Hair cuts from you know where - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will take any advice I can get on giving my ds haircuts. We give ds and dh haircuts at home to save money and they are AWFUL (well, dh behaves himself ). I'm not trying a fancy cut, I just want to buzz it all one length. It looks awful when it grows out - coarse and cursed with cowlicks. Ds (4 yo) will not cooperate AT ALL. As in, he will not even sit down when he sees the stuff come out. How do I redirect in a positive manner? So far, NOTHING has worked and it ends up being a huge tantrum (from me too ).
#2 of 20 Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 PM

have you thought of maybe just letting him grow his hair. he obviously doesnt like hair cuts maybe he would like longer hair

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#3 of 20 Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 PM

maybe try getting him interested in a movie or tv show while you work on it and offer a bribe (like ice cream!) when he's done?
#4 of 20 Old 03-13-2008, 11:16 PM

I was gonna say the same thing. My S, 2.5, decided he hated haircuts last year so we've been letting it grow. It looks so cute right now! And he still looks totally boyish.
#5 of 20 Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 PM

My Ds is 23 months but I give him a treat that keeps him busy (like sherbert or ice cream) and then I cut as fast as I can. Maybe you could try something like this frozen yogurt might also work if you are worried about the sugar factor.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#6 of 20 Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 PM

I have to cut my DC hair in the bathtub. it's the only way. (and i cut hair for many years professionally!)

have you tried taking him to a barber? they can do a kids cut quickly and it's generally cheap.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#7 of 20 Old 03-14-2008, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just popping in... Saw this thread on the main board.
Yup! I used to give one of my 2yr old charges (when I was a nanny) a haircut while she was watching Sesame Street on tv. Worked like a charm. (It's time for a haircut. You sit here and watch Sesame while I cut and then when the show's over & I'm done we'll go to the park!) Or it could've been that is was me doing it and not mom or dad...? Cuz I did end up doing it the most out of the 3 of us hmmmm lol. 2 thoughts just came to me... 1-do you trust DH to cut the hair? Maybe they could have guy bonding time? 2-Do you have a good friend or relative you trust that would do it and maybe DS wouldn't fuss b/c it'd be different and fun w/someone else?
Good Luck!
Chelsie

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#8 of 20 Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 AM

Does he hate the noise of the clippers? Could you try just using scissors?

My dd hates to have her hair brushed, I try bribing her and doing it while she's distracted, or in the tub. That would probably be kind of dangerous if you're clipping it, but maybe you could cut it with scissors in the tub?

Mommy to kids

#9 of 20 Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 AM

I have the exact same issue. We've tried everything at this point-EVERYTHING. He wont let us wash his hair or cut it. Its thick and gets wavy and I'm scared hes going to grow a mullet

homeschool.gif mama to DS6modifiedartist.gif and DD1fly-by-nursing1.gif
#10 of 20 Old 03-14-2008, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

I have no problem with bribery or sugar if it works! But we did try that in the past (an entire Hershey's bar that he could hold while I cut the hair among other things) and he still couldn't keep to together, then I either had to reward him for the bad behavior during the haircut or yikes take away that precious treat! However, we haven't done that in a few months, so maybe I'll try again. Ice cream might be a good one to try with him. The one thing that he screams about is that we are going to cut off his ears. I have shown him and shown him that the clippers won't cut skin, but no help there. DH did cut it last night because I left for a walk when I thought I wasn't going to be able to keep it together. It's okay (the sideburns could have used a little help). I'd actually love for him to be able to grow it out, but it just doesn't look good. I don't know who this child gets his hair from! Thanks for the advice, mamas.
#11 of 20 Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe give him a little control - let him choose if he wants his hair cut before supper or after, for example.

Let him hold the clipper and run it on his leg or arm, to see that it can't cut skin.

Maybe put masking tape on his ears so he feels like they're protected?

Let him "help" you cut his Dad's hair.

Maybe break up the haircut into 2 sessions, with an hour in between.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#12 of 20 Old 03-15-2008, 02:05 PM

I let them cut their hair first. <shrug> It's hair, it'll grow back. If they don't like their own efforts, they're more willing to sit while I do a correction. We've also experimented with different hairstyles during a cut - mohawks, reverse mohawks, cutting one half off......they love to see the changes it goes through.

I say find out exactly what the problem is and go from there.
#13 of 20 Old 03-15-2008, 02:59 PM

I bet he looks good no matter what. He's four, after all.

