Forum Jump: 

#181 of 186 Old 01-20-2010, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugz View Post
Yay, I love new book deliveries!

This is our week on cleanliness, which seems pretty straightforward. Last week was caring, which was also an easy one for us to find examples of. One new thing I'm working on... we check out a dozen or so board/picture books every week at the library, and as I read them I'm making a list of the books and any key virtues that are addressed. I think this will be a helpful resource for me to draw from as I'm going through the weeks... and I love books (and lists, lol) so it's fun for me. Then I can just go back to the library and get those books when there's a new virtue to work on.

If anyone has suggestions of good books showing a particular virtue, I'd love to add it to my list!
What a great idea! I love books and lists too I don't have any book suggestions right now but I would love to start compiling some names. I've thought of doing that with Bible stories that highlight certain virtues too (but haven't got so far as to actually start a list!)

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#182 of 186 Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 AM

I just picked up a copy of The Family Virtues Guide. We are planning on a 52 week journey thru the book together as a family. A random number generator selected the virtue of cleanliness as our first virtue. Something we are all struggling with lately. This looks like it will be an interesting journey.  

#183 of 186 Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM

So glad to see this has been bumped! Any of the old moms still around? How is everyone doing? 

We need to start up with this again. Desperately. 

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#184 of 186 Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 PM

I'm a new one to this, but I really like the idea.  I really like being able to give my kids concrete things that all people should do.  I really dislike the lists of dos and donts we all get caught up in, and would much rather focus on principle. 

So, I don't have much free time, but I'm reading, and would love to hear other's experiences, real life suggestions, and anything else. :)

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#185 of 186 Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 AM

We've been doing virtues with DS basically since he was a baby. He's almost 4, and it's fun to see him grasp and understand these big words we talk about with him: respect, responsibility, courtesy, consideration, etc. DH is a youth pastor and is totally on board with using the virtues in his ministry. He even brought in a certified speaker for a one day parenting conference at our church...really cool!

The thing I struggle with is I feel like sometimes I use virtues as an ultimatum: "You need to choose (respect, courtesy, etc.) or else you'll go to your room or get a toy taken away." I feel like it should be more about him understanding and choosing the virtues of his own free will...our job is just to teach him what they are and why they're good and that they're inside everybody. It's just hard to put into practice with a preschooler!

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#186 of 186 Old 05-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Instead of making it an ultimatum-you could phrase it when he is acting in a way that is inappropriate as a question: which virtue do you think would be helpful now for you to use?  If there is no response-I would list a few-and ask if any of those would help in that situation.  That used to really help my daughter when she was that age.  Now she is 6.5 and I am grasping at straws...I need to get back to using virtues in our everyday language again-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page