Counting to three.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your opinions on counting to three when your child will not follow through with something?

If you are not in favor, what are some other options?

Thanks.
J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 AM

We count. I count to 10 when its time to leave a place. Though now I have graduated to a visual 60 second timer. DS needs a lot of help with transitions...that is, moving from one activity to the other - this might be from leaving the house to go to the playground, leaving the playground to go have lunch, etc.
BUT - and a big but here... I do not do anything to my DS if said time is up and he does not budge. A lot of people who I know who 'count' - then do something to their child if they didnt do said request. Be it spanking them, punishing them, physically forcing them, etc. DS has decided he was not ready to go and needed a bit more help with the transition a handful of times. Other than that, I have no problem with it. He knows I wont do anything to him. There is no obligation there. I just use it to help with the transition (and it really does help, beside the fact he has SPD and I suspect an ASD - most small children do need some help with transitions). If I felt I needed to use it to control DS, then I would have to take a step back and look a bit deeper at the issue at hand. (which means you would have to get more specific about what your child is not doing that you are requesting of them). Most people that I see who use 'counting' to control their child (besides how I use it, thats how they do use it) - use it as a quick fix to get their child to comply quickly to their wishes. They give them the false choice of either doing A or getting B (which is always a punishment of some kind). - That, I do not agree with.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:36 AM

We don't do a count-down or count to 3, but I will count the number of times I've asked dd to do something; more to help her realize what's happening in the moment.

"Dd I need you to put on your shoes so we can leave"

... playing, asking questions, making excuses for a few minutes....

"Dd, I'm asking you a 2nd time to put your shoes on please."

... more playing, more whining, etc...

"Dd this is the 3rd time I'm asking you. I'm feeling really frustrated because I feel like you're not listening. How can we be sure that I won't need to ask you a 4th time?"

That's just an example. It's not always that smooth.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned

We count. I said I would never do it but I do and I am okay with it. There is no punishment involved or anything, typically it is after we have playful parented/reasoned/whatever and I am running out of patience. The "three" only means "and now I will help you along with that."

So, the "punishment" if you could call it that, is that she doesn't do it by herself or whatever. So an example would be:

"dd time to go, please get your shoes on"

(10 minutes and 3 more reminders)

"Okay dd, do you want to just put them on in the car instead?"

"No, I want to put them on here!"

"Okay, I'm waiting... put them on please"

(dd gets distracted, 5 more minutes go by... we are going to be late at this point)

You get the idea. Then, I may say something like okay, I am giving you to the count to three to (even begin) putting on your shoes. I will help you after that.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think that counting can be useful if you make it clear to your child that when you reach a specific number you are going to come over and help them get a task done. You can help a child cooperate in gentle ways with a gentle tone. If counting makes you angry then you shouldn't do it, but if you can do it in a calm and matter of fact way then I think it can be a great thing. I also think it helps kids learn their numbers. I used to count to ten but now that dd is older I count backwards from ten and sometimes I count by 2's to 20.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:03 PM

: I think it's appropriate as a transitioning tool, whether letting them know it's just about time for them to do something or for you to do something for/to them, so they can start to shift mentally into cooperation with you. That's different than doing it with a threatening/punitive air.

I also think that you have to make sure you have their attention before you start doing this. I feel like sometimes the issue of non-cooperation that parents feel is really about the child being so absorbed in something else that they don't even hear you. So acknowledging what they're doing and looking for a good moment to interrupt, then getting down on their level, touching them and making eye contact...

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
Old 11-16-2008, 04:11 PM
jmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post
I think that counting can be useful if you make it clear to your child that when you reach a specific number you are going to come over and help them get a task done. You can help a child cooperate in gentle ways with a gentle tone.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post
I also think that you have to make sure you have their attention before you start doing this. I feel like sometimes the issue of non-cooperation that parents feel is really about the child being so absorbed in something else that they don't even hear you. So acknowledging what they're doing and looking for a good moment to interrupt, then getting down on their level, touching them and making eye contact...
And this.

