Do you let your dc climb "up" the slide? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you let your dc crawl "up" the slide?
Yes,slides are f/playing on & children should take turns whether going "up" or "down". 59 14.46%
Yes, as long as they are not keeping others from using the slide and are safe. 292 71.57%
No, absolutely not. Slides are for going "down", not "up". 48 11.76%
other...because there's always a "other" choice. 9 2.21%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 09-30-2007, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Climb away! Experiment! Have fun!
I've never thought not to let them climb the slide....though I do teach them to respect the others around them, if someone else wants to slide down, well, just find something else to climb...
We try not to frequent the playgrounds during the busy times (unless we're in another country and I want my kids to meet and play with some local children) but here at home, I'm just not great with the 'playground ettiquette, nor is DH, so we'll take them at dusk, or when it's raining. So usually it's just us and a handful of older kids, and they all climb the slide...
#92 of 107 Old 10-01-2007, 02:49 AM

this is why I MDC! A bunch of impassioned mamas intelligently argueing their cases with reason & vigor!

Here's my 2cents:

up & down: babies/kids of all ages will naturally try to climb up a slide, the natural rule being that gravity has the right of way. When DS was too young to understand that another kid was coming down, he was too young to be on the slide by himself, I was appropri-hovering to take him off & tell him why.

Misc slide usage: If kids are obviously in line to go down the slide, then somebody going up is cutting line. If big kids are using the tube slide as a club house, they need to be nice to the baby & let the baby get thru.

bigkid/little kid: If big(ger) kids are being reckless with little kids, I don't ignore or retreat, but always ask them to watch out & take care with the little ones. Sometimes they look at me like it's a brand new concept, but it makes them think. Now that my DS is a bigger kid, it's his turn to take care & I watch him closely when toddlers abound. Again, the appropri-hover.

Talking with other moms/on cell phone on the playground: well hell yeah. I'm not there to climb the slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Patootie View Post
His mother starts saying...over and over, "oh no adam, that's right. She's not being safe. We don't climb up the slides at school. That is a no no. She shouldn't be doing that should she. She isn't being safe is she?"
Perhaps that mama should have been reminded of the "not nice to talk about other people as if they don't have ears" rule.

~Maria:
#93 of 107 Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM

i let my kids as long as they aren't preventing another child from using the slide. if the playground is busy i try to point them in the direction of the steps to go to the top of the slide, but if there aren't many kids or kids in the area of the slide then i just let them climb up the slide as long as they are safe.
#94 of 107 Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

My dd can go up or down so long as she's not clogging the tubes, as it were. Well, at least in my presence. DH does NOT like seeing her climbing up because apparently a friend of his broke his arm falling off the slide while climbing up or something. I've explained to him that she could potentially break her arm using any kind of playground equipment the way it was intended to be used, and as I and generations of other children have climbed up slides, jumped off swings, or done things on monkey bars that now make my stomach churn, I don't see a problem with it -- but if it makes HIM uncomfortable, I will redirect her to go down the slide in his presence.

DD is 2.5 now and has gotten pretty good about taking turns and only climbing up unoccupied slides (the playground here has like 6 slides, so there's always one that's not in use)

Frankly I'm more afraid of stairs than slides. I ripped every tendon in my right ankle (save for my Achilles' tendon, fortunately) by falling off those tiny flights of stairs on playground structures. Actually, I think I fear mostly for MYSELF while at the park or play places than DD. She's resilient and agile and has never been more than scratched or bumped. I, on the other hand, am prone to severe injury, lol.
#95 of 107 Old 10-01-2007, 04:55 PM

No, they are not for going up. My son gave some kid a bloody nose because it was a spiral slide and he didn't see it. It is rude to the people wanting to go down the slide to have to deal with a person going up. I don't let my kids do it even when alone because they don't need to be getting in the habit of it.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#96 of 107 Old 10-01-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubris View Post
Up, down, it's all good.

Saying "we don't climb up the slide" seems like a pretty nice way to teach kids not to experiment. How limiting! Assuming there isn't already somebody coming down it, WHY NOT climb up the slide?
yup.

Diana. Wife and partner to Jon since 11/04. Home-birthing, natural milky momma to Katie Annalie - 08/06 and Evan Frederick - 06/09
grouphug.gif

designer/manufacturer of: http://www.onyababy.com

#97 of 107 Old 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM

I voted other because we really don't have a rule. I encourage going down, but since DC (4yo) is fairly timid about slides we haven't had much experience with going up.

That said, I thought of this thread today at the playground when the above referenced DC was playing on the relatively empty play structure. He was just working up the courage to go down, sat down and looked over to me. I smiled to encourage him and just at that moment 5 older kids (6-8) years come running up and start climbing up the slide. DC hightailed it out of there and didn't go near the slide again. Of course the parents come strolling up chatting over their Starbucks and completely oblivious as their kids proceed to run roughshod over the three LOs already there. :

Don't know where that puts me. I really don't have a problem with going up the slide in general, but it does seem that the rules that need to go along with that (no climbing up when someone is coming down, waiting for turns, understanding that younger kids sometimes need more space, etc.) are subtle and not easily internalized by kids who are of the age to use a slide. I have seen many kids patiently waiting at the top of a slide for their turn while other kids climb up and down over and over. I think it's the parents, not the rule, that is the problem, though.
#98 of 107 Old 10-01-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Patootie View Post
I am constantly seeing parents snagging their kids off the middle of the slide, on the way up , saying, "we do not climb up the slide". There isn't usually anyone else playing on the slide, so maybe it is for my "hearing range" benefit? I don't know, just wondering.
Ha! I see/hear that a lot around here too. I don't get it. I've never had a problem with DD climbing up the slide if she wants to. Obviously before she was old enough to safely do it, I helped her if she REALLY showed interest in doing it that way. I don't see the big deal either. Some parents over-parent.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#99 of 107 Old 10-02-2007, 03:27 AM

