Spanking in schools, why is this still allowed? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yet another reason why I'm not considering the US a safe place for my children to grow up.
#62 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 10:02 AM

There is a big difference between saying "my kid was paddled and punished and I think it is great" and saying "while not in my care my child was paddled and punished, and then she didn't repeat the offending behavior." The second is just a statement of fact. An observation. Not endorsement of anything.

I think some of you came down way too hard on that poster.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#63 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 AM

My first year of teaching, I (naively) signed a contract with a district that allowed this. When I found out, I was horrified. I had little support from staff members and parents for my beliefs, which was hard as a first year teacher. But-I was able to bond with my students so well and I really earned their trust.

As a teacher, I am a firm believer that school MUST be a safe place-no matter what. How can we show children that school is a safe place if this is allowed? We can't.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#64 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
There is a big difference between saying "my kid was paddled and punished and I think it is great" and saying "while not in my care my child was paddled and punished, and then she didn't repeat the offending behavior." The second is just a statement of fact. An observation. Not endorsement of anything.

I think some of you came down way too hard on that poster.
It's pretty hard to tell someone's intent online. It didn't seem like an observation to me. It seemed like, "hey look, paddling worked." If that's not an endorsement, what is? Why even mention that it worked unless you are ok with it? In fact, many women have stated that spanking works temporarily, but that's only because the child becomes too afraid to act up. Not a good thing. So even the fact that it "worked" doesn't excuse the act. There are other, better ways, to improve behavior.

Someone who truly isn't ok with it would have been like "my school paddled my child once and I was horrified." They would have felt horrified no matter what the result. Most of the people that I've seen here (including myself) think any kind of spanking is outright abuse.
#65 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 12:36 PM

I am in Ohio where paddling is legal in schools, but the district i teach in (4th largest in the state, very low socio-economic district) it is banned. for those of you in states where it is still legal check with your local district to see what their policy is as many individual districts have banned corporal punishment despite what is "allowed" by the state
#66 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 PM

I find this and all the other horrific stories absolutely abhorrent - I cannot understand it, however, I used to go in and sing in my dd's pre-school class (we're in france - so things are different) but anyway after the teacher, assistant and helper for the autistic boy got used to me I saw things no parent should ever see, the worst was when the autistic boy was having a difficult moment and they locked him in a cupboard with no light and let him kick and scream - he had to learn, they said, very proud of their 'technique', I told them that if anyone did that in my country they would loose their jobs, I informed the director and the parents, I gave them information on a 'congres' which they could go to and be informed as to how to teach, anyway the little boy didn't come back this year - needless to say really. What surprised me the most was that my dd's teacher had just commented a few weeks earlier so say how impressed she was with dd when this little boy had the same difficult period during the day and dd sat with him and spoke to him and reassured him saying that she understood and managed to calm him down completely in fact it moved the teacher to tears, so why couldn't she take that on? Anyway I went completely OT there - I apologise, anyway I am appalled that this is still going on and will fight corporal punishment tooth and nail.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#67 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son went to a small private school the last two years. There was a discipline statement that specifically said spanking would not occur. Imagine my surprise when I had to sign a form opting out of spanking when we made the switch to public school this year! I was really upset. The form specifically stated that most parents in the school district preferred spanking to suspension. a) they see nothing wrong with it and b) suspension means they have to go to the trouble to take off work or find alternate child care for their child.

Unfortunately, I live in one of the states that hit over 20000 children last school year.
#68 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 04:05 PM

Now I am wondering if they schools are allowed to spank in Canada since I am Canadian...I cant seem to have any info on it. I am definitely NOT ok with schools doing that......

I know when I was about 6 being hit on the hand with a ruler but that was years ago...how many I will not say......
#69 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 04:16 PM

According to the Natural Child Project....spanking is also allowable in Canada. I am speechless. This is simply disgusting. If my child were EVER to be hit at school I honestly do not know what I would do. All this two days before her first day of school. SHIT

Section 43 of the Criminal Code of Canada
Protection of Persons in Authority, Correction of Child by Force:

"Every schoolteacher, parent or person standing In the place of a parent is justified in using force by way of correction toward a pupil or child, as the case may be, who is under his care, if the force does not exceed what is reasonable under the circumstances. R.S.C., 1985, C-46. "

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#70 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 05:16 PM

Wasn't this recently changed, removing this "right"?

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#71 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Corporal punishment is banned in 106 countries including Canada, where it was outlawed in 2004.
From that Globe & Mail article.
#72 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'leo View Post
From that Globe & Mail article.
Which Globe and Mail article?
#73 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 06:03 PM

#74 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 06:42 PM

In January 2004, the Supreme Court of Canada decided that:

* schoolteachers may no longer use section 43 to justify physical punishment
* parents and persons acting in the place of parents may use physical punishment, but subject to the following conditions:
o the child is between 2 and 12 years of age,
o the child is capable of learning from the punishment,
o the force is minor and of a transitory and trifling nature,
o the punishment does not involve objects or blows or slaps to the head,
o the force is not degrading, inhuman or harmful, and
o the punishment is not the result of the caregiver's "frustration, loss of temper or abusive personality."
o The Supreme Court also ruled that the seriousness of the child's misbehaviour is not relevant in judging the "reasonableness" of the force used.