I only use counting similar to the the shoe issue above. When we get to three it means I will come help dd do whatever it is I am needing her to do. She's 3 and very much wants to do everything herself so often this motivates her to get the job done. But sometimes, I've noticed that couting will help focus her and she sees what I'm asking when she was she was too absorbed in playing to hear me before.

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
Old 11-16-2008, 04:45 PM

I use it...but I don't like it. I can't really pinpoint why I don't like it, and I'll admit I use it when I'm getting really frustrated. It's usually after "DS, do you want to come over here by yourself, or do you want me to help you?" I start counting when that doesn't work and they usually come over by '2'. If I get to three then I get up and take them by the hand and walk them over to where I wanted them in the first place. But does it seem kinda pointless to anybody else? I mean, why didn't I just get off my lazy butt and go to them in the first place? Anybody feel this way too?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
We count. I said I would never do it but I do and I am okay with it. There is no punishment involved or anything, typically it is after we have playful parented/reasoned/whatever and I am running out of patience. The "three" only means "and now I will help you along with that."

So, the "punishment" if you could call it that, is that she doesn't do it by herself or whatever. So an example would be:

"dd time to go, please get your shoes on"

(10 minutes and 3 more reminders)

"Okay dd, do you want to just put them on in the car instead?"

"No, I want to put them on here!"

"Okay, I'm waiting... put them on please"

(dd gets distracted, 5 more minutes go by... we are going to be late at this point)

You get the idea. Then, I may say something like okay, I am giving you to the count to three to (even begin) putting on your shoes. I will help you after that.
That's what I do.
The thing is, I want to know that if it was something serious, a safety thing, that my kids would or could comply when I asked them to. I don't ask them for compliance without giving them a valid reason, but I do expect some compliance over some things.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomgardner417 View Post
I use it...but I don't like it. I can't really pinpoint why I don't like it, and I'll admit I use it when I'm getting really frustrated. It's usually after "DS, do you want to come over here by yourself, or do you want me to help you?" I start counting when that doesn't work and they usually come over by '2'. If I get to three then I get up and take them by the hand and walk them over to where I wanted them in the first place. But does it seem kinda pointless to anybody else? I mean, why didn't I just get off my lazy butt and go to them in the first place? Anybody feel this way too?
I see what you mean, but I use the time to give them the chance to decide they're going to do it on their own first. I can imagine my kids would get really annoyed if I went straight over and got them in that type of situation. The warning give them time to finish up what they're doing.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned

I give the ol' one, two, three to let dd know I am serious about a deadline So with us, it works because typically we don't have any time constraints/deadlines. Typically, we are a mostly consensual family in most day to day interactions. There are times though, where I can't (and quite frankly don't feel like) sitting there for 30 minutes trying to "mutually agree" on getting your darn shoes on so we can get out the door. Of course right now she doesn't understand the whole concept of people waiting, being late, holding people up etc -- because she is (and very developmentally appropriate) self centered -- so I do whip out the 'ol 1-2-3 in those situations with absolutely zero guilt. The kid has the life of Riley over here, if 1-2-3 *I'm going to help this along* is the worst she is subjected to
(and ya know what, it pretty much is), I call that a pretty charmed life
Old 11-16-2008, 06:26 PM

ooh i tried that, my daughter just counts with me (she's two 1/2 ) , & that makes me laugh, & then we forget what the problem was, so it works that way. I don't think I'd ever really want to use it , though, because I remember my father doing it & me being incredibly scared of him. I don't want my children to be scared of me. Not judging you,though, whatever works for you & your family, it's different for everyone!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Banned

DD is definitely not scared of me There is only fear if there is something to fear kwim. Like, if the only fear is "I'm sure scared mama might make good on my shoes having to be on before gallavanting around town" then yeah, that is the risk I am willing to take. We don't do punishments but we do expect reasonable requests to be, at the very least... considered
Old 11-16-2008, 06:56 PM

yes, i know that. I am often too nice to my dd (if such a thing is possible) , because I remember how my dad was, & I still don't really talk to him. I just don't see the the point in wrestling my crying toddler into trousers when she would rather be naked, & we''re not going out that day. Of course she has to get dressed when we go outside, but inside i am really not that fussed.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

We have never forced anything on dd -- when I say help, I really mean... help... not force. I am not an advocate of forcing a dissenting child into doing something with their body that the don't consent to! Sometimes with dd though, she needs a concrete example of what not putting shoes on means -- that we can't go to fun places -- not as a punishment, but I am beyond carrying my 35lb 3.5 year old around all day simply because she has chosen not to wear shoes -- and it is not agreeable to me to let her go barefoot unless we are in a place where there is nothing to hurt herself on.

