saying "yes, ma'am" - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
i just saw this thread because it's on top....my ds ins't talking yet, but I definitely plan to have him say yes maam/yes sir. It deosn't have to be every single time, but I feel like it IS a respect thing. He is a child...if his grandma or auntie or other older person asks him to do something, "yes maam" is the respectful way to answer. Likewise, if a person older than ME asks ME to do something, I wouldn't think of answering any other way. It is very important to me that younger generations show respect ofr older generations. I will (and have) called out people for cutting me in line, walking slowly down the street and taking up the whole sidewalk, etc., but you will NEVER see me rush an elderly person or argue back with them .That is just my value system. I don't see what's wrong with that. It's not degrading....they have lived longer and earned the right to be shown respect.

I completely agree. Great post! Like I said, I would be very, very uncomfortable not calling my elderly patients "m'am" and "sir". And this has just kind of carried over to the way I address the elderly in the community. As far as it being "disgusting", that's plain nutty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My perception of yes, ma'am and yes, sir, is that its use is regional. I grew up in the Northeast, and never heard it. Here in FL, I hear it all the time and it makes me cringe, especially when I am the one being called ma'am, but that's my own hangup. I can appreciate that it is an important part of some families' value systems and cultural conditioning.

User Tag List