Spanking in schools, why is this still allowed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is so crazy that kids are being "disciplined" by being hit at school.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/20/cor...ent/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 PM

Okay, my first reaction was "They still spank in schools?" but WOW.

Take a look at the interactive map -- it's sadly not surprising. When you mouse over a state, it tells you how many kids were spanked last year at school. Some states . . .
Old 08-20-2008, 11:19 PM

:

its legal in MY state!!!!!!!!!

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 PM

what? thats illegal here i am pretty sure.

edit:

yup its illegal here

i thought it was illegal EVERYWHERE!
Old 08-20-2008, 11:49 PM

It varies by region. Unbefreakinglievable...

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Old 08-21-2008, 02:12 AM

Just a lurker, but I remember when corporal punishment was still legal in schools in CA. I remember being on In School Suspension in the 4th grade, where they sat me at a table across the hall from the principal's. A kid got spanked on one of the days I was sitting in the hall, and I still remember it 23 years later. Kind of traumatic, and I wasn't even the one getting spanked.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Do they really?!
ETA: If my kids were in school and I found out they were being not only spanked but paddled, I'd be bending every single faculty member over and paddling them. :

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 PM

Disgusting. So not only can parents physically assault a child, but I guess any adult in "authority" can.

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
Old 08-21-2008, 02:01 PM

I remember students getting the paddle in front of the rest of the class. I still remember the force and the "cracking" sound. I am still traumatized by it, and it wasnt me being hit. I cant believe this crap is still legal.

I am in PA, btw.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OMG. Over 18 thousand kids in my state got paddled last year. If there was any doubt in my mind that my ds is not going to go to public schools(which really, there wasn't), this resolves the question. I'm either homeschooling or doing Montessori or Waldorf....assuming that they don't paddle.

How can this even be legal? We're in the year 2008.....this makes me feel like we are not growing as a society, but regressing. How can so many people be in favor of this? It's really making me want to cry.

I too, remember being at hearing the resounding crack of the paddle on another kid's behind during my one year of Catholic private school in second grade. That image and sound will stay with me forever, and as the pp said, it wasn't even me. It still makes me shudder. There has to be some way to outlaw this. It really breaks my heart. :

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Wow. Unreal. I'd freak out if my daughter were hit at school. And as a teacher here in Vancouver, I'm sure I would lose my job if I ever took a hand to a student -- and that's exactly as it should be.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM

I cannot believe this!!!!
I am sorry but if I found out that someone had hit my child with a paddle,I would be there in a heartbeat and I would wrap the paddle so hard around their head that the imprint would be there forever!! Sorry,not very GD I know but when it comes to protecting my kids,this animal just escapes from within!!

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 08-21-2008, 04:21 PM

Until I saw that on the news, I had NO idea paddling was still going on in schools in ANY state. It's not allowed in my state, so I guess I assumed it wasn't allowed anywhere.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunklemama View Post
I cannot believe this!!!!
I am sorry but if I found out that someone had hit my child with a paddle,I would be there in a heartbeat and I would wrap the paddle so hard around their head that the imprint would be there forever!! Sorry,not very GD I know but when it comes to protecting my kids,this animal just escapes from within!!
Even in Texas, parents have to sign off on it.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendora View Post
Even in Texas, parents have to sign off on it.
I wouldn't be 'signing off' on it!!! I would be telling them where to stick their signing sheet and high tailing it out of that state with my precious babes tucked under my arms,as quick as my little legs could carry me!!!

Thank god it is illegal in my state or we would be moving.TODAY!!!!!

I am just SO shocked that this still goes on.

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 08-21-2008, 04:54 PM

In most cases, the parents do have the choice to "opt out", but unfortunately, most parents in those areas do not see any harm in it. Or, the school ignores it. Some schools will refuse to take inter-district transfer students if the parents try to opt out. In fact, some parents are like: you get in trouble at school, you are also in trouble at home. Sometimes, the child has the choice between getting paddled or suspended and chooses the momentary sting of the paddle to being suspended.

My eldest child has been paddled at school. Once. She straightened up after that and the lecture she got at home.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 PM

"Corporal punishment is not effective at the junior and senior high school levels, and I do not recommend its application," Dobson said on the organization's Web site.