So, the one two three is ... at three I will help you, if you protest, cool, but we can't go -- which of course, results in a tantrum, which of course, results in... well, put on your shoes... (and I am only keeping to the shoe example for continuity, not because I care so much about shoes ) --- but sometimes, we are meeting someone, or there is an appointment, or a situation where time is of the essence and I am not going to make people sit around all day because my child didn't feel like putting on pants.

That having been said though, in 3.5 years we have never forced anything on her but once when after 3.. count them 3 hours of her not wanting to leave a shopping center (we weren't shopping or playing or anything, it was three HOURS of her sitting outside of a store not wanting to leave... and me trying to reach a "mutually agreeable solution" ,) I carried her, kicking and screaming, to the car without a shred of guilt about it.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:09 PM

ooh,been there,done that, nine months pregnant, heavy rain & dd will not leave the playground. had to call dh , he came home from work , because i simply could NOT carry that big scraming & kicking toddler home. So he came to the playround, put her in the car & drove us home.
I like "1,2,3 & then i'll help you , i think that is a very good thing to do. Me personally I could not wait 3 hours for dd to make a decision, we have a time limit of roughly half an hour around here, because of ds, who is only 2 months old.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewearetogether View Post
Me personally I could not wait 3 hours for dd to make a decision, we have a time limit of roughly half an hour around here, because of ds, who is only 2 months old.
I would never wait three hours again!! That was before, when I used to think every single situation had a reasonable, agreeable, happy solution for everyone involved. 99% of the time, yes, that can happen ime -- but there is that one percent of course LOL That was it.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 PM

I don't count and I can't really imagine doing it. I have never seen anybody use this method, but it sounds to me a bit ... too much of a method, maybe, a bit mechanical? A bit like a threat, perhaps.

I do say "Ok now I have asked you two times (to put your shoes on) and I have waited for quite a long time. I don't want to wait any longer, so you have to put your shoes on now, or I will put them on for you."

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is? I think maybe I feel that counting over the child's head is a bit disrespectful. I wouldn't do it with a grown-up, or liked it if my husband did it to me.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 PM

We don't count. We expect immediate obedience. Children learn quickly when you "really mean it" and when they can stall. If you count to 3 all the time, they will never take you seriously the first time because they know that until you count, they don't have to listen.

This doesn't mean we don't give them a head's up when appropriate. First, we make sure they hear us. We get on their level, make eye contact, even have them repeat it back to us if we're unsure. If we need to leave a playground for example, after we know they're listening, we'll say, "Okay, you can play for 5 more minutes and then we have to leave.". This lets them know that we will be leaving but we aren't yanking them away in a moment's notice from something they are loving with no warning.

We also try to be careful that we don't make them stop in the middle of something unless we have to. If my dd is drawing and almost done, we'll let her finish.

Also, depending on what it is, we've had our children say things like, "Can I do this first?" or whatever. So many things I could put in here. It depends on the age too.

But overall, we teach our children that when we say to do something (or not to do something), they are to listen the first time. We start teaching this at an age appropriate time (around 2 depending on the child).
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitmum View Post
I don't count and I can't really imagine doing it. I have never seen anybody use this method, but it sounds to me a bit ... too much of a method, maybe, a bit mechanical? A bit like a threat, perhaps.

I do say "Ok now I have asked you two times (to put your shoes on) and I have waited for quite a long time. I don't want to wait any longer, so you have to put your shoes on now, or I will put them on for you."

