OMGosh... I am in shock! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear3 View Post

She just started counselling and is using allopathic medicine. I imagine her process will be long and hard. Not to mention she lives next to her in laws who think this is a great way to raise your kids.

Step by step. I just have to be patient and hope they figure it out. Plus remember not to take parenting advice. Some of the stuff she says... wow.
She's lucky to have you.
#62 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuansprincess View Post

Children in America are diaper-learned and subsequently potty-learned, or, un-diaper-learned. Children stuck in diapers lose the ability to recognize the need to go to the toilet and it is a hard thing (in most cases) for them to re-learn.
I agree with this statement. BUT. It does not help the OP's case.

OP - can you let your sister read this thread?
#63 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
I think Ruthla was just pointingt out that EC is irrelavant to the OP's situation and it is pointless to talk about how an ECed child compares to a diapered one.

I also suspect her talk of rewards was an effort to steer the OP's sister towards something mainstream that she could comprehend, a lesser of two evils so to speak. No one is talking about the ideal way to do things on this thread, just trying to brainstorm ways to minimize the damage, ie asking a doctors advice and having a rewards chart.
Exactly. This particular child is already 2.5 and "diaper trained." The goal here is to help the OP help her sister stop abusing the toddler. We're not defining the ideal way to teach a child to use the toilet.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#64 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#65 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 03:38 PM

I have nothing constructive to offer. But reading that made me feel like I was going to puke.

I tell ya it does make me want to hit someone, the darned parents who think its ok to spank over a child not having full control of their body yet! Its awful that any child would be treated that way.

#66 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear3 View Post
Well, he ds had had an accident and she was telling him that he had to use the potty and so on. Well then she calls her dh in and tells him. He says something I can't understand and my nephew says "NO, NO DAD!"
Given your family history, any chance that your BIL is also abusing your nephew? Your sister?

I'm glad that you have been able to move past your abuse, and that you found people to work with. Definitely bring it up with her when she comes. Talk to her about breaking family patterns. And give her lots of love.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#67 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 03:52 PM

In my earlier post I was in no way saying that the parents were right to have such high expectations of their son that any 'failure' was intentional. I just wanted to challenge the previously stated assertion that children are not able to do this at two and a half even after being used to using nappies.

How many potties do they have in their house? Could you buy them one as a gift so they have more than one? Could you suggest that your nephew might want some privacy to use the potty so they shouldn't be around him when he does it? Perhaps this would allow him to relax a little and not be sitting there waiting to get hit my one of them.

Is your sister disgusted by the mess? Does she hate having to touch the wet clothes and sort him out?

She needs some hints on how to deal with accidents but I haven't really read anything other than 'don't make a fuss' has anyone got anything more step-by-step this-is-what-you-do? Could you pass on some old clothes to them to use for a while or tell them that you have a particular cloth and bucket which you keep for cleaning up and that your dc put their wet clothes straight in the washing machine? If everything was a bit wet I used to stand mine in the bath and swoosh the shower over their legs to freshen them up. Maybe there is too much room for her to use freezing cold water there but it would be a hands off way to clean him up.

Since reading your first post I keep seeing your little nephew in my mind's eye and he is flinching away from a big dark figure. I hope he can be things get better soon so that he can avoid this awfulness but please don't feel bad about yourself if you can't change your sister's behaviour towards him. It is not your fault.
#68 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 04:01 PM

Sorry I haven't had time to read all of these posts but I just want to register my shock. When I read your post I actually gasped. I am sending hope to your nephew. I wish there was something I could do. I am sending love to hime and hope his parents come to their senses.

x
#69 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 04:16 PM

Another reading suggestion:

http://www.amazon.com/No-Cry-Potty-T.../dp/0071476903

Elizabeth Pantley has a "No Cry Potty Training Solution."
#70 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 04:19 PM

: poor babies, NO ONE deserves to be treated that way. Seriously makes me cry and hold on tight to my napping little girl.

11/06 and 1/09 :
#71 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 04:42 PM

Desiree

#72 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 04:59 PM

No advice, just a hug. This post made me cry. I will be praying for this little boy.
#73 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your post just gave me a light bulb moment about my cousin. I stayed with my aunt and uncle for two weeks when my cousin was 3 1/2. He used to hide behind doors or chairs to poop his pants. I don’t remember them spanking him for that, but they did spank for other things so I wouldn’t be surprised. He was almost 5 when he was finally potty trained. The rest of the family attributed it to him being “spoiled,” but I firmly believe he had a fear of going to the bathroom, most likely because of punishment for accidents.

This also reminds me of the Pearls’ method of potty training. He told his son that he was too big for diapers and that since he wouldn’t go in the toilet, he’d have to be cleaned up outside. So he took his son outside and hosed him off. I don’t remember what season it was, but it couldn’t have been summer because the boy wouldn’t have minded it much then. It didn’t take long for his son to use the toilet then, he says, but I guarantee that boy is going to have severe body issues from that alone, not to mention the rest of the Pearls’ “discipline.”

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#74 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 05:24 PM

This is the first thread that's made me cry in a long time.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#75 of 81 Old 02-20-2007, 05:27 PM

OMG, that Pearl story reminded me of a funny story. DD went through a "playing in her poop" phase. At my wits end after one naptime, I decided I was going to make it unpleasant for her to do it again. I took her outside and hosed her off, clothes and all (our weather is warm all year round). She just looked at me and laughed - she loved it!! And I sat there feeling very foolish :-P Anyway, this is a rough subject, so maybe the story will add a little levity. I've seen people acting this way about potty training too, and it sure wasn't helping...
#76 of 81 Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 AM

I have no help, just want to say that I'm heartbroken for your nephew and for you and your sister as well.

I read this thread last night before bed and could not stop thinking about it. If your BIL hit your sister this way it would be grounds for assault charges, it's so very sad that a little child has no voice in this situation.

I'm sure you just want to wrap your arms around the little guy and never let him go.

Your nephew and sister are lucky to have you, I'm hoping the best for you all.
#77 of 81 Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 AM

I only read the first post as I am too upset by this to read more. This is so heartbreaking.: : I will pray for your nephew and his parents.:

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#78 of 81 Old 02-21-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post

GL. Can we have her phone number, pretty please? :
This would be humiliating... and in the abusive mom's mind humiliation seems to work. So yes, I am all for us getting the phone number... ... I say we start out showing anger, then educate

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#79 of 81 Old 02-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
He used to hide behind doors or chairs to poop his pants.
I hope no one thought I punished my daughter, but she would do this once she potty trained for pee, then she would ask for a diaper to poop in. She liked her privacy (even if it was in a diaper) and would sneak away to poop. Then come announce she needed a change....that's just how it went with us. My mom always said that no child goes to college in diapers, so I kinda let my kids take the lead (oh, yeah, and I'm lazy too!).

Have you talked to your sister yet??
#80 of 81 Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 AM

Yeah, my kids both hid behind things to poop in diapers too. Just a privacy thing.
#81 of 81 Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine liked privacy, too. And he didn't start using a toilet for bowel movements until he was 5, either.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page