I know it's a lie...but I need my time too! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 66 Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a chuckle out of this! I don't think it is 100% the best tactic, but to me it isn't so bad either.

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 66 Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 PM

When I was little (under 5) my dad lost his temper with me and told me that he was taking me to THE BAD LITTLE GIRLS HOME and then he loaded me into the car and drove me around the neighborhood to some house where there actually were little girls in the yard (lucky for him) and at that point I promised to be good.

It's actually one of our favorite stories, I think it was pretty ingenious of him, and it didn't scar me for life.

I haven't had one of those days yet, but I'm sure I'll have my moment at some point.
#63 of 66 Old 01-15-2008, 11:05 PM

I read about your walk. DEFINITELY DO IT AGAIN! I have not done a walk or yoga since babys birth 9 mos ago. You are a huge motivation. Thank You!
#64 of 66 Old 01-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
Way, back before I was a parent.....

A much older friend who had teenage DS and school age DD heard me telling my cat "There isn't any more ice cream, Pippin!"

"Hey! No lying to animals!" he told me.

"What? They're animals! He can't eat ice cream, he projectile vomits all over!"

"No lying to animals or children! It's my rule." And he had some kind of reason which wasn't really a GD reason but fit with his personal philosophy, and somehow, even though it was a joke at first, we adopted this. "I"m sorry, Pippin, ice cream will make you barf." I would say.

Anyway, now that I have kids, I really, really appreciate both the semi-joking advice and the practice I got on the cats before the kids were born. Because I might stink at a lot of this parenting stuff and have any number of bad days - but when the chips are down, my kids know I will not lie to them. so I can say "Honey, the doctor has to put in another stitch to stop it bleeding, and it is going to hurt, but then it will be over." and DS will trust me. He might not listen during normal times all that well every single day - but in an emergency situation the kids both have shown that they know that I mean what I say and won't betray that.

I know that sounds all serious as a response to pretending there's a police officer at the door - but they won't be toddlers forever...
:
Now, having time-outs as a self regulated thing that anyone can do to chill out and calm down has got to be one of my mom's cleverest ideas. She could give herself time outs whenever and like grab a 10 minute nap or something.
#65 of 66 Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm1024 View Post
Hey...none of us are perfect...

I used to spank, and like another poster, have lied about there not being sprite or someother sugary treat in order to avoid a meltdown.

I've loaded my kids in the car, put on a movie that I know they will love, gotten a latte and took a drive in the country just to have a moment of peace and sereneity.

Mothering is a great job, but there are moments when it leaves all of us tapped out, tired etc. Sometimes we do things that aren't the BEST choice, but those are the expirinces that where lessons can be learned. It's about doing better next time and growing as a parent when presented with the challenges that parenting provides.

couldn't have said it better meself!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#66 of 66 Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Mary Poppins did just the same thing ("Now be quiet or I shall have to summon a policeman"). And look what happened to her! She blew away over the rooftops. Do you want that to happen to you???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's babies View Post
Really, I feel so bad. I am sorry I did this.My husband didn't agree when he heard what I did either. I plead guilty on all counts. When I posted what i did I was already tired and needed to veg a bit.

If it's any consolation. They know policemen are good men (hopefully all of them are!) When we see a policeman we go and talk to them and we have friends that are policemen. I told my 3 yr old that it really didn't happen yesterday and that mommy lied, that I was just tired.

So thank you all for your recommendations and your empathy. Sometimes we do stupid things when we are tired (and sometimes not so tired) and need friends to "wake us up".
I'm sorry you had a hard night, mama. Good for you for listening instead of getting defensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
You know.. I wish the police officer could be the "good guy" but unfortunately at my house he's not. He's the guy that comes and pounds on the door when the downstairs neighbors want to be an ass and say my kids are making too much noise. So ya.. if you tell my 4 year old to be more quiet she says, "Or the policeman will come and put me in jail?" and sadly its the truth. Thats what he says when he comes.

Can't exactly foster trust with that..
He'll take your 4 yo to jail? : I'm sorry about the harassment.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page