Tween question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an almost 9 year old daughter who seems to be going on 30!! See has her nose into every adult conversation she can hear. It is driving me and my hubby crazy. I have not had a conversation with him or anyone for that matter in months without her having to either put her two cents in or her domination the conversation.

I need advise on how to handle this. It is getting to the point that my reaction is to yell at her and of course it doesn't help and I feel like a big heel if I give into my knee jerk reaction. I would just sometimes like to talk to an adult without her input.

She also seems to think that she has the right to an opinion on anything that happens in the house. Now I agree she may have an opinion and I even give her ideas weight in making decisions most of the time, but how do I get her to understand that sometimes her Dad and I are going to do things that DO NOT require her input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like she needs to be heard. Are there some times that she can have equal quality conversation time with you and her dad? Maybe dinner time? I know my third grader has been doing a lot of whole class dialogue and debates. There are some very intense kids in her class and sometimes she doesn't feel heard. So at the dinner table we have round two but in an environment she feels secure in. Maybe your dd feels secure in adult conversation as adults can sometimes be more polite.

User Tag List