Whats wrong with "no!"? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 125 Old 11-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
ITA. I am totally with you on this issue (and apparently on a few others). And I am very AP, and I consider myself GD also (although I do say no and everything is not a consensus based decision). I am a loving, respectful parent, and I also do not coddle my child or walk on eggshells lest I destroy her fragile psyche.

If you wanna say no, dude! Say no. They will live on and they will also have far more important things to talk about in therapy than 'my mother said no instead of finding creative sing song alternatives whenever I screwed up.'

eta - I also wonder about the real lives of folks who can be so rude to other mamas on the subject of how important it is to be nice to children.
I agree with you completely.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#122 of 125 Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
I also wonder about the real lives of folks who can be so rude to other mamas on the subject of how important it is to be nice to children.
IMO, the "GD" mamas on this thread have been nothing but respectful in the face of bashing, dismissal, and the implication that their children could not POSSIBLY be well-behaved because they try to be kind, respectful, and postivie.
#123 of 125 Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
Most likely applauding the part I quoted, hmmm?
It appeared to me that you quoted the whole original post, which posed a question to people who avoid the word no. So I didn't understand what you were applauding. It appears by your response that you are simply trying to start a fight.

I have no interest in fighting, so I will leave you to your posting.
#124 of 125 Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 PM

From the article "Yes Days" on Jan Hunt's Natural Child Project website:

Quote:
We find ourselves running into power struggles and negative interactions in order to get to the places we feel we should be. Professor Charles Smith of Kansas State University says, "Although saying 'no' tells children what not to do, only by being affirmative do we actually teach them the skills that will be important to them throughout their lives."
Quote:
Saying yes and affirming our children as human beings is a gift to everyone involved. So go ahead, say yes to your kids. As we learn to say yes to each other and to the ebb and flow of the world, yes days are in fact training for us to live yes lives. And perhaps our yes lives will inspire our children to create a yes world.
#125 of 125 Old 11-15-2007, 06:50 PM

Thread closed for moderator review. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please PM a moderator if there are any questions, concerns or comments. Thanks

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page