Do you let your dc climb "up" the slide? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you let your dc crawl "up" the slide?
Yes,slides are f/playing on & children should take turns whether going "up" or "down". 59 14.46%
Yes, as long as they are not keeping others from using the slide and are safe. 292 71.57%
No, absolutely not. Slides are for going "down", not "up". 48 11.76%
other...because there's always a "other" choice. 9 2.21%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do. I don't see what the big deal is? I do teach them that they may not climb up the slide when others are using it, etc...but if it's just us or there is no one playing on the slides, I don't care. I am constantly seeing parents snagging their kids off the middle of the slide, on the way up , saying, "we do not climb up the slide". There isn't usually anyone else playing on the slide, so maybe it is for my "hearing range" benefit? I don't know, just wondering.
I do know that 2 or 3 trips up the big slide for my 2 yo wears her out wonderfully.

So, do you think crawling up the slide is a ?

ETA: I always "spot" my kids when they are going up.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#2 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM

I think climbing up a slide is part of being a kid. If there are others wanting to go down, than I don't let G climb up, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#3 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM

My kids always climb up the slide. I think it is AOK unless someone is waiting to go down the slide. I don't see what the big deal is about this and I've also seen lots of parents saying no to this.

My dd, at 18 months, could climb one of those big enclosed slides REALLY fast and then I'd have to figure out a way to get her down. That was a little tricky.
#4 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 11:00 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. If no one is coming down, why not go up? I do sometimes feel conflicted when I'm allowing my son to do it and another parent is telling her child not to, especially when I get the hairy eyeball like I'm a bad mom for allowing it.
#5 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 11:15 PM

Definitely. We have two slides in our back yard on which they often have races, to see who can get up faster. At the playground, I don't care as long as there's not someone who is trying to come down the slide at the same time, especially if that kid can't see anyone trying to come up, in the case of a tube or twisty slide.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#6 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha_2sons View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. If no one is coming down, why not go up? I do sometimes feel conflicted when I'm allowing my son to do it and another parent is telling her child not to, especially when I get the hairy eyeball like I'm a bad mom for allowing it.
exactly

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#7 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 11:34 PM

Up, down, it's all good.

Saying "we don't climb up the slide" seems like a pretty nice way to teach kids not to experiment. How limiting! Assuming there isn't already somebody coming down it, WHY NOT climb up the slide?

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#8 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

No.

They can of course do anything they like on the playset in the back yard (and they frequently do )

But I believe in teaching courtesy on a public playgrounds, and they are not allowed to use the slide in a manner that might be dangerous or inconvenient for others. Going up a slide certainly falls under that umbrella.
#9 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 11:37 PM

I let my son climb up as long as no one is waiting to come down. It is a bit awkward when the other parents around me are telling the kids they can't climb the slides. I remember when I was 5, I was playing at the park with my friend and I could climb the slide and she couldn't. So I got to have twice as many turns as she did because it took longer to walk around to the ladder. She was so mad she bit me so hard she broke the skin on my arm. That didn't stop me from climbing the slide but it did stop me from playing with her again.
#10 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 11:55 PM

If there are no other kids going down, of course! I see no reason not to allow it, unless she might be causing inconvenience to others.
#11 of 107 Old 08-11-2007, 11:59 PM

Ds knows he can only climb up the slide at a public playground as long as nobody else wants to use it. If we see another kid coming over to slide down, he moves out of the way.

He's got a playset at home with a slide, and climbs up it all the time
#12 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
No.

They can of course do anything they like on the playset in the back yard (and they frequently do )

But I believe in teaching courtesy on a public playgrounds, and they are not allowed to use the slide in a manner that might be dangerous or inconvenient for others. Going up a slide certainly falls under that umbrella.

Nothing irritates me more than when my 2 year old is waiting to go down and there are 7 & 8 year olds climbing up the slide or clogging it up on purpose. I'd rather just teach him that slides are meant to slide down, not climb up.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#13 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 10:03 AM

I'm the "other" chooser.

If we are at home with just family they can climb up our slides.

If we are playing at the elementary school playground we never climb up the slides (even when no one else is around) because that is the school's rule. DS will likely go to that school next year.

If we are playing in a park with other kids, no climbing up. My son is seven so he's bigger than many park kids and it can be hard to get around the smaller kids at the top of the slide if he DOES climb up. I wish other people's kids wouldn't let them climb up because I also worry (especially on spiral slides) the he'll be sliding down and won't notice a two year old just starting to climb up and the little child may wind up clobbered by my son as he's coming down).

It's also kind of "laziness" on my part. If they are all sliding DOWN the slide and climbing UP the ladder it requires a lot less intervention ("Let X go down the slide. Y, you may climb up now, no one is waiting. Be careful sliding, always yell down the spiral slide to let those at the bottom know you're coming down - oh, be careful little Z! X just said he's coming down and you don't want him to land on you!").

There are days I'm just not up to that level of supervision and interaction, especially at 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

And the final reason for the "other" is that I do sometimes act inconsistent and let them climb up public slides when there are only a few other kids around, it's going smoothly without a lot of intervention and no little ones are near the slide who may try to climb up and get hurt.
#14 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned

dd climbs up, slides down any old which way she wants to

We do model being respectful of others and if children are trying to slide down, dd almost always backs down the slide without being asked or whatever ---

I have gotten the "hairy eyeball" too when dd is climbing up a slide or playing with other equipment in a way that is perceived "wrong" to other people (even if nothing is being harmed, no one is being hurt or inconvenienced) --

It's a park sheesh.
#15 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really try to regulate my daughter's play as little as possible. Unless I see some kind of immediate safety concern, she does what she wants. So I put yes unless there's someone sliding down - as that's an immediate safety concern.
#16 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 AM

