Systematic Training for Effective Parenting class? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My township is offering a class called Systematic Training for Effective Parenting (STEP). From the quick little bit that I read, it sounds like a great, non-punitive parent training class. Has anyone taken it or know anything about it? It doesn't cost anything, but I don't want it to be a waste of time either.

TIA!
#2 of 6 Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 PM

If it is Thomas Gordon's "Parent Effectiveness Training", yes it is ver respectful of both the parent and child's needs.. Others, I don't know. http://www.gordontraining.com/about-...as-gordon.html I believe there are several other "like named" training which are not associated with his research and programs.

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 6 Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 PM

It's not the same thing as P.E.T., though there's a Thomas COBB involved, not Gordon. It sounds kind of sketchy to me, if you read the bottom of this page http://www.lifematters.com/step.asp , sketchy as far as how GD it actually is. It seems to offer a way for parents to punish wihout looking like bad guys?
#4 of 6 Old 09-20-2007, 07:23 PM

If you are refering to the paragraph of punishment fitting the crime it rather does the opposite. It seems rather to let the child own their own problems, in as much it's not something that can acutely endanger them. If you haven't done your homework, you're the one that have to live with the concequences. (And hopefully the parents put their kids in a school that doesn't use punitive discipline.) Removing a kid from a dangerous situation (such as not letting a little kid remain playing outside if s/he can't stay out of the street) might be seen as punishment from the kids POV. After all... s/he was having fun. But I doubt anyone would think a parent horrible for keeping their children safe.
#5 of 6 Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 PM

I read the book. I don't remember thinking much about it, good or bad (so it couldn't have been awful).
It *might* have been a little punitive, but only in "logical consequences" ways, not harsh punishment.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#6 of 6 Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 PM

my mother took these classes years ago. i'm headed to her house in a few minutes. i'll have a looksee.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page