2 year old- Looking for discipline book recs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2003, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 2 and we have entered a whole new phase of tantrums here. I am looking for books that specifically deal with young toddlers.
I have Dr Sears and also How to talk so your kids will listen.
What are your other favorites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2003, 05:34 AM

bumping this up cause id love some too!!
Old 08-28-2003, 11:05 AM

"Kids are Worth It" by Barbara Coloroso

"Kids, Parent, and Power Struggles"

"Kid Cooperation"
Old 08-29-2003, 01:35 AM

I'm just finishing Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles and loving it. Playful Parenting is next on my list! I find How to Talk... really helpful too. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2003, 02:16 AM

I love the books mentioned above for general parenting philosophy, but find the specific techniques that they suggested a little harder to use with my almost 3-year-old. However, you can derive some valuable information on altering your approach to situations and your expectations - which, IMO, is the most important aspect of loving a 2-year-old.

For more practical stuff, I really found Positive Discipline to be helpful (and it also helps with your perspective). Also, Becoming the Parent You Want to Be is fantastic.

It's funny, you know - I spent most of my ds' toddlerhood looking for books that would tell me how to respectfully manage my ds' behavior in very practical, "how-to" terms. There is a serious lack of such books and I now know why. It's because what generally needs managing is one's own reactions and approaches to the behavior - once we manage ourselves rather than our children, the rest (usually) sorts itself out.

Don't know if that's relevant... just thinking out loud .
Old 08-29-2003, 02:25 AM

My favorite parenting book for young kids was "Parenting Young Children" by Don Dinkmeyer. The book is written in a concise, easy to read way and is a pretty quick read. I love his books and philosophy, very into respectful communication. His "method" is also known as the STEP program, some may know him that way, stands for "systematic training for effective parenting". He's got good parenting books for older kids as well. (I need to find some of those!).

I just realized that I really don't need my copy anymore as my kids are older so I'm happy to pass it on if any of you are interested. PM me if so.

Alison
Old 08-29-2003, 03:33 AM

I have to put in a plug for "Playful Parenting" by Larry Cohen. Most of the examples he gives are for older kids...BUT...I was always able to implement the majority of his suggestions with my toddlers to a great deal of success--and it's a good book to get you "into the mindset".

Plus, Larry is pretty funny, and it's nice to see a parenting book take finding the humor in things seriously. ;>
Old 08-29-2003, 10:44 AM

I know it's very prejudiced of me - - but I pretty much stick to parenting books written by women....
Old 08-29-2003, 11:34 AM

Old 09-01-2003, 06:49 PM

Not a discipline book per-se, but I got many insights out of:

The Emotional Life of The Toddler by Alicia Lieberman
Old 09-03-2003, 10:08 PM

"Positive Discipline" by Jane Nelson

"This book is the classic for parents and teachers who are looking for non-punitive, respectful, kind and firm methods for interacting with children. Positive Discipline gets to the core of why children misbehave and how to encourage cooperative behavior. It teaches discipline methods that are respectful, effective long-term, and instill in children valuable like skills for good character."

Also:

"Positive Time-Out: And Over 50 Ways to Avoid Power Struggles"
"Positive Discipline A-Z"

-Kirina
Old 09-04-2003, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamaduck
I know it's very prejudiced of me - - but I pretty much stick to parenting books written by women....
Wow, that's too bad...but totally your choice. I've always found it interesting to listen to daddies too. This comes from noticing subtle differences between how my husband (we're both stay at home parents) and I handle discipline issues, for me.

There are two women who have written two other books with Larry, both have elements of "Playful Parenting" in them (they're for older kids though). Come to think of it, "Best Friends, Worst Enemies" is about childhood friendships, and that's how I got interested in "Playful Parenting". Though BFWE is primarily about grade-school friendships, I'm glad I read it just as Fia is starting to look for connections with other kids--that way I can already start to put into practice things that will help shape her ability to weather (and create) friendships...as well as knowing when to butt out of it myself.

User Tag List