I got in trouble for DS going "potty" outside school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After picking DS (4yrs old) up at school, we usually stay at the school playground for another hour or so to hang out with his friends/ other moms. He only goes to pre-k from 7:30-10, so it's nice to have that extra transition time.

Well, today as soon as he was at the playground, he said he had to go potty and ran to the corner (behind a tree) and peed on the tree. A teacher happened to walk by and while I was loudly and clearly telling him, "We can go to the bathroom inside school, it's not ok to go out here. Tell me before you have to go", she looked at me disgusted and said "You know he can't do that, the principal doesn't allow that....and on and on lecturing how there's a bathrom inside...I replied politely, that I remind him not to wait until the last minute, and that he mustn't do it.

He's done it a few times before, and I guess, well, he's decided that's his spot He always waits until the last minute too. ...I don't encourage going potty outside, but boys are boys, and if there's no bathroom around, I will make sure it's in a discreet place...at least behind a tree. I do remind him afterwards that he can ask to go to the bathroom, and we can run back in...at first i wasn't sure if we could since they lock the school doors, but another parent told me it was ok.

So an hour later, still at the playground, that same teacher walks by again and gives me a nasty look, then 2 min. later the Asst Principal walks out...pulls me aside (the few other moms there all staring at me like ooooh your're in trouble), and gives me another lecture on how I can't allow my son to urinate outside, other kids play around the tree and it's dirty and unhygenic....I apologize and repeat myself again....she then tells me that from now on when I pick him up, I need to take him to the bathroom before going to the playground. She didn't suggest doing so, she basically was telling me how I need to parent... I said, ok, but then it would make sense for me to be able to pick him up at the gym and take him to the bathroom before going outside (since once he's out he's running off to the playground). She said no,because of security reasons, he will have to be sent out by the teacher the way they always do (parents must wait outside on the sidewalk), then I would have to walk down to the main door, ring the doorbell, then they will let us in to use the bathroom....ok well, you know how it is, you ask your dc if they have to go potty, they say no, then 10min later they have to go....so basically, I guess I'd have to just drag him to the bathroom, and not ask if he has to go. Then she said she was going to talk to his teacher about it, because I asked, don't they have a designated potty time? The bathroom is all the way down the hallway from the classroom, so the teacher has to take them altogether. So tomorrow I'll probably get a 3rd lecture from his teacher.

Ok, I'm sure I'm overreacting, and maybe I'm doing the wrong thing by not disciplining him more firmly about peeing outside, since he keeps doing it...I guess if he does it again, I should just tell him he's not allowed to stay at the park, and drag him to the car crying and screaming??? Any suggestions welcome on how to deal with this. I know it sounds silly, I think it is silly, but I guess I have broken the school rules and who knows, I could get sent to the principals office next time...grrr... just venting here.

Mom to a happy 6 year old boy and a new baby girl (9/27/09)
#2 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 PM

peeing outside isn't wrong.. but maybe not such a good idea where other kids play. can you put ti thim like that?

Is there another outside place near home, or your own backyard where he CAN pee outside... until he outgrows the urge.

4 is still young.

sounds like the school is just uncomfortabel with urine... can't blame them. I think they are trying to fix it...

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#3 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 PM

Dogs pee where kids play. Not that I think peeing near the playground is great.... just saying!!!... but... I have two young boys in a town without public bathrooms. We have peed on park trees and in alleyways. In the forest it is A-OK! I have heard moms embarrassed that thier boys have peed on the school grounds. You aren't the first mom to have to modify that behavior! It really sucks that you were shamed for it though.

:
#4 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 PM

I think if they want a change in behavior, they should make more of an effort to facilitate it. Like not sending 4 y.o.s out the door away from the bathroom after who knows how long since the last potty break.
#5 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM

I let my DS pee outside at home all the time. Of course, that doesn't make it appropriate for public places but I'm not gonna freak out if it happens!
Just sounds like teacher/principal have their panties in a bunch. He's only 4. Sheesh!

