Disciplining Yourself for GD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 year old DD is trying my patience (which I don't have much of anyway). I really didn't have a discipline method except no spanking, and some use of time-out (nothing consistent). In crept lots of nagging and begging... frustration. Anyway, I read Biblical Parenting by Crystal Lutton, and I really like what she has to say and her 5 steps. The problem is I don't have the discipline enough to stop my old patterns and try this stuff out consistently enough to see if it works with my DD. For ex. - giving warnings 5 minutes before I expect her to transition into something - sometimes I do when I think about it. Most of the time it's like "Oh, it's time to go. Let's go Deladis... it's time." Sometimes she is okay with that, most of the time she isn't. So, how do you get out of the "doing what you know" and start doing what is better for your child?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
reflection & apologies

When something goes really badly, I try to reflect on it at a later time and think of better ways to handle next time. Writing it down can be a big help too.

I have also found that if I apologize when I fall into my old ways then state what I wish I would have done to be helpful. I don't like having to apologize all the time, so it helps me to remember to do things my new way. Plus it is a great way to model how to handle mistakes.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page