Peanut butter all day long? And visiting homes that have lots of junk food. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was reading a thread here about food issues. I really like the idea of not setting any strict rules about eating - I know I wouldn't like anyone to do that with me. But he wants peanut butter for breakfast, lunch and dinner. WWYD? Would you let your DC just eat that to his heart's content? He doesn't even want bread... just a spoon.

Also, on a related note, what about going to other's homes that have junk food. Most of the people we know around here are always stocked up on cookies, cake and chocolate. DS LOVES this stuff now - even though I don't keep it at home. I don't even mind the occassional treat, cuz I love having treats too! But we visit people quite a lot because DS just loves being around other people. So this issue confronts me almost every week. When everyone else is eating I feel bad telling him he can't because I don't want him to resent eating healthy. But his eating habits have gotten horrible because this situation arises way too much. I try to bring healthy snacks for him but in the face of chocolate cake who's gonna want that stuff anyways? Most of the time when we go places he won't even eat dinner/lunch just cake and cookies!
#2 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM

DD is only 8 mos so I don't have to deal with this yet, but my sister's dd is 4 and she doesn't have any strict rules either, but she does work on balance, explaining that you can eat anything you want but our bodies like to have balance. So you can have so much of this and if you're still hungry you can choose something else, then something else and so on. It seems to work really well because then she gets to eat what she wants but she's not overdoing it on any one thing.
Another thing is that we don't want her thinking anything is BAD for her (in the mindset that thoughts create reality) we believe that everything nurishes the body in it's own way (boxed browines have lots of "bad stuff" in them but there is 2/3 C of olive oil, so that is nourishing us, ect..) so when she is in a situation where there are foods that we would prefer that she not eat, we just go with the balance thing that one cookie is ok, then you need to choose something else.
Hope this helps a little, if not, at least PB is just peanuts!

Christian mama to one dear girl, and wife to a Jesus - loving husband smile.gif  

#3 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 06:10 PM

On the peanut butter I would probably let it go for now. IME obsessions like that don't last long if you let them eat all they want.

-Angela
#4 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 PM

Peanut butter's not bad. Get the all-natural no sugar added stuff. As for junk, what I do is not keep it in my house. Then if we go somewhere and there's junk, they can have some (and so can I ). It's a treat, not part of a healthy lifestyle. All things in moderation, right?

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#5 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

I know peanut butter's not bad, I'd just like him to have a bit more balanced of a diet. We don't keep junk food at home either and that was pretty much my perspective -that if we go somewhere, ok no biggie, at least he's not getting it at home. But nowadays we seem to be out and about quite a lot and it's causing disruption in his eating habits at home. He wakes up in the morning and cries he wants cake.
But as far as his obsession w/ PB goes, I'm going to try to let him eat as much as he wants. I agree, there has to be a point that it will end.
#6 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM

IDK if you were joking or not about the peanut butter straight from the jar, but just so you know, the nurses at the school where I teach make a big deal about not eating pb straight. If someone chokes on a gob of pb, the heimlich (sp) doesn't necessarily work.
As for food, I was one of those kids who only wanted pb&j. I was only allowed it for one meal a day. I think the limitation was a good idea, because I really would've eaten it exclusively forever. I remember eating asparagus for the first time because my mom wouldn't let me have yet another pb&j and I loved it. So I did expand my horizons with some limitations. My mom never got into a power play with me over food, but she also never just let me have whatever I wanted. She would explain to me rationally that junk food was really bad for skin, health, energy, etc. I understood.
#7 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Honestly, he does eat it out of a plate. I've never really thought about choking though, but he usually takes small bites. I wonder if it's still a concern then. I actually have tried explaining to him that we need to eat all kinds of food so we can be strong etc etc... doesn't really work. He's at this age where he doesn't want to hear anything and his comprehension of what I'm saying is not 100% either. He's pretty verbal for a 2.5 year old but a lot of things go over his head too.
Just out of curiousity, do you remember how old you were when your mom used to explain things like that to you?
#8 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 11:14 AM

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't look at your son's age. I was older, probably 5. Perhaps I'm on the wrong board for this, but I would limit certain foods and encourage others. If he really doesn't want to eat something, never force, but I would set limits. JMHO.
#9 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 11:17 AM

Have you tried hummus? It's similar to pb, but might provide a nice alternative sometimes.
#10 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 AM

How about giving him the peanut butter on apple slices or celery? That still tastes like peanut butter (but the added crunchy is a good contrast), and then you know he's at least getting some other food groups.

But really, unless it continues for weeks (months) on end, I wouldn't worry about it too too much. Just watch out for constipation with all that peanut butter!

As far as the visiting goes, I agree with the everything in moderation thought. If you're at someone's house, you can also limit the amount of junk that he's allowed to consume (ie, one cookie or a few chips, etc), so that he doesn't feel deprived (especially if others are eating the items in front of him), but he gets that there is a limit, too.

