An Ultrasound Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-11-2006, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what point can they use and abdominal u/s instead of a vaginal one?
#2 of 10 Old 06-11-2006, 05:18 PM

With my first pregnancy I had only abdominal u/s. The first one was at 6 weeks. It helps to be thin. This time I had an abdominal u/s at 9-10 weeks.
#3 of 10 Old 06-11-2006, 06:19 PM

I still had vaginal at 9.5 weeks.
#4 of 10 Old 06-11-2006, 08:21 PM

I don't know if it helps to be thin, but I'm fat and I had an abdominal ultrasound at 9 weeks 6 days this time. I was fat when I had my son's ultrasound at 13 weeks and it was abdominal...we could see both babies just fine, flabby belly and all.

They work whether your thin or fat.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#5 of 10 Old 06-11-2006, 09:11 PM

I think a lot of depends on the skill of the tech and the quality of the machine. The earliest abdominal one I had was at 8 weeks with this pregnancy, and I woudn't exactly call myself "thin" and the tech commented that my bladder was empty. However, with my last pg I still had a transvaginal one at 11 weeks (with a full bladder).

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#6 of 10 Old 06-12-2006, 12:47 AM

I had one at 9weeks.. and it was abdominal.. they needed a full bladder because they kind of use that like a window into your uterus...I was sure I was going to pee on the tech.. (but I didn't)
#7 of 10 Old 06-12-2006, 09:10 AM

As others have said, it depends on many things, the position of the sac/baby, the skill of the tech and the quality of the machine being the biggest ones. But also, in very early pregnancy (before 8 or 9 weeks) it is just VERY hard to get a good view of the sac and/or baby transabdominally. Before then they almost always do a transvaginal view or sometimes both. I've had literally dozens of early ultrasounds in my various pregnancies (lots of bleeding, early losses and other issues) and I honestly prefer transvaginal because it gives a better view of the baby, and since thats what we're going for, thats what works for me.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#8 of 10 Old 06-12-2006, 12:38 PM

I just had an abdominal u/s to check for dates and I was 6 weeks. It was fine, we could see the baby, although it was very tiny...but we saw the heartbeat. My last pregnancy I had an abdominal u/s at 8 weeks, that one the baby was much bigger and easier to see.
#9 of 10 Old 06-12-2006, 05:46 PM

I had an abdominal at 7 weeks to determine if I had a tubal pg or not. Everything is fine. I've only had one vaginal u/s and that was at 5 weeks pg in 2002 to confirm a m/c.
#10 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 PM

The earliest I saw a baby abdominally was yesterday at 9 weeks...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page