need help with my spirited one year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 15 months old and is still mostly non verbal. I'm dealing with some anxiety/ppd issues of my own, so this is probably colouring my judgement somewhat.

I absolutely adore her, and in the best moments she is the light of my life. This week....not so much.

She has always been a loud baby, we say she goes from zero to meltdown in 1.5 seconds.

Anyway, I digress. When she has anything she wants she screams at me until I do it. I've tried hard not to respond to the screaming so as not to teach her that is the way to get my attention, but it hasn't seemed to work. She will sit and thrust whatever she wants at me and yell at me. I just can't handle it anymore. I really need an ap/ gentle way to help her and I get through this before I go off the deep end.

I don't know what to do.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Do you do sign language at all? My DS is 16 months and non verbal (except for ma ma! ma ma! ma ma! all day long) but signing has helped a lot. It was a savior with DD too, even though she was more verbal than DS. It sounds like your DS is just frustrated b/c he can't express himself.

Otherwise I would just model the way you want him to (eventually) ask. If DS is whining/screaming to get on my lap, I usually say (and sign) "do you want to come up? Say up, please. up please, up please" while I pick him up. Good luck. Just remember this will start to solve itself as he becomes more verbal and can ask with words!
Old 04-21-2007, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Those are some great suggestions. Thankyou. I was working with your suggestions today and already things seem to be better. If nothing else I feel like I'm doing something.

I do sign with her, but I have been a bit lax with it lately. She is communicating more and more each day. Lately she has learned head nod yes and shake no which has helped. Today was the first day she's actually been nodding.

I can only imagine how frusteratiing it would be to know what you want and not be able to verbalize it.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010

User Tag List