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#6 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 05:19 PM

I think my head would have exploded the first time someone lectured me about an incident I had already handled. :

Wow.

Did they think once he started you could stop him mid-stream?

It sounds to me like they make it extremely difficult for them to go to the bathroom, and he found a simple solution. Natural consequences for micromanaging things to death, don't you think?

I think if the teacher lectures you, you should have a response ready, something about them not responding to the needs of small children very well and maybe back it up with some cites about bladder infections from waiting too long to go. I would laugh if one of my dc's teachers lectured me. Talk about overstepping boundaries!

for intuitive readings click here :
#7 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will have to say that I am NOT a fan of peeing in public. Even in the woods there are rules about where you can urinate, not in the water supply, not where you are going to prep food etc.

IMO peeing should be done in its designated area, unless it is an ABSOLUTE emergency. Emergency don't really happen on playgrounds.

Maybe your boy likes peeing outside. I know I like going outside. I would rather go outside. In the appropriate area.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#8 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can totally understand the school position I alos think they could have handled it with a lot more grace. I'd just try my best to figure out a way to help my son and move on from there comments at this time. Sorry you were harrassed so much.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#9 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysmomma View Post
....ok well, you know how it is, you ask your dc if they have to go potty, they say no, then 10min later they have to go....so basically, I guess I'd have to just drag him to the bathroom, and not ask if he has to go. Then she said she was going to talk to his teacher about it, because I asked, don't they have a designated potty time?
We have certain rules here in the house. Before we go out somewhere everyone uses the bathroom and also before stories and bedtime at night everyone uses the potty. I don't know about the 'asking them if they have to go' thing. It may be that it just needs to be a new rule to use it as he has shown you pretty consistently he needs to go at that time. Potty before play in the park outside may need to be the new rule.

I'll bet if I didn't have the potty time rules in the house my kiddos would probably have accidents a lot and when we went out. I think maybe my DD's 5 and nearly 7 have wet the bed maybe twice since they were fully potty trained in their second year.

I know it may be a PITA, especially initially to do it. But he will accept it, and get used to it. I really personally feel the same way about pottying in a public place whether it's a boy or girl. Obviously accidents happen, but once you've noticed a trend, and that he thinks it's acceptable it's a good idea to prevent it. There are laws against public urination for reasons. And, I definitely think that the school is only trying to be responsible and respect what other parents likely would be upset about. I definitely would not like it if I found out that one of my DC's classmates was consistently peeing in an area they could play in.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#10 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 PM

Honestly, I think that's pretty icky, and I really wouldn't want to play in a playground where kids are peeing here & there. And I'd about the least germ phobic person around. I used to keep a toddler potty in my car for such emergencies. Maybe you could put one in the trunk.
#11 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I think if they want a change in behavior, they should make more of an effort to facilitate it. Like not sending 4 y.o.s out the door away from the bathroom after who knows how long since the last potty break.
Amen, sister. Plus, I'm pretty sure that pee is sterile. It's really not going to hurt anything or anyone for a 4 yo to urinate outside.
#12 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Wow, this seems a little high strung - he's only 4!

On the other hand, I don't suppose I would want my kid to put his hand on the tree where somebody peed.
#13 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Well, I wouldn't be really psyched about my kids playing in pee, but I'm sure there are worse things. :

My issue would be being corrected MULTIPLE times even AFTER I had already dealt with the situation. That would really piss me off.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#14 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM

I think I'd frame it as a "school rules" thing. It's against the rules to pee outside at school....even if Mommy is here with you.

I'd hate to see all 300 kids peeing outside

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#15 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 PM

I think if there's a bathroom available, it's best to pee in a bathroom, instead of on the school playground.

Just take him to the bathroom after school. Why is that a big deal?

