Do you let your dc climb "up" the slide? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you let your dc crawl "up" the slide?
Yes,slides are f/playing on & children should take turns whether going "up" or "down". 59 14.46%
Yes, as long as they are not keeping others from using the slide and are safe. 292 71.57%
No, absolutely not. Slides are for going "down", not "up". 48 11.76%
other...because there's always a "other" choice. 9 2.21%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey's mom View Post
I think there's a lot of ground betw. micromanaging and not paying attention.

If kids are having trouble respecting other kids at the park (as people here have expressed--and not just in regards to politely going up the slide), then, in my opinion, they need some help. That doesn't seem that controversial to me!
Exactly.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007, 02:55 PM

wow! 4 pages of slide talk!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM

I think the point of taking issue with moms "gabbing" was directly linked to there being problems with her kids and her not being available to help guide/teach/negotiate/intervene.

I'm sure none of us would begrudge another mom taking a breather provided her charges weren't creating problems for someone else.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Causing problems" is pretty subjective. If my daughter bullied someone, she'd go home. But depending on the "problem", I might not get involved regardless of whether I had a friend with me.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:29 PM

I think if someone else is perceiving that my kid is "causing problems," I'm going to try to get involved at some level.

I think that was nicely illustrated in this thread--where even though many of us don't view climbing up the slide as an issue, we're trying to make sure to take other kids and parents into consideration and smooth things over so that everyone can play together.

Like I said, I'm coming from a perspective of generally being right there w/ the kids at the playground and witnessing some pretty "Lord of the Flies" type stuff.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't read minds. Someone else might be thinking my daughter is "causing problems" when all I see is her climbing up the slide. I only get involved if there is a serious disagreement to the point where someone might hit someone, or if there is a small child involved, and then I try to keep my involvement as minimal as possible. If my daughter is really causing problems, we just leave.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
I can't read minds. Someone else might be thinking my daughter is "causing problems" when all I see is her climbing up the slide. I only get involved if there is a serious disagreement to the point where someone might hit someone, or if there is a small child involved, and then I try to keep my involvement as minimal as possible. If my daughter is really causing problems, we just leave.
Well, none of us can read minds. But if a child is climbing up the slide and over a smaller child and one parent is trying to resolve the issue and looking around for the larger child's parent, and that mom is chatting on the phone..........then you might come to a message board and suggest that moms keep an eye on their kid instead of chatting on the phone.

Seriously, I don't know why a call for mindfulness and courtesy is that much of an issue.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 PM

I voted no but I should have voted other.
I let him climb up his slide in his backyard.
I do not let him climb up the slide at the park. ever. even if we are the only people there. it has a blind corner and he could get really hurt without anyone knowing in time to stop it.
I say "up the ladder, down the slide" as a reminder. I do not tell him "no" or not to climb the slide, or physically stop him.
There are lots of things to climb on in the same sort of way at the park-- rope walls, rock walls, windy bars, etc. He doesn't need to climb on the slide.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 PM

But, at the other park, there is a double wide slide, and it seems to be an unwritten rule that the kids climb up one side and slide down the other-- that I allow.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:01 PM

I have to admit that when I am at the park I often have conversations with the other parents or DH. I often, gasp, let my children go to the park by themselves (it's right across the street from our home). Unless my children are hurting others (our family rule is no hurting/be nice) I try not to intervene. I am a firm believer in letting children sort things out among themselves and often they are very good at it! If children are playing on the slide and DD wants to go down, she just asks them to move so she can have a turn. If they don't move she goes on to something else while waiting for a turn--it's really not a big deal

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:27 PM

Wow. How amazingly controversial a simple question became!!!!

Relax folks. I think most of us actually have similar expectations of our children, and I would bet that most of our children are not the ones that occasionally cause the kinds of problems I am talking about. I, too, talk and socialize at the playground, but I always have my eyes and ears open for my kids . . .and make sure they are neither causing nor having a problem. If they are, I move closer to check it out, and if appropriate, tell them to try and work it out first.

So, to clear the air, of course it's fine to be social at the playground. Just don't forget that you should be aware of your kids as well. Last summer I saw a big kid (9 or 10) push 5 y/o boy out of a sand box that he wanted to have all for himself. He was quite rough, and as a result the 5 y/o spent the next 6 weeks in a spica cast for his fractured femur. Nice. The mom of the bigger kid was no where in sight, and clearly this guy didn;t get the "be courteous and keep your hands off of the other kids" lesson, and needed some grown up intervention . . .but the 5 y/o paid the price. I think when some of us are suggesting parents keep an eye on their kids, it's this sort of extreme we are talking about (or at least, that's what I am talking about) . I'll bet the bigger kid didn't expect to really hurt the younger one, but he simply wanted his way and didn't realize how rough he was pushing him (his leg broke on the wooden side of the sand box).
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
No.