Also, they have this place in Reno, maybe there's one like that where you live?

http://www.snipits.com/

I've never been, but I have friends who have and swear their kids love it.

Mommy to kids

#14 of 20 Old 03-15-2008, 05:58 PM

We go to a place at the mall. They let the kids pick out a movie and turn it on for the haircut, then they give them a small basket of toys to keep their hands busy during the cut. I don't know why you couldn't do the same things at home. These are not expensive toys, but they are different from the normal toys my kids play with. Also maybe the noise from the clippers bothers him?
#15 of 20 Old 03-15-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
I have no problem with bribery or sugar if it works! But we did try that in the past (an entire Hershey's bar that he could hold while I cut the hair among other things) and he still couldn't keep to together, then I either had to reward him for the bad behavior during the haircut or yikes take away that precious treat!
Stop thinking about it as a bribe or reward. You're compensating him for having to do something he doesn't want to do. "Honey, I know you hate to have your hair cut. Maybe it will be easier if you have this chocolate bar to hang onto during the cut, and afterward you can eat the WHOLE THING!" Then you can make the point that it will go faster (and he will get to eat sooner) if he can hold still. (Also make the point that he can't eat it *during* the cut because then it might get hair on it, and would taste icky.)

Quote:
The one thing that he screams about is that we are going to cut off his ears. I have shown him and shown him that the clippers won't cut skin, but no help there.
He's not going to get over this fear until he's ready. Talk with him about it. Acknowledge that you know it's a real fear. Ask where this fear comes from; has he ever seen something like that? Try to get him to laugh about it... wouldn't he look funny without ears? No wonder he's afraid... he'd be the earless kid! Everyone would laugh! Reassure him that *you* don't want his ears cut off, and would never do anything that you thought could result in that. Make it clear his ears are just as important to you as to him.

Quote:
I'd actually love for him to be able to grow it out, but it just doesn't look good.
He's four. ;-) Who cares? Is he a child actor? Model? Right now, it's irrelevant to him and to his peers what his hair looks like. In a few years (when it will also be harder to "make" him get his hair cut) it will matter a lot more. Let him resist it now, so it's easier to insist later.

If you let it grow to the point it's getting in his eyes, he may ask for you to cut it!
#16 of 20 Old 03-15-2008, 10:40 PM

Ds still has a problem with haircuts and he's almost 7. For us I mention it for a few days or a week or so- Hey your hair is getting long it's going to be time to cut it soon. Hey this weekend we are going to cut it, do you want to do it Saturday or Sunday?

We then put on a movie, I only use scissors, the trimmer is to much for him. I also get out the hair dryer, he really doesn't like any loose hair falling on him, so we blow the hair off often. I do a quick overall cut, and then after a few hours I fix up the rough spots.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#17 of 20 Old 03-15-2008, 10:53 PM

My ds would not sit still for a haircut( by me) till he was about 9, he had his hair pretty long till then lol and he really suited it, now he wants it a bit shorter but it's still pretty long, he is definately not a crew cut person, if I can get his fringe done I'm happy but only if he wants it done and he usually asks me now.
#18 of 20 Old 03-21-2008, 05:34 PM

I suggest a box of Munchkins. Totally unhealthy, but they work every time!
#19 of 20 Old 03-21-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Ds (4 yo) will not cooperate AT ALL. As in, he will not even sit down when he sees the stuff come out.
Is seeing the hair fall what's bothering him? We have awesome clippers that "vacuum" up the hair into a little compartment. It's the Remington Vacuum Trim.

That being said, haircutting is often a struggle, so I cut it at home sometimes, and other times we go to Snip-its. The $20 is worth not having a power struggle for me.

=================
Mama to DS 5/03 & DD 2/06 (HBAC!)
: ICAN “You never know when you're making a memory.” ~ Rickie Lee Jones
#20 of 20 Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM

My sons hair grows really fast so I trim it every 2 weeks or so. I always do it in the bathtub. He is usually so distracted by playing in the water stream and with his bath toys that he doesn't notice that I'm cutting.

Were you needing techniques for cutting? Or just help getting them to sit still? My mom is a hairdresser and fortunately I have watched her cut enough hair to have picked up some techniques. Its pretty easy to give a good haircut if you do it the right way. No buzzers involved!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page