Somewhere I have a picture of my then 3 year old with a nasty black eye that happened when a bigger than her boy (maybe 5ish) trampled her climbing up the slide, while there are a million ways this could have happened. it did he felt bad realy bad because he slipped and my DD happened to run under him..
In general no. Slides are not designed in general to be climbed lots of injuries happen I see it all the time. So we have a slide down use stairs. Now depending on the sitaution if were at a priviate slide a place where shes alone and now that shes older and can clearly see the diffrence between being alone and with others I'm a bit more relaxed and places where one HAS to climb the slide to et to diffrent levels then of course thats diffrent.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#100 of 107 Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
Ha! I see/hear that a lot around here too. I don't get it. I've never had a problem with DD climbing up the slide if she wants to. Obviously before she was old enough to safely do it, I helped her if she REALLY showed interest in doing it that way. I don't see the big deal either. Some parents over-parent.
I'm one of the most layed back parents when it comes to "park" play I'm also one that will not allow climbing up. I will go take my child off and say no climbing use the stairs because its our rule and its not so others can hear our rules.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#101 of 107 Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds View Post
I thought all kids knew that if you were climbing up the slide and a little one wanted to come down you were supposed to put your feet to the sides and make a tunnel with your body.
Okay you know my feelign from the past few posts but this did make me chuckle .. Though when its a 3 year old climbing up and a 10 year old comming down... :

#102 of 107 Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 PM

I believe all parks should have an "upslide" and a "downslide" marked with arrows. At our favorite park, there are multiple slides, so I ask the girls to use one as an up only and the others as down. Of course, if there are alot of children there, we find upslides to cause more confusion so then we only go down.

We don't slide head first on slides due to head injury concerns but really, that is the only "rule."

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#103 of 107 Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
For those of you who are getting the hairy eyeball, has it occurred to you that parents are being forced to keep their kids away from the slide while your child goes haywire on it?
Haywire? As long as nobody else is using the slide my dd likes to go UP the slide and I have NEVER seen her go HAYWIRE! :
#104 of 107 Old 10-04-2007, 03:46 PM

I think I started this very same post about a year ago (although I didn't have a poll in mine)!

It was because I got dirty looks from a mama who saw my child walking up the slide, and she said very loudly so I'd be sure to get the point, to her daughter " Slides are for going down, NOT up." There were two slides next to each other, and so my daughter wasn't blocking this other girl from using a slide or anything.

I was thinking WTF? - but I ignored her. I let my child play almost any way she wants to at the park unless she is in immediate danger or is preventing other kids from playing. And that means climbing on things, and up things, and using the equipment any dang well she pleases (within reason).

Also, I just hate having to force so many rules on a small child. They're going to be restricted in so many ways when they are grown up - why not let childhood play be free and unencumbered if at all possible??
#105 of 107 Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM

I voted no, and just wanted to add something for the mamas who say, "I don't let my child climb up the slide if it is preventing another child from playing." Here's my problem with this logic. My daughter, who is 2.5 years old is very laid back...she isn't likely to show that she wants to go down the slide if someone else is on it using it the "wrong way". To other park patrons...she would look as if she isn't interested in the slide while their child is climbing up the slide over and over. However, I can see that sad little look in her eye when all she wants to do is try the slide, but is unsure of the child using the slide "the other way". And she starts twirling her hair (she does this when she is anxious). She NEVER gets this look when other children are going up the stairs, or up the rock-climbing wall part to get to the slide where they get to go down. She will just go up to the slide and take her turn going down at this point. Do not assume that another child doesn't want to use the slide just because they aren't standing there waiting...they may just be cautious like my little one. There have been numerous times that I have had to go up to another child to say, "Excuse me, may my daughter take a turn going down the slide?" This is why I do not let my child go up the slide. There are many other ways to go up...the stairs, the ladder, the rock climbing wall, etc.
#106 of 107 Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmama View Post
There have been numerous times that I have had to go up to another child to say, "Excuse me, may my daughter take a turn going down the slide?" This is why I do not let my child go up the slide.
You seem to see this (speaking up in your dd's behalf) as a tragic thing -- but I actually see it as very pro-active, and great modeling for your dd on how to assertively pursue the things she wants. If no one ever climbed up the slide, that'd be one less growth opportunity for your dd and for children everywhere.

I forsee a time when your dd will be more verbal, and, thanks to your example, she'll know she has more options than looking sad and twirling her hair, when confronted with frustrating circumstances.

There's a reason children have parents, and I think the above example is one of them. My 2 1/2 yo also needs active parenting at the park -- but I don't see it as tragic, I see it as an investment in her future.

And yes, I let my children go up the slide, while helping them to stay safe and to consider the feelings and safety of others.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#107 of 107 Old 10-05-2007, 11:31 PM

I think this is a great question. So often I see parents at the playground scolding their kids from climbing up the slide. I personally come to the playground for ds to play, climb, slide, run, scream, etc., and if he wants to climb up the slide, that's quite okay with me. I do encourage him to let the kid coming down go first, though, and then they usually climb back up together.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page