They can of course do anything they like on the playset in the back yard (and they frequently do )

But I believe in teaching courtesy on a public playgrounds, and they are not allowed to use the slide in a manner that might be dangerous or inconvenient for others. Going up a slide certainly falls under that umbrella.
:

I totally see where a lot of people have the "what's the big deal" attitude- but my ds was WAY too young to understand safety, much less courtesy when he started being capable of climbing a slide (he's precocious), so I had to just nix it completely. And then I realized that I often had to run up and prevent him from sliding down because some other child was coming up the slide. I hate it when my kid follows the rules and is taking his turn, and then he has to wait for another child who is going the wrong way & out of turn.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, just completed my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBikeLover View Post
As long as no one is trying to go down, I see no issue with letting them climb up the slide.
Ditto
Old 09-26-2007, 06:23 PM

I chose "other". Yes, up and down the slide, with info about what might happen if someone comes down and he is going up. And I help to point out when folks are waiting to use the slide and want to have a turn. He is courteous and shares, and I see no reason to direct his freeplay on the playground slide, when he can observe that others want a turn and he yields it.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBikeLover View Post
As long as no one is trying to go down, I see no issue with letting them climb up the slide.
:
Old 09-27-2007, 12:16 AM

When we are at a play area by ourselves, it's fair game. If there are other kids using the slide, I don't permit climbing up...I think it's an invitation for injury, fights, etc...

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
Old 09-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Going down has the right of way.

But, if nobody is going down, they are more than welcome to go up. I think it's a good skill, and it offers a bit of a challenge.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I think climbing up a slide is part of being a kid. If there are others wanting to go down, than I don't let G climb up, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
Absolutly!
My friend is big on going up as a 'no no!'...but I just think thats so silly, whats the big deal as long as they are safe and no one is wanting to come down (taking turns and all!)

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 PM

I hate it when my kid follows the rules and is taking his turn, and then he has to wait for another child who is going the wrong way & out of turn. [/QUOTE]

But those are YOUR rules, not THE rules.

Just because another family does it different doesn't mean they are doing it the "Wrong Way" or out of turn.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:23 PM

I don't let DD do this right now, because frankly I think she lacks the gross motor skills to do it without possibly hurting herself and I am too hugely pregnant to properly spot her. It goes without saying (to me) that if another kid is waiting to use the slide, then I'd encourage her to get off and let the other kid have his/her turn.

But really, you've gotta love the internet. MDC: Where ANYTHING can turn into an argument!
Old 09-27-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Whoa! This is still going on?!

Well, shortly after I posted this, we had a "no no" slide run-in.

We were at the park in the toddler section. Dd (2yo) was climbing up the slide and I was spotting her. It is a side by side slide, so there was another slide to use right next to it. A little boy about the same age comes to the end of the slide and starts pointing at dd. His mother starts saying...over and over, "oh no adam, that's right. She's not being safe. We don't climb up the slides at school. That is a no no. She shouldn't be doing that should she. She isn't being safe is she?" I was literally standing 2 feet away from this woman as she's saying this. I was livid. Unfortunately, everything in my GD body wanted to pummel her.
One, we weren't at a school. Two, the little boy didn't want to go down the slide and dd wasn't blocking it anyway...and three she passive aggressively told my daughter that I was not keeping her safe and letting do something that would cause her harm. Grrrrr...

Quote:
I hate it when my kid follows the rules and is taking his turn, and then he has to wait for another child who is going the wrong way & out of turn.
Quote:
But those are YOUR rules, not THE rules.

Just because another family does it different doesn't mean they are doing it the "Wrong Way" or out of turn.
ITA!

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 09-27-2007, 06:24 PM

It depends. I think of up-the-slide as requiring more parental responsibility and more kid flexibility. 1) It's okay only when kids are not wanting to go down. IOW, down-sliders get dibs, because down-sliding is fast, and climbing up, at least for DD, is slow. And by this I mean that I will actually move DD or ask her to go down if I see a kid even lurking at the top. 2) It's okay only on certain slides. I would never let her go up a tube slide because the visibility isn't great. A twisty, long slide might have the same trouble.

At home, she is free to climb our slide all she wants.

