Mothering Forum banner

What do when DH doesn't agree wtih me on GD...

557 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TerraNoelle 
#1 ·
For the most part my DH has given into my AP style but some things he just doesn't want to budge....
For example we are going through this thing now where DH wants to tap DS hand for getting into something....
I do not like this at all and won't do it...and am always talking to him about it and the negative effects that it can have...
No we are all human and parents and we get frustrated...and sometimes we want to take the easy way out...but to me the long term consequences are never worth it!

For the most part too whatever we don't want him to have we have put up....It's manly the DVDs [because we have like 300!] that he gets into and it's not really an issue for me...he loves to push them around on the floor...now he's learned to open the cases and he loves to pop the DVD's out and lick them!! LOL...DH sometimes will tap his hand and I get mad and say look, put them up if you don't want him touching them...
He's only a year old and just curious....he has no idea that he can scratch them or anything...

I think I am going to put them up high just to avoid this fight...

But DH is more pro-spanking and I am NOT AT ALL because I do feel it is hitting as well!!!

I will say that DH is good about for the most part!! ...honoring my wishes...
I guess really a part of me wants him to really understand WHY it's not good to do it...

And we both come from the back ground were we were spanked....and he has the attitude..."WE'll I'm fine"...
And I HATE that because to me, just because one person is fine does not mean that it will not completely destroy our own son's self esteem...

I'm rambling...

Anyway, does anyone else have issues with DH/SO/DP not having the same parenting views?
I did have a friend give me a good tip...she said tell him "Look I spend the majority of the time with DS since I'm the SAHP so we need to be on teh same page and since I'm doing the majority of the discipline then we are doing it my way!!" LOL...gotta admit ... I love this!!!!

Oh and DH is not for reading anything at all...although I think I will print off an article or two that are short but to the point...maybe this will help!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
My Dh is not AP at all but he supports me because like you said, I'm with my boys all the time and he isn't. I know what works better for us more then he does just because of that time together so I decide our discipline. But Dh does have his say in how we do things. Sometimes his way is better then mine but I do draw the line at hitting/spanking.

At 1 it's mainly about childproofing. If you don't want it touched, put it up, put it away, get it out of sight.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPearls View Post
My Dh is not AP at all but he supports me because like you said, I'm with my boys all the time and he isn't. I know what works better for us more then he does just because of that time together so I decide our discipline. But Dh does have his say in how we do things. Sometimes his way is better then mine but I do draw the line at hitting/spanking.

At 1 it's mainly about childproofing. If you don't want it touched, put it up, put it away, get it out of sight.

shew, good to know I'm not alone!!
Yeah....I agree...I've put everything up that I don't want him to touch...everything else is free reign!!

I'm actually suprised that DH has grown used to some of the stuff as much as he has!! He's just resigned himself to knowing that we'll be co sleeping for quite awhile!! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.