A full plate and need lots of help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-30-2008, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 5 year old dd, 2 year old ds, and a 5 month old ds. My 2 year old has had serious issues ever since the baby has been born. He was always good but when the baby came into the picture his yelling, tantruming, hitting, just got out of line. Like today I told him to pick up his toys and he kept screaming and crying so I could read him a book. I told him I am not going to read unless he picks up the toys...and he just carried on like that for a good 5 minutes. In the mornings when we homeschool the 5 year old, he will try everything to come and disturb, or yell or scream to get attention. I don't know what to do anymore. I think he feels left out but what can we do to help him. Also the 5 year old doesn't seem to take me too seriously when I tell her not to hit her brother or fight over things..but when dad comes into the picture she really listens.

Is there any good strategies or techniques that I can use to help the situation. My 2 year and 5 year old gets time outs but they still continue doing what they are not supposed to do. My 2 year old also constantly has to come and hurt the baby..

What are some good books to read to help these type of situations?

Thanks
#2 of 2 Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like the 2 yr old just really needs time with you, like cuddling up and reading together (like he was tantruming about)

sorry my advice is not very practical ... but Maybe it's a start, at least - slow down, stay in, focus on him as much as you can, even just 10 min here and there throughout the day. And then re-evaluate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page