I guess I'd say "Up the slide is okay only if you're being a helicopter parent" (at least at my kid's age, and even when they're older, I notice kids tend to be oblivious to the needs of littles). And everyone has scorn for us helicopters, so hmm.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 09-27-2007, 07:31 PM

This thread made me chuckle. Earlier this summer, I made a conscious decision to allow DD to climb the slide. That may sound weird, but I did. I throw my hat in the "I want my child to approach issues/problems/whatever from different angles" camp. Yes, I hover more than some parents. But I also pay attention to my kid and don't yell at my kid from across the park. I gently redirect her. I especially hover when the 10 yos basically climb over her on the ropes where she has been playing for 5 minutes and they run over and scramble around before I can pry her little fingers off.

Kids can get hurt at the park even when they are the only kid and mom, or other, is hovering. It is part of the territory.

DD is very smart and very able to discern between home rules and daycare rules even at 2. Does she make the right choices 100% of the time? No, but then who does?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 PM

I don't have any "park rules" other than being consciencious of other playground patrons

oh, and no littering

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 PM

I'm fine with kids climbing up the slide, as long as it's a "safe" slide for climbing up, everyone gets along and takes turns, and kids who want to go down the slide get first priority - everyone moves outta the way and lets them go when they want.

We were at a local fast food joint : with some friends recently, eating inside where they have a "play area". There were also several other families there, and tons of kids playing together. A lot of the kids were taking turns going up the slide. If someone wanted to go down the slide, they all moved and let the child go down, then they resumed playing. There was NO fighting, NO arguing, NO parent involvement (beyond us all just watching them have fun). All these kids were between the ages of 18 months and 6 yrs old, and they all got along and played together amazingly well!

About 15 minutes into it, another family showed up, and their child ran in to join the fun, but when she went to climb up the slide, they piped in and told her, "No, slides are for going down only, not climbing up." in a very directive tone which was really aimed at all the children there.: It became uncomfortable, children started bickering, and soon after, we left.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
No.

They can of course do anything they like on the playset in the back yard (and they frequently do )

But I believe in teaching courtesy on a public playgrounds, and they are not allowed to use the slide in a manner that might be dangerous or inconvenient for others. Going up a slide certainly falls under that umbrella.
:
Old 09-30-2007, 04:38 AM

I remember when I was a kid at recess (sp?) the playground supervisors would yell at us if we walked up the slides and this used to make me frustrated because I was one of the playground monkeys.
So now I actually encourage my 6 year old daughter to climb whatever however she wants at the playground when she's with me. If it seems unsafe I just tell her to let me be around so I can spot her if she slips. I'm sure some of the parents are mad about it, but so what. At least my kid can be free in her fun and I make sure she is safe, so there is no harm in it. I'm also one of those parents running around on the playground with my daughter instead of sitting there chatting with the other adults. It makes me feel like a kid again and it's so fun. I even played with the kids on the playground when I had a job as a teachers assistant, and they loved that I played with them... Of course I made the teacher jealous cause the kids liked me over her so I no longer have that job.

Angel Miette
Old 09-30-2007, 11:50 AM

I let them when they are the only ones playing on it. Otherwise it does create a bit of a danger.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:49 PM

James is afraid of going down the slide (not sure why) but he will happily climb up it just a wee bit, never out of my reach.

If no one else is trying to go down the slide I see no issue in letting him. I have also gotten the hairy eyeball.

One woman...her DD was attempting to follow James up the slide. Her mother promply came over and YANKED her off the slide and said "Do NOT climb up the slide. You only go down on your bottom." or something to that effect. Then she looked at me like she expected me to do the same thing to James. I asked if her DD wanted to slide down the slide? and she said "No, she was only climbing up it because YOU are allowing him to do it." WTF-ever lady. I said "Okey...if she wants to go down I'll move him, it's no problem." and she just huffed off.

I let James so long as there aren't other kids wanting to go down/the park isn't busy. Typically it's pretty dead, only 2 or 3 kids there if that. So I don't worry about it.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 09-30-2007, 02:22 PM

I voted:

Yes, as long as they are not keeping others from using the slide and are safe.

even though I suffered a neck injury as a child from climbing up the slide. I figure mine was just a freak accident and I shouldn't stop dd from doing something that I know is fun, especially when all the kids are doing it. It's such a fun challenge, and I don't see why I should make her stand aside to only watch and yearn just because I got hurt once. Same would go for climbing trees. Somebody somewhere is going to fall and break an arm, but it doesn't happen to every kid everytime.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

User Tag List