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is? I think maybe I feel that counting over the child's head is a bit disrespectful. I wouldn't do it with a grown-up, or liked it if my husband did it to me.
I don't use the "I wouldn't do it with a grown-up" analogy anymore. I am not dealing with a grown-up, I am dealing with a child. I am not suggesting they both are not deserving of respect -- but at the same time they have wildly differing abilities and understanding, as well as the adult having a (hopefully) deeper sense of consideration and empathy and ability to put themselves in the shoes of another ---- I have never sat and completely ignored my husband as he (inwardly) freaked out about being late to an appointment we needed to get to, as he patiently asked me and reasoned with me while I continued to go about my business completely oblivious and caring not about things such as appointments or time constraints. On the same token, my husband would never dream of saying to me, "I have waited for you to put your shoes on, now I will do it for you. " as per your example, so I don't get what you are exactly getting at I don't expect my child to be a mini-adult with the same reasoning skills, understanding, impulse control, and empathy. I treat her with respect but I treat her like a child, and that is not an insult imo.

I don't count over her head ... it is more from across the room as I am doing 10 other things. I don't expect it is any more disrespectful than my kitchen timer that will continue beeping when the pasta is done until I do something about it.

That is what my counting is, a slightly annoying reminder that something needs to start happening.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Well..we aren't GD, I'll say that much. i'm not sure how much else I can say without getting reprimanded...please mods, if I say something I'm not allowed to, please TELL ME and not just reprimand me...We do not advocate hitting or anything, but we are more authoritarian, we expect our kids to do what we tell them to, yes, I'll say it, "obey" us.

I see mostly cons to the counting. In general, I am not in favor of it, because essentially, you are telling the child "you don't REALLY have to do what i say, when i say it, you can do whatever you want for a little while, and only after i count to 3, or 5, or 20, etc, do you REALLY have to do what you are told" and I think that is absolutely the WRONG message to send kids. My kids need to do what they are told RIGHT NOW when I tell them to do it. But I am talking mostly about older kids who are developmentally typical and can, if it is taught to them, have that ability. Say, 4+

Now, for a younger child, or one who has serious "transition" issues, like my dd had for a while, I can see the benefit..although again, i would "structure" it in a different way that did not make it seem like they were "allowed" to ignore me and then choose when they want to obey me. Like...I might say to dd "in 5 minutes we are going to the store, you need to be ready." and then at the 3 minute mark say it again, and the 1 minute mark I will be more firm such as "in one minute, mommy is walking out the door and getting into the car to go to teh store, you will have to have your shoes on to come with me. would you like help or can you do it yourself?"
do you see how that is different than saying "please put your shoes on rigth now, we are going to the store." and then allowing her to disobey for a period of time before coming back and telling her again or counting to 3?

We are juggling 2 jobs for dh and I, 2 seperate families with custody/visitation agreements, 4 different schools (each with various pickup times, of course!) between the 5 kids and numerous activities like wrestling, boy scouts, etc. We have a strict schedule, and being places on time is simply not a negotiable issue(the state frowns on your 10 year old being left outside in the snow after school has let out fo rthe day, for example), we HAVE to leave when it's time to leave, we don't often get to stay in the house all day, etc.
We don't pick battles if they are not necesary, and if we have the option to stay at home all day, awesome! ...but generally, we expect the kids to do what they are told *right now*, not after we count to 5 or whatever.

CPST
Old 11-17-2008, 02:25 PM

This is a very interesting topic to me. Some posters are viewing counting as a way to help their kid with time in order for them to transition to another activity. Some posters feel it is an out for the the kid to play around more and not obey immediately.

I have a 1 year old so I am still telling her what I want her to do and doing it with her so I am not at the counting stage yet. However, I do want to set up the habit of her doing what I ask her to do immediately. Am I just crazy to think that a kid will do what you ask them to immediately? I am learning a lot from this forum and appreciate the help...but I probably fall more into the authoritative type than the consensual living type although I think I am a bit of both.

There is a subtle difference , which Bobandjess pointed out, between the '5 minutes and we are leaving' and the, 'I've asked you twice and now I will count to three', method. Both ways seem like a countdown of sorts to transition, but I think the difference is if the parent has asked 2,3,or 4 times and THEN start the count down. This is what I don't want to do as a parent. I want to ask once and if they don't do it then I will help them. Well, that is my plan anyway. Any more thoughts on this?
But how about for younger kids. How do you get them into the habit of just putting their shoes on when ask them to?

