Gently changing nap routine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been a bad mamma! I got my son used to falling asleep for his nap in the car. This started (or got worse!) when I was pregnant. I had been using the Ergo to put him to sleep but my back couldn't handle it anymore so the car was the next best thing. Now I can't afford to waste the gas... who can?!... and I need a new method. We've been skipping his naps on some days because he seems to be okay all day but after a few days, it catches up and he starts being a monster and we are having to discipline a lot more because of his behavior.... even though I know it's just him getting tired. I have tried talking to him about naps... I have tried rocking him to sleep... Today i did do the Ergo but he's over 30lbs now and even though I had my new baby and i'm not preg anymore, it's still a lot of my back. Over the weekend DH spent almost two full hours trying to get our son to take a nap. I finally told him to stop because his nap usually only lasts 1.5-2hours so by this time, he would be bumping into bedtime if he actually fell asleep.

I need some suggestions on getting him down without all the screaming and fuss. If you have some suggestions, please shoot them my way. I'm pretty open to any ideas at this point! TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 AM

Have you read The No Cry Sleep Solution? It has some good info.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:59 AM

Have you tried quiet time? We have a rule that DD has to stay in her room for quiet time, she doesn't have to sleep. She gets a break and sometimes she even takes a nap. She's allowed to play in her room or look at books, but she can't come out and get more toys, so her selection is somewhat limited. Of course, I don't want it to be too interesting in there since I'd rather she slept. She doesn't typically play in her room, so it's not like she's playing in there all day and then I require her to spend additional time for quiet time.

User Tag List