Library behavior ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-28-2003, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! My son is just over 2 years old and we recently moved back into the area. They have wonderful story times at our library which are broken into very specific age groups to help make them age appropriate. They use story flannel boards, puppets, sing songs, etc. Basically it's very engaging. When I went with ds last week it was SOOO frustrating b/c he wouldn't sit down in one spot and listen quietly. He's the one who'se up infront of the book and in kids faces and screaming when I tell him to sit with me in my lap.

He's not like this in other places. Also, he thinks the library is a place to run from one thing to another. I want him to enjoy the library and story time but he needs to learn limits and it's very difficult to try and supportively discipline there so I end up never wanting to go back. Any ideas? HELP!!
#2 of 6 Old 05-28-2003, 12:48 PM

I have had similar problems w/ my dd at storytime (she's 21 mo.). She likes to stand up and walk around during the storytelling- she also went through a phase where during quiet moments she would shout, "Pee pee! Poo poo!" (she had just learned the words.) It was very frustrating. I didn't want to stop taking her, because she LOVES storytime, so what we began to do was this: a few moments before storytime, I would explain to dd that we were about to enter storytime, and that it was a special time for her and the other children along w/ their mommies/daddies. I would tell her that it was important to respect the other children, and that we could do so by using soft voices and sitting/standing in one spot. Once inside, if her behaviour became disruptive to the others, I would explain to her that she needed to stop running, shouting, etc. so that the other children could listen. If she continued, we would step outside for a moment, then return. If she continued after that, we would leave. At this point in her life, I don't harshly reprimand or criticize, because I believe that expecting a curious toddler to sit still and be quiet is a pretty tall order. We would always try again the following week. She has begun doing much better at storytime, because she does not want to leave, but sometimes we still have to, esp. if she is tired or compromised in some way, like teething. It sounds like your son is very excited and stimulated by the experience, which is not necessarily a bad thing! I know how frustrating it can be, though! Good luck!!
#3 of 6 Old 05-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Dar

I took Rain to library storytime once a about that age, and she also wandered and disrupted and it was very frustrating... it was such a cool program and I really wanted her to enjoy it, but she just wasn't there. I could have worked with her on it, I suppose, because I really wanted to be able to share this neat activity with her... but in our case, storytime was really more something I wanted to do with her than something she wanted to do, so we did other things. By three she loved storytimes, and went eagerly and sat through the whole thing and really enjoyed it, but two was too soon... I guess I'd recommend waiting 6 months, or a year.

There are lots of things you can do with young children if you really worj with them on it, but often if you wait a little while it's almost effortless. MHO...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-28-2003, 03:24 PM

Dar,

I think your answer was absolutely perfect!!!!!
#5 of 6 Old 05-28-2003, 03:41 PM

DS (almost 21 months) has been going to storytime since birth (DD, 4 wouldn't miss it!) and this is what I do: sit in the back with DS and let him run when he wants. As long as he is being fairly quiet, I don't think its a problem. Ihave talked to the librarian and she has no problem w/it either (he, in fact, is usually not the only little sib back there). A lot of kids, boys esp, actually learn *better* while on the move

Good luck,
Kay

#6 of 6 Old 05-29-2003, 01:28 AM

Last summer, a couple of months before he turned 2, I started bringing my ds to the library a couple of times a week. We read our own stories rather than attending an organized "storytime." If I sensed that he wasn't in the mood to sit and listen, we chose another activity for the morning- like going to the park. Sometimes our stays at the library lasted for two hours (literally) and other times, 2 minutes. I basically told him that when we're in the library, we're quiet and we enjoy the books, and that if he wasn't in the mood to be quiet or read, that was perfectly fine-- we could do something he WAS in the mood to do. He was very easily able to decide, for himself, if he was in a library mood or not. I guess the best thing I needed to remember was to not get myself feeling committed to a morning at the library - it was all about HIM and HIS mood, not mine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page