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post

I have a 1 year old so I am still telling her what I want her to do and doing it with her so I am not at the counting stage yet. However, I do want to set up the habit of her doing what I ask her to do immediately. Am I just crazy to think that a kid will do what you ask them to immediately? I am learning a lot from this forum and appreciate the help...but I probably fall more into the authoritative type than the consensual living type although I think I am a bit of both.
I used to think that kids reached a stage when they immediately listen, but as dd has gotten older and has become more confident with herself and more aware of her desires I have stopped thinking this. This is not a stage I would want her to get to. It would mean that I wasn't respecting her right as a person to have things she wants to do. There are times when I do need her to listen to me and do something I asked her to do because of many factors and we do have some rules and limits, but I don't expect her to immediately comply even then, we do a lot of transition things and explaining and when I do need to help her get ready I explain why. She is six and is at a place where she can understand that her desires don't always come first but that I will still make a big effort to help her get many of her desires met.

We have only one word when we expect each other to stop immediately and that is Stop, it is our safety and a word we use when we want something like tickling or grumpy words to stop. We both use it and it is a word I respect when she says it and she respects when I say it.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post
However, I do want to set up the habit of her doing what I ask her to do immediately. Am I just crazy to think that a kid will do what you ask them to immediately? I
No, it's not crazy at all. You can train a child either way. You can either train them that you're not serious until you get to the "3" when counting, or you can teach them that you expect them to obey immediately. Kids are super smart. How many kids will totally ignore their parents until the mom raises her voice, starts to walk toward them, or starts counting, and then all the sudden they do what you asked? They have been trained to not take the parent seriously until this point (and believe me, children know what that point is with their parents). That's because they have been allowed to ignore the parent the first time, or second time, or whatever.

Picture the scenerio. Mom has said, "Bobby, it's time to put your shoes on now so we can leave." Bobby ignores mom and continues what he's doing. "Bobby, I said go get your shoes on for mommy." Again, ignored. "Bobby, I'm counting to 3 and you better go get your shoes on." Bobby ignores mom until... "Mommy's counting... one, two... two and a half....three!" Bobby finally obeys.

How stressful. Bobby has actually trained mommy, not the other way around.

I've tried both approaches (I'm pg with #5) and counting is only delaying their obedience and causes frustration for the parent. Children are perfectly capable of obeying the first time, but only if that's the way you train them.

Again, refer to my earlier post that mentions some exceptions. There are always exceptions because every situation is unique. Like just a few minutes ago I told my 3 year old that lunch was ready. She had just received a brand new book in the mail from her book club. She said, "Mommy, I want to read this book." I said, "Okay, that's fine, I understand it's a new book. After you are done though, you need to come and eat your lunch." Because she's 3 and not 6, I'll remind her when she finishes the book to come and eat her lunch now and I will expect her to get up and come eat her lunch, and she will without me counting to 3.

I guess some would also say that we're more "authoritarian", but honestly, I just call it loving my kids. Training my children respect and obedience is loving them, and increases their self esteem.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
I don't use the "I wouldn't do it with a grown-up" analogy anymore. I am not dealing with a grown-up, I am dealing with a child.

I don't count over her head ... it is more from across the room as I am doing 10 other things. I don't expect it is any more disrespectful than my kitchen timer that will continue beeping when the pasta is done until I do something about it.

That is what my counting is, a slightly annoying reminder that something needs to start happening.
Well I didn't write my post as a criticism of what you or anybody else do, I just described how I feel about this counting method, as the OP was asking for different opinions. I think it's relevant to imagine how it would feel for me to be treated that way, you don't - OK, you're entitled to your opinion.

I agree with those of you who say that they expect to be heard without having to count, and I don't think that's un-GD in any way. Depending on the situation and the age of the child I think it's perfectly reasonable that we can't always wait five minutes or ask several times. At the stage we are currently at I try never to ask more than twice, because I don't want to create the habit that they ignore what I say because they know that I don't mean it.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:39 PM

DH and I count to three. Works like a charm. She's only three and for now I'm happy with it. I don't expect instant obedience at this age. I'm not sure if I'll ever expect INSTANT obedience but I do expect that as she gets older, I won't have to count. But for now it'll do.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:53 PM

I got into the bad habit of counting to three with my older dd.