They probably overracted a bit, but, it's not that big of a hassle to stop at the bathroom before you go out to the playground.
#16 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
Obviously accidents happen, but once you've noticed a trend, and that he thinks it's acceptable it's a good idea to prevent it. There are laws against public urination for reasons. And, I definitely think that the school is only trying to be responsible and respect what other parents likely would be upset about. I definitely would not like it if I found out that one of my DC's classmates was consistently peeing in an area they could play in.
I agree with this, and sorry, I side with the school. Telling him "not to do it next time" every single repeated time he does it, is not "handling it" at all. It's not like he did it once and you told him not to and made sure to take him to the restroom before the playground in the future. That would be "handling it," and I'd agree with you that they should stop harrassing you about 1 incident. You're saying though, that he does it repeatedly and every time you tell him, after he's started, not to do that. I think you need to make sure he pees before he goes to the playground, or take him home where he can pee in your yard. Or pull him out of school if its that big a deal to you, or bring a portable potty. Its not about if you think pee is sterile, its about societal rules and potentially laws. On school grounds, its entirely possible that you're breaking the law.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#17 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Unless your son has a bladder infection, his urine is completely sterile. It's more hygenic then touching a public door handle anyway. Besides, he's four, so peeing out side is like... the coolest thing ever!

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#18 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysmomma View Post
she then tells me that from now on when I pick him up, I need to take him to the bathroom before going to the playground.
Why don't they take the kids to bathroom BEFORE they send them home with their parents? Doesn't that seem like the LOGICAL thing to do? I get so sick of power-tripping imbeciles running rampant! Jeez, what do you pay them for anyway? Peeing outside isn't that big of deal. When my brother was in preschool he peed on the playground, while standing on a piece of playground equipment, and he got some on another kid. Yeah, that was trip to principal for my mom. Don't feel bad. They are the ones that are making a big deal out of nothing, not you!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#19 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
I agree with this, and sorry, I side with the school. Telling him "not to do it next time" every single repeated time he does it, is not "handling it" at all. It's not like he did it once and you told him not to and made sure to take him to the restroom before the playground in the future. That would be "handling it," and I'd agree with you that they should stop harrassing you about 1 incident. You're saying though, that he does it repeatedly and every time you tell him, after he's started, not to do that. I think you need to make sure he pees before he goes to the playground, or take him home where he can pee in your yard. Or pull him out of school if its that big a deal to you, or bring a portable potty. Its not about if you think pee is sterile, its about societal rules and potentially laws. On school grounds, its entirely possible that you're breaking the law.
They're dealing with 4 year olds who were very recently potty trained.

You'd think they would make bathrooms more accessible. All she can do is correct him once he's started to go, it's too late to do anything else.

If it's such a big deal to them, they should make it easier for him to take a bathroom break earlier, while continuing to correct him.

for intuitive readings click here :
#20 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 PM

I would worry that if he has made this a habit, he may try it while he is at school under the teacher's supervision. If that were to happen, I imagine it would be handled as a discipline issue, and very well could result in your child feeling shamed. It also sounds like you are there playing during school hours, and it honestly surprises me that you are permitted to hang around and play after he is dissmissed. Are there no other classes using the playground during that time? I can't even imagine the drama that would result if other children saw him, or imitated him.

I understand that the whole experience was embarassing for you. I can understand though, that from the school's POV -- you should be able to teach your child not to pee on the playground.
#21 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM

Um, ew. Peeing on the playground is not cool and I agree that you should take your child to the potty before going out to the playground. And yes the school could do that to, but since they won't, you should.

Mama of three.

#22 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
We have certain rules here in the house. Before we go out somewhere everyone uses the bathroom and also before stories and bedtime at night everyone uses the potty. I don't know about the 'asking them if they have to go' thing. It may be that it just needs to be a new rule to use it as he has shown you pretty consistently he needs to go at that time. Potty before play in the park outside may need to be the new rule.
Yep, we do that too. I learned pretty quickly that by asking "Do you need to go to the bathroom?" it almost always got a "no" in response. Now I say "We're getting ready to leave. Time for everyone to try to go to the bathroom." You can't make them go, but you *can* not do the fun thing until they try.