As long as no one is trying to go down, I see no issue with letting them climb up the slide.
#17 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 11:03 AM

Like most of the other posters I have no problem as long as my kids are being respectful of the other sliders. I have often been the recipient of the hairy eyeball and I don't care. I prefer to teach my kids to approach obstacles from many angles, telling them there is only one way up and one way down is, to me, like telling a kid to color in the lines.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#18 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

For those of you who are getting the hairy eyeball, has it occurred to you that parents are being forced to keep their kids away from the slide while your child goes haywire on it?
#19 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 11:59 AM

We're not at that age yet, but-- I figure I would allow it if we were the only ones there, but not if there were anyone else around or if there were a posted rule (I see them at a lot of playgrounds) against it.
#20 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
For those of you who are getting the hairy eyeball, has it occurred to you that parents are being forced to keep their kids away from the slide while your child goes haywire on it?
Well, it is my opinion that no one is forced to do anything (in *normal* situations, I am not speaking of like, political prisoners and such) --- parks are to be played on and my child is free to play however she likes so long as she is respecting others and staying safe ---

If someone is across the park feeling "forced" to keep their child away from the slide, to me that is their issue for not speaking up, not mine. In other words, a few seconds of observation would show them that I help dd stay respectful of other sliders (in that she moves or I help redirect if others want to slide) -- Also, if their child wanders near the slide, I will usually ask the child if they seem to be holding back "did you want to slide? You can take a turn!" (in a friendly way, then explain to dd the child is wanting a turn and dd has had no issues moving aside) ...

So I really don't understand the mindset of "forcing" someone to stay away from anything -- other people's fear of asking a question is not my concern -- I could easily say those people are trying to "force" my child to play the way they dictate -- but I don't -- I mind my own business, act friendly, make it known (without actually taking their hand and leading them to the slide) in my mannerisms and words that anyone is free to use the slide (dd has never had an issue sharing it) --

Where is get the hairy eyeball in my understanding of what I have seen and heard is when a parent is lying to their child or saying some nonsense about it being against the law orthe "park people" are going to come get them in trouble or some such, and then dd is climbing up the slide and the kid wonders why she can do it -- continuing a deception a parent started in order to keep their kids from doing something they don't want is not my job. I really respect (even if I don't understand) when parents simply say "I don't want you to climb up the slide for ______ reason" and explain that dd is doing it because I said it was okay. Strange, don't get the hairy eyeball from them.
#21 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
I really try to regulate my daughter's play as little as possible. Unless I see some kind of immediate safety concern, she does what she wants. So I put yes unless there's someone sliding down - as that's an immediate safety concern.
Me too!!!!

Punk, hippy, mama to 4 amazing kiddos, Boy#1 (18), TheGirl (13), Boy#2 (11- PBD) and Boy#3 (6)
#22 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 12:38 PM

I picked yes if there are no other children and it is safe.
I let her climb the slide now (she is 4.5) but I did not let her climb the slide when she was under 3, because I felt it would be too difficult for her to discern when it is safe and remember the rule about not climbing when other children are there.
But it does bug me a lot when there are kids waiting to use the slide and one kid keeps climbing up.
#23 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:

LOL... well, my kids are hardly going "haywire" by climbing up. And like I said, I make sure they are not thwarting any one else's fun. If a mom wants to micromanage her kids and make sure they only go up the up and down the down that's her choice.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#24 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
LOL... well, my kids are hardly going "haywire" by climbing up. And like I said, I make sure they are not thwarting any one else's fun. If a mom wants to micromanage her kids and make sure they only go up the up and down the down that's her choice.
I'm glad you make sure your kids aren't "thwarting anybody else's fun" because most parents here do not care. We have a huge park near our house and it is always packed with kids.

Twice I've had DS go down the tube slide and after about 30 seconds he still has not emerged. Both times it was because bigger kids had blocked the tube slide and he's stuck in there with them crying! I try to remember that they're just playing but boy does it make me angry that they they just ignore another littler kid coming down, even after he starts crying out of fear from being stuck in a small space with these big kids.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#25 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 01:30 PM

the park we go to often, no one else is there but us...in this case - i could care less if they go up the slide. if we are at an indoor play place that's really crowded, i ask them to go down the slide only. i don't want my kiddos to get hurt climbing up while another kid is sliding down and vice versa. it's about safety imo, not so much courtesy.....it's a playplace!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#26 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
I'm glad you make sure your kids aren't "thwarting anybody else's fun" because most parents here do not care. We have a huge park near our house and it is always packed with kids.

Twice I've had DS go down the tube slide and after about 30 seconds he still has not emerged. Both times it was because bigger kids had blocked the tube slide and he's stuck in there with them crying! I try to remember that they're just playing but boy does it make me angry that they they just ignore another littler kid coming down, even after he starts crying out of fear from being stuck in a small space with these big kids.

yep - that would tick me off too probably. not only can it be scary to your child, but someone could easily get hurt. not cool.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#27 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 03:05 PM

I think it's part of the fun of slides, but only if the situation allows it!
I ask my kids to only go up if there aren't any other kids around. It is
a safety issue and so far it has worked out o.k. I think it teaches them
to be more aware of those around them and have fun at the same time.
I say "not right now", not "we don't do that" like many parents at the park
seem to do. I usually get some strange looks!
#28 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 04:55 PM

I'm not sure how it follows that all children who are climbing up the slide are necessarily going haywire or are preventing other children from using the slide.

Allowing children to explore playground equipment doesn't have to clash with teaching courtesy toward other people. You can do both!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#29 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 05:20 PM

#30 of 107 Old 08-12-2007, 05:23 PM

For now the rule is no climbing. They aren't aware enough of others to know when others are and aren't trying to use the slide.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page