My DS is just a little bit older, and he gets on food kicks, too, where he only wants one particular thing all the time. We try to get the variety in, but only sometimes are we successful. I keep telling myself he'll grow out of it.
#11 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
On the peanut butter I would probably let it go for now. IME obsessions like that don't last long if you let them eat all they want.

-Angela
I concur.

Some peanut butter has very little for ingredients
#12 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 03:31 PM

There's this really good smoothie called Big Yummy it has 3 banana's, 2 dates, milk (soy, rice or dairy) and 2 table spoons of pb. It is like a milkshake. I'd up the pb portion so you can taste it more and I'd bet it would be a huge hit!

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#13 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 03:56 PM

I agree with some of the others who said to add peanut butter to other things. Also maybe try other nut butters like almond butter. It is good to spread on something like a banana or apple so that the snack is glycemically balanced: one protein to one carb. He is also getting other nutrients this way. It also might be helpful to find out what it is he likes about pb. Is it the texture? If so, he might like other spreads like the pp that suggested hummus or smoothies. Anything kind of gooey and spreadable or liquidy. If it is the taste he likes then I think that you should definitely try mixing it with other foods. We like mixing almond butter with applesauce. It is really tasty and has the consistency that he would like.
#14 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

I should have clarified it's actually almond and peanut he eats, and I used to give it to him on other things but now he wants it alone in a plate. But maybe the mixing might work... I will try that
#15 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 04:23 PM

Hi There,

I am currently getting my BA in Nutrition and Foods, I will graduate in December. I applaud you for not limiting your child with food, IMO, many food issues start from making food a big deal. Anyway, I agree with others to just let him have as much as he wants with the PB but I would also offer other foods with it. I am making the assumption that meals are a sit down at the high chair/table type of thing. I would just fix him a plate that has the glob of PB but also selections of fruits, veggies and protien. I wouldn't suggest that he eat the other things, just have them there and let him choose. Hope this helps.

Jenna

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#16 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 PM

When my dd learned the sign for ice cream at 9 months, she was asking for it morning, noon and night. But she only wanted a small taste. Then she stopped asking for it for a long time. She started asking for it again. I don't mind giving it to her, she self-moderates both within each day and over time. She also loves lots of other foods. I do have some junk around the house and most of the time she's not interested or will take one bite and then ask for an apple or banana.

I think my mom making a huge deal out of anything sweet turned me into a candy junkie. To this day I have trouble stopping even when I don't want any more. I've gotten a lot better over the last few years by just over-indulging to the point of making myself sick (I call it candy belly - oh, it hurts!) and now I usually know I don't want to go there so I stop. My dh never had his parents deny him (they would ask him to wait if a treat wasn't immediately available) but he never, ever desires too much junk and enjoys almost all foods and textures.

I think it's pretty normal for children to have a temporary favorite. No need to deny them.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#17 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, driving him to eat more sweets because I'm trying to limit them too much. He's quite obsessive about things though... if I don't put a limit on things when we go to people's house, I haven't actually seen him stop himself on his own. It's so hard when you're surrounded by people who think unlimited sweets are actually good for kids because they give energy... sigh.
But I think I'm going to try to trust him a little more. I do feel like part of the reason he wants these things more is because he senses how uncomfortable it makes me. I was a total junk food junkie and I just don't want him to end up being like that.
Oh and I really should try that smoothie... sounds yummie!
#18 of 22 Old 10-19-2007, 12:07 AM

could you somehow convince the other mothers to bring healthy foods? were stumbling across the same problem but with juice, all she wants now is a juice box! i always dilute the juice. so now she only gets juice when we are at the play groups.
#19 of 22 Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 AM

try different nut butters---in different contexts than PB&J (did you say that? I dunno...thats our default use for PB. )

Nut butters are really healthy.

I dont know how scared you need to be of peanut allergy. I know some are really really concerned about it....but I had to let go of my fear of PB Allergy. It was driving me insane. (I cant be afraid of EVERYTHING, kwim?)
#20 of 22 Old 10-20-2007, 12:58 AM

I was going to suggest giving him sliced apples or celery with it to dip into thet PB, but someone beat me to it! DS also loves PB, and ate 2 apples today dipped into it. As for sweets at other people's houses, let him have some, but just a small portion, then if he is still hungry, he can have the healthy snack you bring.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#21 of 22 Old 10-20-2007, 03:12 AM

OT, but at least your kid doesn't eat margarine by the spoonful! yuck!

Maybe try encouraging your son to try peanut butter and something else? I know a pp suggested celery, which sounds like a great idea. You could try eating this yourself so that he can follow your example.
#22 of 22 Old 10-20-2007, 09:24 PM

i used to buy the old "only offer them healthy food and that's all they'll choose", but my 4 year old went on a PB kick--and that was 3 YEARS ago!! he has only had PBJ, pink yogurt, and pancakes, for 3 years!!! we've tried all the advice here, but we had to let it go. we just sock those pancakes FULL of all kinds of stuff, zuccini, flax, bananas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page