Quote:
: I agree with this.

Also, I disagree in your OP that it's because "boys will be boys". I'm the mom of four boys and none of them have ever peed outside. I believe the toilet is the appropriate place to go to the bathroom, for a potty trained child and excluding accidents, of course. If you want to let him pee outside at your house, more power to you, but I think you should be respectful of other people in public when it comes to urinating. It's not a "need" of a child to pee outdoors (I would guess he simply wants to go play right away and not make a pesky trip to the restroom) and there's no harm in teaching and enforcing rules that others have set for their property.
#23 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM

We live in the rural part of Northern CA and kids always pee on the tree at playgroup - now I teach preschool and the kids I know who need reminders get them and I take them but if a kid peed outside (which even the girls do here) - it wouldn't be a big deal - it's sterile!!!! Now - if you were to send your child with no coat when it's snowing (today) and send a sugar laden snack and lunch - I would maybe say something - but peeing outside - come on!

still learning
#24 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 08:13 PM

I would have been kicked out of that school a loooong time ago! I have 3 boys (6, 5, 4) and they pee outside all the time.

Shoot...dd potty trained in Oregon...she pees the grass herself and gets a round of applause for doing so It was the norm there. Tons of babies EC'ing in the grass! At parks and outings..find a place away from other where no one is and pee. I loved living in Oregon

They do this here (east coast) now and I know it's not the norm. We don't care what other adults think. We will try to find a potty first (if they don't whip it out and go right after we get out of the car...) and for some reason there are not many public restrooms here So they go outside. Dd does too.
#25 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
Yep, we do that too. I learned pretty quickly that by asking "Do you need to go to the bathroom?" it almost always got a "no" in response. Now I say "We're getting ready to leave. Time for everyone to try to go to the bathroom." You can't make them go, but you *can* not do the fun thing until they try.

: I agree with this.

Also, I disagree in your OP that it's because "boys will be boys". I'm the mom of four boys and none of them have ever peed outside. I believe the toilet is the appropriate place to go to the bathroom, for a potty trained child and excluding accidents, of course. If you want to let him pee outside at your house, more power to you, but I think you should be respectful of other people in public when it comes to urinating. It's not a "need" of a child to pee outdoors (I would guess he simply wants to go play right away and not make a pesky trip to the restroom) and there's no harm in teaching and enforcing rules that others have set for their property.
:
#26 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 PM

It's only sterile as it leaves the body, then it's an ideal medium for bacterial growth, YUCK

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#27 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Peeing outside is not a big deal (okay, maybe this is because I live in a rural area...)

BUT the school is perfectly within their rights to insist that kids not pee outside on school property.

The school should have some degree of kindness/empathy and take any one of the OP's several suggestions about how to help with more potty time.

BUT, since they evidently don't, the OP should go through the whole rigaramole of getting back into the building and using the bathroom before the kid gets to go to the playground at all.
#28 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 PM

I wanted to add:

I think it's nice that you're allowed to stay and play. Here it's closed campus. You have to leave if your classes are over. The school becomes public/park 30min after classes/events are over. Then and only then can the public, or kids that are out of school for the day, play on the playground.

#29 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
I wanted to add:

I think it's nice that you're allowed to stay and play. Here it's closed campus. You have to leave if your classes are over. The school becomes public/park 30min after classes/events are over. Then and only then can the public, or kids that are out of school for the day, play on the playground.
Ours are shut after school hours, you cannot stay and play, and they don't re-open either. I suspect behavior just like the OP was taking place, and rough housing, and they were probably worried about property damage, clean up, and liability. So now no one can use it.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#30 of 173 Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 PM

haaa haaa heee heee I love some of these reponses!!!!!

I live in Beijing, China, and we do this ALL the time here--Everyone does--but kids especially!

If it's grass, it's fair game! It evaporates and sinks in SO quickly...

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page