Child Care GD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-26-2003, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if this has ever been touched on before???? I'm thinking of opening a in-home child care, and am just looking for thoughts and ideas on using GD with a small group of children. I have 2 of my own and would be looking to have 3-4 more children to take care of. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, how would one make sure that GD is used when having to use daycare services? I am currently using daycare (I'm trying to quit my job so I can be home with my kids, but still make money) what kind of questions would one ask to make sure that GD is used? I know that my child care lady is very good, but I am just wondering so I could be prepared for any questions one my ask of me.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Liz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just this past week, I went to a local drop in daycare and watched the care provider there masterfully handle about 12 kids, mostly 3 year olds. Parents were there but she had a pretty good handle on the kids. She was more strict than I am but I really think with that many kids you have to run a tight ship. She was kind and gentle but firm. Like during story time she would stop if somebody was talking or moving around too much and give them the choice to stop or go play out in the hall. She didn't say it nastily just very matter of fact. She also told them before she started how she expected them to behave. Her: "What do you do if you can't see the pictures?" Kids: "Move!" One child was kind of pushing the envelope for the whole circle time and she took him aside after and had a little talk. It was all handled very gently, very simply and with no shaming. I was impressed. During the morning I did hear her offer a time out once but she didn't carry it out. It was an offer and not a threat but next time I'll ask what her policy on time outs is.

It's got to be hard to handle so many kids and especially difficult when you don't know them well. I'm an expert on my son but would be a little lost handling other people's kids.

Good luck!

Liz
#3 of 3 Old 05-26-2003, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GD can be used with any number of kids. I find that it's actually more effective than any other type. I have 4-6 kids usually and I gently work with them. I do a lot of teaching the kids how to do what I want them to do instead of trying to just stop them from doing what I don't want. My day care provider also uses GD with her 10 kids. It's moslty about giving choices like the above poster said, "would you like to listen to the story or sit quietly in the kitchen and color." Alot of GD is also allowing for things not to go particularly perfectly. I also find that with a high level of supervision I can usually prevent kids from being harmful to each other.

Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page