Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: I made it through the whole thing.

Wow.

1st:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
<snip>
I wanted to say that it seems really unusual to me that a pediatrician would refer a one year old for this kind of problem or that a psychologist would agree to take the appointment. It gets me wondering if there is more to this than we are hearing in a single post. What kinds of problems are you having? It sounds like there must be something you and the pediatrician are concerned about. What kind of help were you hoping to get? It sounds like you didn't get it so I'm wondering if there is still something going on that you could use help with.
I wondered myself, why would your ped think a ONE YEAR OLD has any need of a psychologist... barring any obvious signs of chemical imbalance, or behavioral imbalance.

Ok... 2nd:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexysmommy View Post
<snip>
the more i think about this, the more i want to do SOMETHING about this lady...educate her, write a letter to someone about her..i dont know exactly, but it really upsets me to know she is telling people that they need to let their children CIO in order for them to be independant...i cant imagine how many people she has already told that to, that have LISTENED to her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexysmommy View Post
<snip>i am going to read through everything, and drop a letter off to her next week when i go back. even if she doesnt take it seriously, at least i will know that i tried.
Did you send a letter to her office? Any response? I wanted to recommend you call your ped out on sending a mom he knows (hope he knows, otherwise tell him ffr) is an AP, anti-CIO mom to such a half-wit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
Yes! Never talk to the ped about non-medical problems. "How's he sleeping?" "Great!" "How's he eating?" "Great!"

Also, you master the "smile and nod" technique. "Now that your baby is 6 months, you need to introduce cereal." Smile and nod. "Your baby is a year now, so wean him since there's no benefit to continuing nursing." Smile and nod. "Make sure your baby is sleeping in his own bed." Smile and nod.
Now imagine you had to do this at all the family functions... with your father-in-law... dc's pediatritian... tho fil doesn't do the poking and prodding, it's just his practice and colleagues we see... but still.

alexysmommy: a book you may find really valuable as supplemental to your APing technique...(click links) Raising a Secure Child: Creating an Emotional Connection Between You and Your Child
Zeynep Biringen, Ph.D.
which uses the Emotional Availability Scales (she innovated them) to constantly and consistently adjust and maintain the quality of Attachment we have with our children... from infant into late adolescence (20's).

Excerpts from review:
Quote:
* Using the principles of emotional availability, along with plenty of exercises and examples of how to put these principles to use, Dr. Biringen teaches parents to identify strategies of connection that work with their children, assess the strong points and weak points of their relationships and work on both, deal with behavioral problems in different age groups, and build an emotional safety net for children to serve as a powerful and effective foundation for future success.

* The book covers the Eight Principles of Emotional Availability, the two sides of emotional connection, the impact of your own childhood on your child (you may be harboring more childhood baggage than you think!), ways to keep the connection strong even during stressful times, and supporting your child through their school years, divorce, remarriage or a major crisis, when the bonds of deep connection can often become fragile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List