"It can be useful for elementary students, especially with amateur clowns (as opposed to hard-core troublemakers). For this reason, I am opposed to abolishing spanking in elementary schools because we have systematically eliminated the tools with which teachers have traditionally backed up their word. We're now down to a precious few. Let's not go any further in that direction."

I think it's interesting that he supports hitting little kids, but not older ones. While he explains that in language about what "works," I've always suspected that the general attitude about this comes from the fact that an older kid is often strong enough to meaningfully fight back -- and even physically overcome their attacker.

(Yes, I consider such "discipline" to be physical assault.)
Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post

My eldest child has been paddled at school. Once. She straightened up after that and the lecture she got at home.
You lectured her after she was paddled at school?

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmom View Post
You lectured her after she was paddled at school?
I was in Korea at the time and she was living with her grandparents. Long story on that. She got a lecture (and her computer games taken away for a day, which is worse in her mind) for the misbehavior that led to the paddling.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I was in Korea at the time and she was living with her grandparents. Long story on that. She got a lecture (and her computer games taken away for a day, which is worse in her mind) for the misbehavior that led to the paddling.
I don't agree with the paddling in the first place but I really don't understand why she'd get punished 3 times for the same thing (paddling, lecture, then games taken away).

Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with the paddling in the first place but I really don't understand why she'd get punished 3 times for the same thing (paddling, lecture, then games taken away).
Yeah, overkill. 3 punishments for one misdeed?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:37 PM

I went to a public school in TN where paddling was used often. My mom had a note on file for me that said I was not to be paddled (it never came up as an issue) and told me I should leave and walk home if they tried. (We lived a block away.)

I do know my sister was paddled at 16 by the (creepy and icky) male principal, who had made inappropriate sexual comments towards her. :

I would absolutely not send my child to a school where this was used as punishment ever, for anyone, period.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post

I do know my sister was paddled at 16 by the (creepy and icky) male principal, who had made inappropriate sexual comments towards her. :
OT but we had a bio teacher like this in HS. One time he poured a bottle of water on my friends WHITE tshirt...all over her breasts. She reported him but none of the staff believed her.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:06 PM

And parents wonder why I have such a problem with the fact that we can't sneak in on any given day and observe my son's class without first telling the teacher! The bad behavior of creepy teachers is far greater than the threat of a nut with a gun.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Ick. I did know they still spanked in schools, but it sucks hearing about it, especially that parents allow it! I mean, my mom was a spanker, but if anyone at my schools had tried to spank me (it was legal, but required parental consent) there would be HELL to pay. It's sad enough to me that there are parents who believe it's okay for them to spank, but to allow others to spank your kids makes me really nauseous. In that case it's not just a cycle or not understanding the harm or inefficacy of spanking, it just seems heartless.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
In most cases, the parents do have the choice to "opt out", but unfortunately, most parents in those areas do not see any harm in it. Or, the school ignores it. Some schools will refuse to take inter-district transfer students if the parents try to opt out. In fact, some parents are like: you get in trouble at school, you are also in trouble at home. Sometimes, the child has the choice between getting paddled or suspended and chooses the momentary sting of the paddle to being suspended.

OMG you eldest is only 7 years old how can people think that this is okay???????

Natasha,Mum to many.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
:
why do people think that it is okay to drag out a punishment.Tell them once,give the appropriate consequence and be done with it,talk about teaching a child to drag things out and hold a grudge

Natasha,Mum to many.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimunklemama View Post
OMG you eldest is only 7 years old how can people think that this is okay???????
You took the words right out of my mouth. 7 years old and paddled at school? And then a lecture and games taken away? I'd cut off the grandparents for life if this were me (right after I slapped a few people around the head at the school). This is the worst thing I've heard in a long time...poor, poor girl.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 PM

Here is another article about the same issue written from a point of view that makes it sound even worse. Wow. All I can say is

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...International/

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naupakamama View Post
Here is another article about the same issue written from a point of view that makes it sound even worse. Wow. All I can say is

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...International/
Paddling children with disabilities? A three yo came home with BRUISES?! :Puke :
This is ridiculous. God! It's just making my blood boil now. Something needs to be done about this!

User Tag List