo look at that picture and I asked, "what do you think happened?"

He said, "Those kids(pointing to the legs on the couch) were hungry."

That made me laugh so hard!:
#150 of 164 Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Seriously, please stop criticizing me for what happened.

The food was on the lowest shelf in a tall pantry cabinet. Right at their level. No one could have gotten hurt pulling the food out.

It's like people think I'm stupid because my kids made a mess!!!! Sh*t happens sometimes!!!!

FTR, I have always had one of the best child-proofed homes of everyone I know!!! And just because I won't put a lock on my pantry closet does not mean I want to put my kids in danger!!! That cabinet has nothing dangerous in it (just messy)!!!!! I shouldn't be shamed for not wanting to put locks on my food cabinet.

I am SO sure that the people making comments have children who have NEVER made a mess, or gotten into something they wish they hadn't!! And if they haven't yet....watch out!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page