Due date dilemma. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I go to a high risk OB and with my last pregnancy I happily told her my date of LMP and how my cycles are always 34-38 days and how I know I conceived on 7/21/04 and would be due on 4/14/05. Well, her "all knowing" wheel didn't agree with me. (Isn't it amazing how the wheel KNOWS how long every woman’s cycle is better than the women themselves?) The wheel said 4/8/05.
I didn't think it was a big deal, it was only a 6 day discrepancy after all, and merrily went on my pregnant way. Until 4/1/05 when she started bringing up my induction. I put her off and put her off until I finally broke on 4/22/05 and got the induction. After that experience I decided that I would simply modify my LMP date to correspond to a 28 day cycle by adding a couple of days on as needed. No problem, right? Except for the fact that I don't really know when we conceived this time.
I want to avoid an earlier than actual due date being placed upon this baby but I also don't want to have my baby "accused" of being premature.
My LMP was 4/14/06 and my cycle before that was 38 days.
So, I am getting ready to call for my first appointment and when they ask me my LMP I am wavering between giving the correct date, giving a modified date, and "forgetting" my dates.
Any advice? I really like my OB minus her wheel obsession.
Thanks for reading, I am usually not this long winded!
Sz

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Fay

Those stupid little wheels! I have a similar dilemma and want to avoid induction this time around.

Do you know approximately what day you O'd? I say calculate your LMP based on that, and you'll get a due date that you're happy with. If you get an u/s early on, the doctor can also calculate an accurate due date based on that.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
Old 05-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Well, if it was me I wouldn't feel comfortable with a care provider that I couldn't just be honest with.

But I do understand if you really like her otherwise and are sure you want to stick with her. I'd definitely fudge the dates with a clear conscious ... you're just helping them be more accurate
Old 05-25-2006, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I know what you mean about feeling the need to be dishonest. I've gone round and round with myself about finding a new OB who will take me on, has a convenient office, works at my prefered hospital, and I am comfortable with versus the due date dilemma. I like her, she is just married to the wheel.
I have no idea when I o'd or conceived so I am even kind of confused as to how many days I ought to add to my LMP date. Maybe 5, maybe 7. I am sure they will want to use the U/S to determine the date as well but my OB even dismissed the U/S date in favor of the wheel last time.
Thanks for the advice, gals!
Sz

Old 05-25-2006, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If you have to fudge LMP date (like PPs, I wouldn't feel comfortable having to be dishonest about it), maybe pick 10 days after your real LMP. That should at least get you O'ing 14 days prior to expected AF in a 38 day cycle, and if you O later than that, it's only off by a couple days probably.

I have 35 day cycles and O around day 23. The NURSE is married to the wheel, but thankfully, my OB actually listened to me and told me to schedule the dating u/s for later than normal, so I'd be closer to 8 weeks preg at the time of the u/s. Due to the OB being out of town that week, I had to go the week before, so I ended up being 7w1d (by my own estimate) at the time of u/s. The u/s dated me at 7w2d-7w4d, so they took the average and said I was 7w3d and put my due date in my chart based off that. So it's 2 days off what I tell everyone, but not a significant enough difference.

If you tell your OB that you don't know your LMP, they'd probably do a dating u/s (which insurance should cover in that case), and they are pretty accurate early on (like 8-10 weeks). They get inaccurate later, especially as you get into the 3rd trimester (my DS was measuring 31 weeks at 29 weeks, but thankfully, I charted and knew how far along he was - it made a difference as to how he was treated in the NICU).

The funny thing is... both pregnancies, when I've talked due dates with my midwife, she's picked up the wheel, and I told her to put it down. She did. I chart and know when things happen, so the wheel is not helpful at all.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 05-25-2006, 05:32 PM

If you don't tell the truth, will you be getting an ultrasound at all? They usually go by whatever that reveals anyway even if it is off. It is totally your decision but my gut tells me to be honest and let her know you aren't interested in an induction this time. Address the real issue, the induction not the dates.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Old 05-25-2006, 05:54 PM

Well, thanks for this thread!

I just called my doctor's office to make double-sure that my u/s next Tuesday will be used to figure out my due date, since I have a totally wacky cycle and really have no idea when I conceived! When I got my first hcg test done, the nurse was concerned because she thought the numbers were very low based on when my lmp was, but I realized that I may not have o'd until a week and a half after when she thought I did!
Old 05-25-2006, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

The ridiculous thing is that I will get the 8 week u/s like I did last time and they just disregard it in favor of the wheel

At the end of my first pregnancy I was going in 3 times a week due to my hypertension (not the reason why I am high risk) and to be pestered about induction three times a week for three weeks was difficult to say the least.

I'd love to avoid that rough landing this time...
Sz

Old 05-25-2006, 06:17 PM

My lmp was 4/12, but i O'd on cd18, so i told them my LMP was 4/16 = now the wheel and my EDD are all in sync!

Catherine
Old 05-25-2006, 06:25 PM

I would definitely fudge the date. With ds I did that but let them use the ultrasound date when it made my due date a week sooner. Big mistake! At the end of pregnancy, you're tired, you feel like and elephant and you just want to see your baby. Being 12 days past due rather than just five only makes it worse. And when ds was born, he was only 7 lb 6 oz and "dated" as a 40 week gestation baby. So I think the us is a bunch of hogwash. I would definitely adjust the date of your LMP and only allow them to change it if the ultrasound gave you more time. No sense inducing a baby that's doing just fine.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)

User Tag List