Personally, I didn't like the way I used it. It was a very 'my power over you' mentality.

We never even discussed what would happen if I got to 'three', kwim? Dd was just scared enough to comply. I should add we're a non-hitting family, and I rarely yell.

So, the other day dd was on my LAST nerve about dawdling when I needed to leave. I said 'One... two...' and we both busted out laughing.

Because she's almost six, it was almost incongruous, kwim? It definitely doesn't fit our discipline issues anymore.

We just talked about how I was feeling frustrated with her dawdling, and came up with some other solutions.

For the record, we definitely practice gentle discipline and appropriate consequences, but I would never say we are CL. Dh and I have the final say around here.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebabies View Post
No, it's not crazy at all. You can train a child either way. You can either train them that you're not serious until you get to the "3" when counting, or you can teach them that you expect them to obey immediately. Kids are super smart. How many kids will totally ignore their parents until the mom raises her voice, starts to walk toward them, or starts counting, and then all the sudden they do what you asked? They have been trained to not take the parent seriously until this point (and believe me, children know what that point is with their parents). That's because they have been allowed to ignore the parent the first time, or second time, or whatever.

Picture the scenerio. Mom has said, "Bobby, it's time to put your shoes on now so we can leave." Bobby ignores mom and continues what he's doing. "Bobby, I said go get your shoes on for mommy." Again, ignored. "Bobby, I'm counting to 3 and you better go get your shoes on." Bobby ignores mom until... "Mommy's counting... one, two... two and a half....three!" Bobby finally obeys.

How stressful. Bobby has actually trained mommy, not the other way around.

I've tried both approaches (I'm pg with #5) and counting is only delaying their obedience and causes frustration for the parent. Children are perfectly capable of obeying the first time, but only if that's the way you train them.

I guess some would also say that we're more "authoritarian", but honestly, I just call it loving my kids. Training my children respect and obedience is loving them, and increases their self esteem.

Good luck to you!
It sounds like you are describing something children are capable of the majority of the time rather than your reaction when your children decide not to listen. Even really compliant children have times when they dawdle and don't comply immediately. I really doubt that there is not some type of verbal or nonverbal cue that your children have picked up on when they are in the dawdling mood to tell them that you are serious and that it is time for them to listen right away.

Nonverbal cues work the same way as verbal cues and allow the child to stay engaged in their task until they see that things are going to get ugly if they don't listen. I prefer having a verbal cue system set up so I don't have to get frustrated and cranky when my child fails to pick up on any nonverbal cues I set up.

Your claim that giving cues makes for a stressful situation for the parent is a very broad claim. This really depends on how the parent uses cues and how aware they are of the cues they are using. It sounds like you are describing a situation in which the parent doesn't know they are giving cues, perhaps one from a negative cycle you have fallen in and found stressful. I think that does raise a valid point about how important it is to be aware of the cues you use, how many times you use them, and how the cues are making you feel. It does not mean that everyone experiences stress from using cues, or even from occasionally repeating themselves. Life with one or two children is much different from life with four going on five children.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post
I think that counting can be useful if you make it clear to your child that when you reach a specific number you are going to come over and help them get a task done. You can help a child cooperate in gentle ways with a gentle tone. If counting makes you angry then you shouldn't do it, but if you can do it in a calm and matter of fact way then I think it can be a great thing. I also think it helps kids learn their numbers.
ITA
Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 AM

We count...and we LOVE IT

However, we do it as a challenge...

"Ok dd, it's time to head home!"

"But mom! I'm not done playing yet!"

"I know hon, but we need to get back home to see Daddy. I bet you can't get your shoes and coat on before I count to 10...on your mark, get set, 1...2...3...4...5...6...7......"

"YOU DID IT! Wow you're fast!"

I've done this since she was little...she is 6 now...

User Tag List