So yes, there is no spanking in schools in Canada

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#75 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
In January 2004, the Supreme Court of Canada decided that:

* schoolteachers may no longer use section 43 to justify physical punishment
* parents and persons acting in the place of parents may use physical punishment, but subject to the following conditions:
o the child is between 2 and 12 years of age,
o the child is capable of learning from the punishment,
o the force is minor and of a transitory and trifling nature,
o the punishment does not involve objects or blows or slaps to the head,
o the force is not degrading, inhuman or harmful, and
o the punishment is not the result of the caregiver's "frustration, loss of temper or abusive personality."
o The Supreme Court also ruled that the seriousness of the child's misbehaviour is not relevant in judging the "reasonableness" of the force used.

So yes, there is no spanking in schools in Canada
Man, they always seem to get ahead of us on stuff. Darn right-thinking Canadians with their non-child-abusing school districts, trying to make the US look bad again...

Yeah I'm going to homeschool someday. Not because of this per se, but then you never do know how other people are treating your kids.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#76 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin'leo View Post
Thanks
#77 of 83 Old 08-31-2008, 09:48 PM

Oh that is wonderful news...I was pretty upset when I read that on NCP earlier
: for Canada!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#78 of 83 Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM

I was having a first look around the gentle discipline forum when I came across this. This is a subject that really makes me mad - my dh and I are raising his 13 year old nephew. He had been living with his mother in one of the states where corporal punishment is 'frequently' used. I don't know exactly how many times he was paddled, but it happened 'several' times. This is a kid who came from a house with a mother and stepfather who couldn't think of anything else to do with him but spank him either (and with a belt if sf felt like it).

The first time I heard that nephew had been paddled at school, the kid was no more than 7, I was horrified that it still happened at all. I had no idea. I feel like the school completely failed him and his needs. Everyone around him, everyone he should have been able to trust and feel safe with, just whacked him. Over the years dh couldn't stand it but he really didn't know what he could do about it because, for some obscene reason, it was perfectly legal in the eyes of the law (and perfectly deserved according to his mother and stepfather), he told nephew that if anyone ever left any marks or bruises that he should tell him and dh planned to raise he!!. That never happened (or nephew never told him anyway).

Nephew was never much of an innocent in all of this, he was paddled for things like climbing on the school roof, leaving the classroom through the window in the middle of class, breaking a ceiling fan, throwing things at teachers etc.... So he is a child with behavoral issues (maybe because no-one stopped to discipline him in between smacking him around???). But how was hitting him with a piece of wood ever going to teach him anything? Except for hate for the principals and for school itself.

Through a series of events recently he is now in our house (dh has been wanting to take him in for a long long time) and we're trying to pick up the pieces. He is a really really tough kid to parent and very challenging to us. Another thing that is tough is getting him to understand that he is safe with us, that we're not going to hit him when he misbehaves, and that his school isn't either. I think that he is a child who has been terribly let down by those who were meant to protect and teach him.

It really needs to be taken out of schools.

(Sorry, I didn't mean to write so much! If you made it this far through, congratulations!)
#79 of 83 Old 10-08-2008, 12:33 AM

Hi. Came across this while doing a search on Texas and spanking. I just started a group on facebook for Texans against spanking. I am in the research process right now and trying to gather articles on why I"m against spanking. PM me if you want the link to join!
#80 of 83 Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Several mamas, including myself, recently left a local Texas listserv over this issue. One mama out of several hundred was all in favor of spanking in schools and I could not stand to hear her advocating in favor of it. I want to enjoy my life, not hear advocacy of institutionalized child abuse.

That's basically it -- it's so disgusting that I don't even want to hear people's opinions justifying it. So please PM me with your fb link!
#81 of 83 Old 10-08-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon.mom View Post
So spanking makes me sad and mad, too.
But just remember, it's been legal for a long time, and not likely to change.
(After all, the bible talks about it...)

(I consider myself a religious person- Unitarian Universalist- and I hope I don't sound condescending towards other religions...or political parties, for that matter...)
hi Moon.mom,

i'm not offended at all. there are quite a few Christians here that are against spanking and how its wrongly being justified by the bible, Please read the false doctrine of spanking.

It really boils my blood when Christians use the bible as an excuse to abuse children.

Here is another link to Christians for Non-Violent Parenting;
http://www.nospank.net/cnpindex.htm

Oh, and here is my favorite article about this!
http://www.nospank.net/bible1.htm

Quote:
Not only did he (Jesus) give children status as human beings, they were to be treated as human beings:

Whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it (Luke 18:17).
Whoever humbles himself like a child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 18:4).
Whoever receives a child [because of Jesus' commendation to children] receives [Jesus] (Matt. 18:5). On the other hand:
Whoever causes [a child to suffer or stumble or sin] it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea (Matt. 18:6).
#82 of 83 Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 PM

I just want to say that I would be appalled if a teacher ever hit my child. And despite my non-violent approach to parenting and life in general, it would probably be the first time I would ever punch/hurt someone. It is absolutely ridiculous that someone who does not have the love I have for my child to have the right to discipline her. Obviously the punishment would be worse coming from a stranger who's heart is not tied to the child as a parents is. I don't even spank my child let alone a stranger!
#83 of 83 Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 AM

: I cant even believe that! How would these kids even want to continue going to school? I remember when I was in school our principle was allowed to use a paddle in the boiler room. My parents told me if I acted up I he would do it to me too. I was so afraid of that man, I couldnt even talk to him when someone stole my purse at school. My parents always threatened that they would call him if I was naughty at school. Those poor children that have to go through that. I cant believe it.

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page